MATCH: Dorking Wanderers (A) 06/01/24

1 minute ago, League one forever said:

People don’t get it do they. 

What he’s doing with the obvious gaps in the side is outstanding. 

I’ll forever be haunted for having MM doubts prior to him getting the job. Virtually pricing up my MM tattoo this weekend. 😂

• Like 1

10 hours ago, jsslatic said:

There are some remarkable takes on here.

I saw it said a few years ago but most Latics fans don't know what a promotion team looks like. I count myself in that. We've not seen one play for more than twice a season for 33 years.

We've not seen a non-title winning promotion team play for more than twice a season for over fifty years.

How many times over the years have we seen teams who were shit when we played them go up? Plenty.

We're not going to win or even play convincingly every week. We may (and do) get dicked from time to time. The fact we pick up points in games we play well in and games we don't is a good thing.

Just enjoy it ffs. We've waited long enough.

Great post 👍

As many of us have long known/suspected, we are the biggest underachievers in English football over the last 50 years, and here’s the sad confirmation:

http://www.skysports.com/share/13041555

So yes, as you say, enjoy it!!

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Frankly Mr Shankly said:

I just think what MM’s grinding out with a generically-not-up-to-scratch midfield is nothing short of a miracle.

Fuck me, I watched Sheron amble about not marking anyone all the second half and we still came away with a clean sheet. The back three, along with wing backs Sutton and Kitching were excellently drilled.

I watched Sheron too…he stood off everyone, made no challenges and looked completely off the pace!

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, oafc1955 said:

I watched Sheron too…he stood off everyone, made no challenges and looked completely off the pace!

Also with McGahey and Lundstram rarely touching the ball it was a remarkable result with in effect 8 men.

MM must address the midfield problem as a priority or the luck will soon run out.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Frankly Mr Shankly said:

I’ll forever be haunted for having MM doubts prior to him getting the job. Virtually pricing up my MM tattoo this weekend. 😂

me too. l'm thinking 'l love teatime' or '6PM HERE WE COME' which sounds like a Hacienda classic.

• Like 2

Just reading through these replies…

Think people need a to realise this midfield is dog turd and has been since we’ve been in this league.

Not sure Mellon can do much more other than grind out results with these players. We aren’t suddenly going to turn into a prime passing team.

I also can’t see us overhauling the midfield mid-season, so until we do, then we’ll just have to enjoy the wins and not the performance. Pretty remarkable the results we are getting at the moment with these cloggers, so let’s just enjoy our march to the playoffs. (I also expect a couple of dreadful losses here or there, but they are usually followed up by a win). 

I for one enjoyed yesterday. New ground ticked off, 3 points gained, what's not to like? Norwood should have bagged one or two before Mike's strike, and Sutton was unfortunate not to score with one of his chances. After they made the first half sub due to the injury it was all them, and the second half was played almost entirely in our territory. But we held on - three points gained! A draw would probably have been a fair result, but who cares.

Was interesting to hear that Fondop ("Michael!", "Michael!") had to be coached throughout the whole match around where to stand, who to press, when to hold and when to push, both by 5PM and the other players - McGahey, Norwood, and Sheron in particular. And 5PM was quite regularly bollocking Lundstram for not being more attacking minded - probably why he got hauled for relegation Dan (who was dreadful, again).

• Like 2

If we play 532 the way we did yesterday we cede possession and territory to the opposition in a way that makes it very difficult to win the ball back - the back 5 was flat when we were defending so the front five had an impossible job trying to co-ordinate any kind of press because they were always out-numbered. Dorking worked out after about half an hour wehere the space was and dominated the game from that point on.

At home against Hartlepool the formation was much more dynamic and changed at least twice during the course of the match. The switch from Hope to McGahey for this game was an indication of a more defensive mindset. 

I would agree with other posters that as turgid an experience as it was watching the game, and I couldn't really summon an awful lot of backs-against-the-wall excitement and suspense for hanging on against Dorking, it's a real pleasure to have burgled three points we didn't really deserve. Also testament to the manager and players for the resilience they demonstrated.

Hope and expect to see something a bit different against Boreham Wood on Tuesday. They are a big, nasty, athletic team although relatively slow at the back. At the very least I would expect Hope to come back in for McGahey. Perhaps the introduction of Willoughby and/or Walker on the hour after Big Mikey has roughed up their centre halves for half an hour. Defenders will need their wits about them against Ndlovu and co.

Onwards and upwards, we're in the play off places.      

8 hours ago, rudemedic said:

Lasted 10 to 15 minutes.

If Oldham ever get out of this league, the one thing I will always remember is Dorking. I can honestly say they are fast becoming my second team.

• Like 3

12 hours ago, BP1960 said:

Glad for the 3 points, but felt flat after the game, in the long run we can't carry on being outpassed by practicality every team we play.

I went with a few mates yesterday and the overriding emotion this morning (despite the victory) was one of disappointment - particularly with our second half performance. The midfield was simply not competitive - they out passed us, out thought us and we had no answer.

Far too often this season, average sides make us look poor because the midfield just doesn’t work hard enough. We are hesitant when on the ball and slow to react when out of possession.

Under Mellon the back five and keeper have improved significantly but the midfield continues to labour - I’m not sure why McGahey was brought back in to start and why Lundstram (who was way off the pace) was not substituted at half time. 

In the end we defended well and clung on for the win - special mentions go out to Hudson, Raglan and Fondop(!) who were all great at the back yesterday.

We need more energy and tempo in the midfield and that right back we’ve been wanting all season.

It is good to win but we are still far too inconsistent in our performance - in Mellon we trust…I suppose 😳

4 hours ago, Worcester Owl said:

Great post 👍

As many of us have long known/suspected, we are the biggest underachievers in English football over the last 50 years, and here’s the sad confirmation:

http://www.skysports.com/share/13041555

So yes, as you say, enjoy it!!

According to that, our average position over the past 50 years is second bottom of the Championship.

Oh, to be fighting a relegation battle in the second tier again!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Hemel latic said:

If we play 532 the way we did yesterday we cede possession and territory to the opposition in a way that makes it very difficult to win the ball back - the back 5 was flat when we were defending so the front five had an impossible job trying to co-ordinate any kind of press because they were always out-numbered. Dorking worked out after about half an hour wehere the space was and dominated the game from that point on.

At home against Hartlepool the formation was much more dynamic and changed at least twice during the course of the match. The switch from Hope to McGahey for this game was an indication of a more defensive mindset. 

I would agree with other posters that as turgid an experience as it was watching the game, and I couldn't really summon an awful lot of backs-against-the-wall excitement and suspense for hanging on against Dorking, it's a real pleasure to have burgled three points we didn't really deserve. Also testament to the manager and players for the resilience they demonstrated.

Hope and expect to see something a bit different against Boreham Wood on Tuesday. They are a big, nasty, athletic team although relatively slow at the back. At the very least I would expect Hope to come back in for McGahey. Perhaps the introduction of Willoughby and/or Walker on the hour after Big Mikey has roughed up their centre halves for half an hour. Defenders will need their wits about them against Ndlovu and co.

Onwards and upwards, we're in the play off places.      

Good post. 

It’s the inconsistency in the midfield that get me, Hartlepool away the midfield of Hope, Lundy, and Sheron were superb- they covered every blade of grass, got up and down, defended and created. 

Yesterday they all looked lost, the passing was dire and they looked leggy. Like you say, the combination of 3 really impacts us I think, added to the fact he only has two out and out midfielders he can rely on- (sometimes) Hope is a stop gap, so is Maghey. Gardener can’t stay fit enough. Dicky gasses after an hour, Ward is the forgotten man. 

The keeper and defence are generally very good. 

Norwood does what he does and is helped by Mikey and Reid’s goals. 

But that midfield is either very good, or absolutely woeful. We definitely need two box to box midfielders in the summer, who we can rely on more than 1 game in 3

11 hours ago, League one forever said:

People don’t get it do they. 

What he’s doing with the obvious gaps in the side is outstanding. 

Well he needs to fill those gaps immediately, he has the chance to bring in the necessary better players, there's plenty about, not keep selecting the same failures.