Halifax Away Tickets

On 3/6/2024 at 8:35 PM, oafc1955 said:

It’s because the league is shite, it’s hard to get too excited about away days when the majority are 200+ miles away and now its a bloody expensive pastime!!

I think this is right. We haven’t come to terms with being non league in my view and don’t always realise that the players we have at are disposal are (last season aside) the worst crop of players we have ever had.

sheron is the best example of this. Generally seen to add value but he is fundamentally a non-league footballer who in the not too distance past wouldn’t have made a living out of being a footballer 

3 minutes ago, AndyB2 said:

I think this is right. We haven’t come to terms with being non league in my view and don’t always realise that the players we have at are disposal are (last season aside) the worst crop of players we have ever had.

sheron is the best example of this. Generally seen to add value but he is fundamentally a non-league footballer who in the not too distance past wouldn’t have made a living out of being a footballer 

This may well be right but I don't think you can tar them all with the same brush, there are a number of players in there who would do just fine in the EFL.

What I see is a group of players with very little identity, we are missing players still in key areas that would pull them together, there's been an almost obsession at the club over the past two seasons to harvest centre forwards and centre halfs to the detriment in my opinion to the team and decisions on the recruitment side have been and in my opinion continue to be baffling, it's probably too easy to continue blaming players but you have to have some sympathy with them at times given the lob sided nature of the squad.

Since Frank ploughed the families money in nobody has identified what we need to build a team, we have and continue to just harvest players in the same positions without any real strategy and then they all scratch their heads together wondering why all these great individuals we've bought can't string two passes together. 

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, yarddog73 said:

This may well be right but I don't think you can tar them all with the same brush, there are a number of players in there who would do just fine in the EFL.

What I see is a group of players with very little identity, we are missing players still in key areas that would pull them together, there's been an almost obsession at the club over the past two seasons to harvest centre forwards and centre halfs to the detriment in my opinion to the team and decisions on the recruitment side have been and in my opinion continue to be baffling, it's probably too easy to continue blaming players but you have to have some sympathy with them at times given the lob sided nature of the squad.

Since Frank ploughed the families money in nobody has identified what we need to build a team, we have and continue to just harvest players in the same positions without any real strategy and then they all scratch their heads together wondering why all these great individuals we've bought can't string two passes together. 

Crop is a collective term in this context 

10 minutes ago, yarddog73 said:

Sheron and green don’t get anywhere near our teams from l2 days, perhaps last season aside. 

27 minutes ago, yarddog73 said:

I think that was the plan under Unsworth. To build the infrastructure and the identity of the club from nothing with a 3 season plan of progress and ultimately promotion. But they picked the wrong man unfortunately. 

This season Mellon has come in half way through. Building an identity will have been put on hold whilst he was trying to turn form around and get into the playoffs. 

I’m expecting to see something different after the summer. 

• Like 4

43 minutes ago, AndyB2 said:

Sheron and green don’t get anywhere near our teams from l2 days, perhaps last season aside. 

Sheron any worse than Fane? Probably not. My issue it the balance of the team and has been since the Rothwells came in, it's scandalous with the resources available that we still lack players in key areas yet our squad on the back of the programme is close to a second page.

2 hours ago, yarddog73 said:

Sheron any worse than Fane? Probably not. My issue it the balance of the team and has been since the Rothwells came in, it's scandalous with the resources available that we still lack players in key areas yet our squad on the back of the programme is close to a second page.

The biggest issue is that we haven’t been able to secure any decent loan players to really make the difference. Our ability to compete at higher levels was underpinned by some great loans over recent years. You know who. They have dried up, most likely because of where we are. The net effect is that we have a significantly poorer team taken as a whole. 

4 hours ago, nzlatic said:

I think that was the plan under Unsworth. To build the infrastructure and the identity of the club from nothing with a 3 season plan of progress and ultimately promotion. But they picked the wrong man unfortunately. 

This season Mellon has come in half way through. Building an identity will have been put on hold whilst he was trying to turn form around and get into the playoffs. 

I’m expecting to see something different after the summer. 

This all feels like a bit of a cop out.

We are playing in NL and I think we need to realise that unless we do a chesterfield, notts or Wrexham (which some may say is the expectation) then our team, no matter how balanced it is and whether or not it has ‘an identity’, will be underwhelming. The quality of football will probably reflect that. 

Edited by AndyB2

42 minutes ago, AndyB2 said:

The biggest issue is that we haven’t been able to secure any decent loan players to really make the difference. Our ability to compete at higher levels was underpinned by some great loans over recent years. You know who. They have dried up, most likely because of where we are. The net effect is that we have a significantly poorer team taken as a whole. 

A certain Josh Stones should have recovered from his ligament injury soon - let’s bring him back for the season’s last few games 😉

39 minutes ago, TheBigDog said:

A certain Josh Stones should have recovered from his ligament injury soon - let’s bring him back for the season’s last few games 😉

Met Josh Stones last week , said he won’t play again this season 😞

The thing that is most baffling to me is that a fair chunk of our signings under Unsworth were supposedly top players at their respective clubs ie. Lundstram, Willoughby, Ward, Shelton & even Nuttall yet they are now all probably surplus to requirements.

They may have proved to be poor signings but surely poor tactics and coaching must have contributed in some way to their lack of progress!

23 minutes ago, TheBigDog said:

Whilst you'd have him back in a heartbeat this just reaffirms my point, who would he come in for?, not sure Norwood would be happy sat on the bench.

Our squad and the way it's put together needs an overhaul, you've got to think the board are looking closely at this closely.

3 hours ago, AndyB2 said:

This all feels like a bit of a cop out.

We are playing in NL and I think we need to realise that unless we do a chesterfield, notts or Wrexham (which some may say is the expectation) then our team, no matter how balanced it is and whether or not it has ‘an identity’, will be underwhelming. The quality of football will probably reflect that. 

What does do a x even mean? They have all had vastly different journeys in this godforsaken league, just like we are having, with the only thing that they have in common is doing exactly what you say wont work.

A Chesterfield- languish in the league for 6 seasons and only start to see success when you re-employ your last decent manager who builds a squad and identity for a few seasons?

A Notts County- drop down and adapt quickly to make the playoffs every season only to finally win them in your 4th season after the club is bought out and taking a punt on an unproven but ultimately talented manager that is given time to build a squad and identity?

A Wrexham- make the division home for 15 years only to be bought out by Hollywood stars with extremely deep pockets who go on to appoint a proven manager that is given time (and relatively vast resources) to build a squad and an identity?

Edited by LaticsEddie
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, LaticsEddie said:

What does do a x even mean? They have all had vastly different journeys in this godforsaken league, just like we are having, with the only thing that they have in common is doing exactly what you say wont work.

A Chesterfield- languish in the league for 6 seasons and only start to see success when you re-employ your last decent manager who builds a squad and identity for a few seasons?

A Notts County- drop down and adapt quickly to make the playoffs every season only to finally win them in your 4th season after the club is bought out and taking a punt on an unproven but ultimately talented manager that is given time to build a squad and identity?

A Wrexham- make the division home for 15 years only to be bought out by Hollywood stars with extremely deep pockets who go on to appoint a proven manager that is given time (and relatively vast resources) to build a squad and an identity?

I meant ‘do an x’ in their respective promo seasons

Most teams that get out of this league do so whilst looking decidedly non league. Our performances are not explained by us being unbalanced, having no identify or some other nebulous concept, it’s because we are a non league team with players which reflect that. 

We are highly likely to look non league with under whelming performances being a regular occurrence in the season we get out of here. That’s non league football. It’s turgid and shit played by individuals with limited abilities. The result is a poor quality product. It gets better when we have departed this league 

On 3/6/2024 at 7:28 PM, BradKnowles1 said:

Put this in a group chat 

Find our fans very weird atm we sit 5th highest position in years. First 10 games bottom 4 but it feels like we aren’t challenging for out just playing dead rubbers. 

Brad, I`ve given this some thought since I started watching us again and it feels a bit like this:-

I used to love going to the Roxy cinema in Hollinwood. Let's pretend it wasn't demolished but that Frank came and bought it and restored it to its former glory. People flocked down for the opening night with a new James Bond film on show. Fantastic and a lot then went every weekend with their girlfriends. It was all a great new adventure. Then, the cinema director he'd left in charge started to just put on poor, low-budget movies every Saturday. The people got bored and some stopped going.....

That's how it feels to me. The big difference is that we apparently have a high budget but are producing low budget dross at home. On a fixed income it's increasingly difficult to justify £40/£50 as a POTD, drink, pie, transport etc. to watch the likes of Kidderminster and Woking play us off the park. I stuggle to get to away games but it's really simple. Sort out the home performances and the buzz will be back I`m sure. 

12 minutes ago, spanishfly said:

Brad, I`ve given this some thought since I started watching us again and it feels a bit like this:-

I used to love going to the Roxy cinema in Hollinwood. Let's pretend it wasn't demolished but that Frank came and bought it and restored it to its former glory. People flocked down for the opening night with a new James Bond film on show. Fantastic and a lot then went every weekend with their girlfriends. It was all a great new adventure. Then, the cinema director he'd left in charge started to just put on poor, low-budget movies every Saturday. The people got bored and some stopped going.....

That's how it feels to me. The big difference is that we apparently have a high budget but are producing low budget dross at home. On a fixed income it's increasingly difficult to justify £40/£50 as a POTD, drink, pie, transport etc. to watch the likes of Kidderminster and Woking play us off the park. I stuggle to get to away games but it's really simple. Sort out the home performances and the buzz will be back I`m sure. 

In short. The football that most see is utter shite.

we all know that’s the explanation. Let’s stop pretending to be perplexed as to why there is no buzz, over thinking it and coming up with weird metaphors 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AndyB2 said:

In short. The football that most see is utter shite.

we all know that’s the explanation. Let’s stop pretending to be perplexed as to why there is no buzz, over thinking it and coming up with weird metaphors 

I agree with you, I was just putting it in other terms as some people clearly are perplexed as to why everyone isn't jumping up and down with excitement or being ultra positive. As you say what we are seeing, certainly at home, is shit. 

Edited by spanishfly

54 minutes ago, spanishfly said:

Oh I agree. I was just trying to put it in other terms as some people do seem perplexed as to why everyone isn't jumping up and down with excitement and being ultra positive. As you say, what we are seeing, certainly at home, is shit. 

No-one is being ultra positive and people are definitely not jumping up and down with excitement. Where are you getting this from?

I completely agree about no buzz. I can't excited either but I do try and see positive things, but always admit that the football is bad but are hopeful it will improve. If that is being ultra positive then I am one of them, although I would say that is balanced.

Nothing is all bad  and definitely nothing is all good. You don't have to be totally one way or the other.

19 hours ago, Only Blue said:

No-one is being ultra positive and people are definitely not jumping up and down with excitement. Where are you getting this from?

I completely agree about no buzz. I can't excited either but I do try and see positive things, but always admit that the football is bad but are hopeful it will improve. If that is being ultra positive then I am one of them, although I would say that is balanced.

Nothing is all bad  and definitely nothing is all good. You don't have to be totally one way or the other.

We all see the positives and it’s a spectrum. On the pitch it is unsatisfactory overall. 5/6 out of 10.  Will that do you?

23 hours ago, spanishfly said:

But what if the cinema manager explained that he can’t get the fancy dan blockbusters just at the moment, because the production companies have them at the big chain screens, but trust the process and after the summer, you’ll get hold of plenty of the dick-hardening high octane action movies and you can gladly throw those low-budget movies in the skip, located just off Hollins Road? 

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, BradKnowles1 said:

My brother is a Halifax rugby fan watching their game today says the pitch is a mud bath. He can’t see Tuesday being on. 

I had a gander on their forum and that's a common opinion.