MATCH: Oxford City (A) 13/04/24

4 minutes ago, Guy Branston Pickle said:

Surely any professional would want to prove that they are good enough,  because they certainly haven’t this season. The ones who aren't prepared to do that can fuck off for the easy life somewhere like Kings Lynn.

It isn't realistic to expect a load of players on the best contracts they'll ever have at the biggest club they'll ever be at to give it up easily.

That's why his outburst was utterly ridiculous and petulant.

11 minutes ago, Guy Branston Pickle said:

Surely any professional would want to prove that they are good enough,  because certainly haven’t this season. The ones who aren't prepared to do that can fuck off for the easy life somewhere like Kings Lynn.

In any job, do you think being told your shit is the best way to motivate people?

Maybe the fans should be on Mellon's back more and it might motivate him to be a better manger? 

Edited by O.A.F.C.

4 minutes ago, O.A.F.C. said:

In any job, do you think being told your shit is the best way to motivation people?

Maybe the fans should be on Mellon's back more and it might motivate him to be a better manger? 

Being told you aren't performing well enough should be good motivation, yes. Would you argue against that assessment?

What should he be doing, rubbing their heads and tell them they're doing a great job?

And let's not pretend Oldham fans need an excuse to get on a managers back

Edited by Guy Branston Pickle

9 minutes ago, Londonboy said:

I've said it loads of times 

We need more width and pace, and if we get this we will be a different side. I don't 100% agree with our whole squad is shit, we just need some players in specific positions, ie full backs and wingers. We are so fucking slow and narrow it's embarrassing.

Our best form and run was when Green and/or Stones were playing who gave us this.

Invest in 2 or 3 younger pacey wide men and the likes of Conlan and Lundy will look better players.

It will also stop the opposition pushing us back at the first opportunity.

Mellons biggest mistake was not addressing this when he came in.

And don't forget there was no transfer window in the National League....HE chose to bring in Dallas and Garner etc when he could have spent the money on what we actually needed.

If this is not addressed as a priority in July then he will fail and he will be gone by Xmas.

Sorry to repeat myself again as is my habit, but MM had chances to play wingers Atherton and Walker in the same team, but never did. Both will go on to play at a far higher level than us IMO. 

He stuck with his failed turgid 7 at the back hoofball and that's what annoys me more that anything.

Edited by BP1960
  • Like 2

Just now, Guy Branston Pickle said:

Being told you aren't performing well enough should be good motivation, yes. Would you argue against that assessment?

What should he be doing, rubbing their heads and tell them they're doing a great job?

Coaching them, trying to develop them maybe? Where's his accountability? A few token words seems to be the most of it.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Guy Branston Pickle said:

Surely any professional would want to prove that they are good enough,  because they certainly haven’t this season. The ones who aren't prepared to do that can fuck off for the easy life somewhere like Kings Lynn.

I agree with you from a professional pride point of view, it should be the case. 

But it’s just not the reality. There will be contracted players in that squad next season who we can’t shift and have been told they’re not good enough this season.  If you were brought in to play after that- would you be at your best? 

The best case scenario is those players are at a minimum and aren’t involved in the match day squad. 

The worst case scenario is we still need some of them, because the budget won’t allow their replacement. 

Whatever happens in the summer, he needs to sit down with some players still here and make sure they’re on side. Otherwise they’ll just Jack it in again when things get tough, or he tell them some home truths. 

4 minutes ago, O.A.F.C. said:

In any job, do you think being told your shit is the best way to motivate people?

I agree, but one person's "telling people they're shit" is another person's "demanding higher standards of others".  Apparently...

1 minute ago, BP1960 said:

Sorry to repeat myself again as is my habit, but MM had chances to play wingers Atherton and Walker in the same team, but never did. Both will go on to play a far higher level than us IMO. 

He stuck with his failed turgid 7 at the back hoofball and that's what annoys me more that anything.

Walker isn't going to play at a far higher level, you really need to admit defeat on that one.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Guy Branston Pickle said:

Yeah I would argue if I didn't agree with what he was saying.  Who's to say he's being fair and not just blaming his scapegoats whilst his favourites get left alone? 

He's a manager, it's his job to 'manage' people and get the best out of them.  This is what he's struggling to do.

1 minute ago, deyres42 said:

Coaching them, trying to develop them maybe? Where's his accountability? A few token words seems to be the most of it.

Do you not think he's doing this? Is he just letting them have carte blanche in training and then slagging them off after the fact?

I reckon he's coached enough successful sides to know when players aren't up to it. Some of you seem to think he should be taking them out for ice cream after games

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, JoeP said:

I agree, but one person's "telling people they're shit" is another person's "demanding higher standards of others".  Apparently...

It happens, I read even Elvis was told to stick to truck driving, but it seemed to spurred him on rather than packing in singing.

1 minute ago, O.A.F.C. said:

Yeah I would argue if I didn't agree with what he was saying.  Who's to say he's being fair and not just blaming his scapegoats whilst his favourites get left alone? 

He's a manager, it's his job to 'manage' people and get the best out of them.  This is what he's struggling to do.

I get the impression players don't like his turgid tactics so just hoof the ball anyway.

5 minutes ago, Guy Branston Pickle said:

Come on Guy. 

The bottom line is, the players it would seem have no interest in playing for him at the minute. The players will ultimately be the ones who get us promoted, Mellon nor the fans can start a war with them. Otherwise we really are in big trouble. 

Mellon says- if you can’t change the player change the player. 

Then says - it’s really difficult because of the contracts. 

Which illustrates the point perfectly. 

He might as well say- I’ve tried, but they’re all shit, but I can’t move them on so god knows what will happen. 

10 minutes ago, League one forever said:

Come on Guy. 

The bottom line is, the players it would seem have no interest in playing for him at the minute. The players will ultimately be the ones who get us promoted, Mellon nor the fans can start a war with them. Otherwise we really are in big trouble. 

Mellon says- if you can’t change the player change the player. 

Then says - it’s really difficult because of the contracts. 

Which illustrates the point perfectly. 

He might as well say- I’ve tried, but they’re all shit, but I can’t move them on so god knows what will happen. 

So are we meant to accept that 10th is a true indication of how good our squad is? 

35 minutes ago, Londonboy said:

I've said it loads of times 

We need more width and pace, and if we get this we will be a different side. I don't 100% agree with our whole squad is shit, we just need some players in specific positions, ie full backs and wingers. We are so fucking slow and narrow it's embarrassing.

Our best form and run was when Green and/or Stones were playing who gave us this.

Invest in 2 or 3 younger pacey wide men and the likes of Conlan and Lundy will look better players.

It will also stop the opposition pushing us back at the first opportunity.

Mellons biggest mistake was not addressing this when he came in.

And don't forget there was no transfer window in the National League....HE chose to bring in Dallas and Garner etc when he could have spent the money on what we actually needed.

If this is not addressed as a priority in July then he will fail and he will be gone by Xmas.

Been saying the same myself, Kanu and Sinclair would be two straight away who'd make us better, try the young lad Atherton out wide it makes us a different beast with wide men and this is an area that's been completely neglected.

Just now, O.A.F.C. said:

So are we meant to accept that 10th is a true indication of how good our squad is? 

No, not at all. 

This squad is more than good enough to finish at least 7th.

We’ve won 2 in 13.

If we had won 3 or 4 in 13 we’d still be in with a shout. 

In my view- the squad has underachieved but Mellon is putting it all on the players (despite saying he’s not above criticism) he needs to look in the mirror over the summer and ask why they’re not interested in anymore- because quite simply we can’t sack 20 players. 

1 minute ago, yarddog73 said:

Been saying the same myself, Kanu and Sinclair would be two straight away who'd make us better, try the young lad Atherton out wide it makes us a different beast with wide men and this is an area that's been completely neglected.

Didn’t he say Wingers have gone out of the game? 

3 minutes ago, League one forever said:

Yeah, pretty much- which isn’t good for next season and getting the best out of those still here. 

The only alternative is to blow smoke up supporters' arses as DU was doing. The Emperors new clothes approach. That unravelled as quick as our gameplans do at home.

I can't find much fault in MM's approach to interviews. He's being as diplomatic as possible, scarecly picks out a player for criticism publically and said pretty much what was on the tin. It's in striking contrast to someone like Marc White (who I admire in other ways by the way) or Luke Garrard (who I can't stomach) who week to week were regularly picking out negatives in players in post match pressers. That's certainly not how to handle pressure, demonstrated by Dorking and Boreham Wood's league positions.

• Like 1

Just now, Frankly Mr Shankly said:

The only alternative is to blow smoke up supporters' arses as DU was doing. The Emperors new clothes approach. That unravelled as quick as our gameplans do at home.

😂👍🏻

1 minute ago, Frankly Mr Shankly said:

I can't find much fault in MM's approach to interviews. He's being as diplomatic as possible, scarecly picks out a player for criticism publically and said pretty much what was on the tin. It's in striking contrast to someone like Marc White (who I admire in other ways by the way) or Luke Garrard (who I can't stomach) who week to week were regularly picking out negatives in players in post match pressers. That's certainly not how to handle pressure, demonstrated by Dorking and Boreham Wood's league positions.

Yeah, he doesn’t bring anyone up specifically to be fair. Although I’m not really questioning the interview - I enjoyed it, at least it showed he cared. I’m more looking at the impact on next season, and him looking in the mirror- because what he wants - he can’t have. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, League one forever said:

While I like his honesty- there does feel like a bit of retrospective arse covering Joe. 

These players that are so bad, had us 5th. They had top 3 form for a while. They had the best away form in the league for weeks on end. We didn’t hear any of this in Jan or early Feb.  Did he perform a miracle from Oct to Feb?? I’m not having that a lot of them are now suddenly shit. He says he’s not above criticism, but doesn’t like direct questioning of his methods. . he has to reflect and ask why they’ve down tools on him. Because that’s exactly what’s happened, they don’t look interested. Remember - You do not have to be good to finish 7th. 

The worry is,  he wheels and deals but the scars of this season and his approach with the players are still there. At no point can you sack a squad. The players will always win. 

If they stick with him, I think it could take two years to sort- and I don’t think the fanbase will have the stomach for it. 

I dunno - I don't think he can really win in interviews. Say everything's fine and he's blowing smoke up our arses. Says - accurately - that things aren't well and it's a bad move and demotivating. I don't think there's anything wrong with what he's said and the timing, which is when we're almost certainly not going to make the play-offs. 

Something needed to be said about these players. The changing room is not harmonious. The other option was to pretend everything's fine and nothing will change moving forward. 

As I say, we've signed a group of individuals, rather than a team. We need to address that. We need good characters, along side talent. I think Gardner is a good character to have around, Fondop is and Conlon is supposedly too. It it'll be a surprise to no one who I think is bottom of the list on that front!

• Like 1

He said yesterday what he told the players ten games ago, it's not rocket science. 

I personally feel he wasn't arsed too much about going up because of who we had on the books next season before a ball was kicked and that group barring a few would have us relegated back out of League 2 in no time.

• Like 1