MATCH: Oxford City (A) 13/04/24

22 minutes ago, jsslatic said:

And that ignores the ridiculous suggestion we'd be better off for having Willoughby and Tollitt around.

Well none of those that came in since look any better.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, jsslatic said:

And that ignores the ridiculous suggestion we'd be better off for having Willoughby and Tollitt around.

Why is it ridiculous? Both scored today and I don't believe for a second that's down to them playing at a "lower" level. 

It's us that's the problem, not them...

32 minutes ago, JoeP said:

Why is it ridiculous? Both scored today and I don't believe for a second that's down to them playing at a "lower" level. 

Oh come on…. Willoughby and Tollitt are crap, of course it’s due to the level they’re playing at, in that they’ve found their level. Tollitt couldn’t make Kidderminster's squad most weeks and Willoughby has never performed higher than the league below either. 
We are a problem, but our problem is signing shit players who are still here and shit players like Tollitt and Willoughby to begin with. 

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, JoeP said:

Willoughbys goal was a penalty against a team with just one win in 2024

18 minutes ago, daniel said:

Oh come on…. Willoughby and Tollitt are crap, of course it’s due to the level they’re playing at, in that they’ve found their level. Tollitt couldn’t make Kidderminster's squad most weeks and Willoughby has never performed higher than the league below either. 
We are a problem, but our problem is signing shit players who are still here and shit players like Tollitt and Willoughby to begin with. 

Nah, I don't think that's right. 

There's no way Willoughby and Tollit are "crap" in the context of our first eleven today. Shez's starting eleven against Dorking at the start of last season are better than what we've got now. 

From there we've chucked money at it and it's somehow worse. Something ain't right..

• Like 1

Just now, JoeP said:

Nah, I don't think that's right. 

There's no way Willoughby and Tollit are "crap" in the context of our first eleven today. Shez's starting eleven against Dorking at the start of last season are better than what we've got now. 

From there we've chucked money at it and it's somehow worse. Something ain't right..

I agree about something not being right, but completely disagree that Willoughby/Tollitt would have been better out there. They’ll both be playing league below us next season (rumoured that Willoughby is going back to Chester), which is their level for me. 

What an absolute shambles today, we couldn’t even beat a relegated set of decorators a plumbers, these players couldn’t give a toss, as for Mellon ffs 1 win in how many now!!!!! Total shit show, I feel sorry for the rothwells letting other pricks waste their money away!!! 🤦🏻‍♂️🤦🏻‍♂️

• Like 1

6 hours ago, BradKnowles1 said:

Very bizarre interviewing from Mellon. Says hardest job he’s done tougher times ahead. Very confusing 

I don't think it was bizarre. It was one of his most revealing yet. Plainly obvious he's had to bite his lip since he came in with an assessment after just two matches that there were huge problems ahead. He'd love to throw 75% of them under the bus immediately but he still has to try and get a tune out of them.

He's not without blame of course. Mistakes have been made, probably by trusting players he couldn't and who have let the club down during the season. 

I'd back him to ensure we had a much leaner, much better team next season. It'll take a lot of wheeling and dealing and I don't think we'll be the finished article by any stretch. But I'd expect we'll field a side that can turn 1-0 leads into wins and matches like today into three, fairly ugly points. Man's a proven winner and not someone you'll want to underestimate to get it right in my opinion. Back him.

• Like 9

7 hours ago, Frankly Mr Shankly said:

I don't think it was bizarre. It was one of his most revealing yet. Plainly obvious he's had to bite his lip since he came in with an assessment after just two matches that there were huge problems ahead. He'd love to throw 75% of them under the bus immediately but he still has to try and get a tune out of them.

He's not without blame of course. Mistakes have been made, probably by trusting players he couldn't and who have let the club down during the season. 

I'd back him to ensure we had a much leaner, much better team next season. It'll take a lot of wheeling and dealing and I don't think we'll be the finished article by any stretch. But I'd expect we'll field a side that can turn 1-0 leads into wins and matches like today into three, fairly ugly points. Man's a proven winner and not someone you'll want to underestimate to get it right in my opinion. Back him.

The best thing I took away was the “You can change the player or you can change the player”…😳

Can't argue with the interview.. He's being as honest as he can be. Didn't try to kid anyone. 

These players have failed under this manager and failed under the last manager. Unsworth tried to bluff his way through interviews, but Mellon is painting a more believable picture. 

The problem is we're stuck with a lot of them next year too. I can't see it getting any better. It's not a stretch to think Mellon's been given a dud hand - it seems even more dud than he initially thought. It would need an exceptional manager to get something out of this lot. So exceptional, such a manager probably doesn't exist. It's not worth rolling the dice by getting rid of Mellon. Give him time and see how it goes, but we've stitched ourselves up next season with the players we've signed and contracts we've handed out.

• Like 9

12 hours ago, JoeP said:

Go on then what is the problem with us if it isn’t the quality of our players? 

12 hours ago, 100milesaway said:

Well none of those that came in since look any better.

Thar doesn't make the likes of Willoughby Tollit and Reid the answer.

I saw moments from Tollit and Reid the former I think that's just what he is he's capable of moments of magic but they are too infrequent and he gives you nothing without the ball to make up for it. Reid seems more interested in being a social media star than a footballer. Willoughby has shown nothing to warrant us giving him any game time all 3 will have been told to look for new clubs hopefully for our sake and theirs they find them this summer.

19 minutes ago, JoeP said:

Can't argue with the interview.. He's being as honest as he can be. Didn't try to kid anyone. 

These players have failed under this manager and failed under the last manager. Unsworth tried to bluff his way through interviews, but Mellon is painting a more believable picture. 

The problem is we're stuck with a lot of them next year too. I can't see it getting any better. It's not a stretch to think Mellon's been given a dud hand - it seems even more dud than he initially thought. It would need an exceptional manager to get something out of this lot. So exceptional, such a manager probably doesn't exist. It's not worth rolling the dice by getting rid of Mellon. Give him time and see how it goes, but we've stitched ourselves up next season with the players we've signed and contracts we've handed out.

Don't write next season off just yet I think we will have more wriggle room than some think. Just because a number of these players are under contract doesn't mean they will be here next season. I think several will be moved on or actually want to move on in some cases. We won't shift all of them but we might not need to shift all of them. Some of them just need the right players around then and the right team structure to play in and they will thrive.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, AndyB2 said:

Go on then what is the problem with us if it isn’t the quality of our players? 

Well that's the $64,000 question, innit?

We've got a squad of previous promotion winners, Players of the season at other clubs and League One strikers, but they've all been woeful under two managers and look like they don't want to be here. 

Actually, if I could hazard a guess at what the problem is, we've signed too many individuals based on Statbomb or whatever, rather than built an actual team. We need personalities probably more than quality and this lot don't have that. I'd actually keep the likes of Fondop next season to have around the place as what he lacks in talent, he makes up for in attitude.

Edited by JoeP
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, JoeP said:

Well that's the $64,000 question, innit?

We've got a squad of previous promotion winners, Players of the season at other clubs and League One strikers, but they've all been woeful under two managers and look like they don't want to be here. 

Actually, if I could hazard a guess at what the problem is, we've signed too many individuals based on Statbomb or whatever, rather than built an actual team. We need personalities probably more than quality and this lot don't have that. I'd actually keep the likes of Fondop next season to have around the place as what he lacks in talent, he makes up for in attitude.

You make some valid points Joe. As brilliant as he is, if you had 10 Christian Ronaldos in your team, you'd be relegated. The job of a football manager is to build a team, the right players in the right positions with the right attitude; all with a similar mindset; fighters and winners. That's the big problem when people get too fixated with the likes of statsbomb, you can end up with lots of individuals who look good on a graph but who don't actually fit what you are trying to build.

Let Mellon get on with building a team please. The owners are going to have to accept that they have made some huge mistakes putting their faith in certain people. Let a proven manager get on with the job on the pitch. Keep it simple and stop building silly internal structures around a non-league club. Do that if/when you deem it necessary.

• Like 3

For me it's important we replace Hogan both as a player and Captain, he's failed miserably during the run in both as a player and as a leader and for us to improve we need to move him on as he offers little.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, yarddog73 said:

For me it's important we replace Hogan both as a player and Captain, he's failed miserably during the run in both as a player and as a leader and for us to improve we need to move him on as he offers little.

Absolutely. Almost top of the list for getting rid for me. In times of adversity, your leader on the pitch stands up to be counted and grasps the players by the scruff of the neck and gets them fighting for every tackle and point etc. He's failed to do that at all and instead would rather argue with fans. 

9 hours ago, Frankly Mr Shankly said:

I'm with you on this. We wont get better for this level. He will get this right with us. Back him.

Edited by trickyrickyholden
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, JoeP said:

While I like his honesty- there does feel like a bit of retrospective arse covering Joe. 

These players that are so bad, had us 5th. They had top 3 form for a while. They had the best away form in the league for weeks on end. We didn’t hear any of this in Jan or early Feb.  Did he perform a miracle from Oct to Feb?? I’m not having that a lot of them are now suddenly shit. He says he’s not above criticism, but doesn’t like direct questioning of his methods. . he has to reflect and ask why they’ve down tools on him. Because that’s exactly what’s happened, they don’t look interested. Remember - You do not have to be good to finish 7th. 

The worry is,  he wheels and deals but the scars of this season and his approach with the players are still there. At no point can you sack a squad. The players will always win. 

If they stick with him, I think it could take two years to sort- and I don’t think the fanbase will have the stomach for it. 

8 minutes ago, League one forever said:

A lot of this squad will be here next season, they will put it in for Mellon next season after he’s said they’re not good enough? 

Surely any professional would want to prove that they are good enough,  because they certainly haven’t this season. The ones who aren't prepared to do that can fuck off for the easy life somewhere like Kings Lynn.

Edited by Guy Branston Pickle

I've said it loads of times 

We need more width and pace, and if we get this we will be a different side. I don't 100% agree with our whole squad is shit, we just need some players in specific positions, ie full backs and wingers. We are so fucking slow and narrow it's embarrassing.

Our best form and run was when Green and/or Stones were playing who gave us this.

Invest in 2 or 3 younger pacey wide men and the likes of Conlan and Lundy will look better players.

It will also stop the opposition pushing us back at the first opportunity.

Mellons biggest mistake was not addressing this when he came in.

And don't forget there was no transfer window in the National League....HE chose to bring in Dallas and Garner etc when he could have spent the money on what we actually needed.

If this is not addressed as a priority in July then he will fail and he will be gone by Xmas.

Edited by Londonboy
  • Like 1