MATCH: Oxford City (A) 13/04/24

53 minutes ago, League one forever said:

DR told us how it works- I think it was on the pod. 

It’s a vast database that allows you to quickly identify a position without needing to rely on scouting in the first instance. 

The club use it to generate a pool of possibilities and then the manager decides from that pool. (I’m presuming they then scout before the final decision) 

Mellon has said umpteen times- I know what a good player looks like. He keeps repeating it. He specifically said on Saturday-  I know what a good player looks like, and I know where they are. The inference is he doesn’t want to choose from a pool. He wants his picks only. 

If we look at the last 18 months, it’s unbelievable how we’ve ended up here.  

Stats bomb can’t identify a right back. 

It only generates centre halves and strikers. 

Or 

It’s only been used for some players and not others- (could explain the tension between ST and Unsy) and that’s why we’re left with multiple players in some positions and the bare bones or none in others. 

The biggest learning lesson in the summer is this- Mellon and the board have to agree on the recruitment. Either back him to get who he wants, or get a head coach that will work within what the club wants to do. Because at the minute it looks like everyone is pulling in different directions. 

If that’s true, never use stats bomb again to lead recruitment and let Mellon have control. It can’t get any worse.. the man is absolutely raging. 

24 minutes ago, LightDN123 said:

If that’s true, never use stats bomb again to lead recruitment and let Mellon have control. It can’t get any worse.. the man is absolutely raging. 

I’ve no idea who it was or wasn’t used for. 

But the facts speak themselves on the squad make up and the fact Mellon is clearly pissed off. 

Whatever they decide I just want Mellon and board singing off the same hymn sheet. We can’t any more muddled decision making. 

Edited by League one forever
  • Like 1

I don’t know how stats are used in recruitment but I’d hope they’re used to compliment other aspects of recruitment. It’s like performance stats. You wouldn’t pick your team based on them, but they should be useful info as part of assessing your own players. 

I’d be surprised if we’re relying on stats heavily when making signings but it would be useful to have more of an insight. 

16 hours ago, GlossopLatic said:

Interesting point this and one I think we can relate to the fact that we have an old side. Of yesterday's starting 11 only 1 is under 24 that is Sachdev who isn't even our player. I think we need to start looking at young hungry players who can add energy to the team. 

I've said above about the need to embrace change and I very much stand by that but if we can learn one lesson from the past is that signing young hungry players possibly with a point to prove is something that works for us.

Hammond is in this mould and he gets pelters on here. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, disjointed said:

Probably because he's a work in progress. I'm just watching Bunch of Amateurs Marc Whites team talk was that you can beat Oldham by out working us. Theirs something in that we are low energy team and the team needs some youthful enthusiasm.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, disjointed said:

40 minutes ago, Lee Sinnott said:

Does he? Recently, there was only me saying they don't see the hype with him - loads were waxing lyrical about him...

I don't rate him - too weak for this league

47 minutes ago, Lee Sinnott said:

Does he? Recently, there was only me saying they don't see the hype with him - loads were waxing lyrical about him...

I wouldn't say their is much hype or much waxing lyrical more a case people saying he's a player that has abit of potential.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Lee Sinnott said:

I’ve said he’s shite from his first sub appearance. Looks like Micky agrees. 

31 minutes ago, GlossopLatic said:

Probably because he's a work in progress. I'm just watching Bunch of Amateurs Marc Whites team talk was that you can beat Oldham by out working us. Theirs something in that we are low energy team and the team needs some youthful enthusiasm.

Just watched this myself. I'd forgotten how much of an onslaught that second half was. 

19 minutes ago, LightDN123 said:

I’ve said he’s shite from his first sub appearance. Looks like Micky agrees. 

Ah…I see, that must be why he’s given him an 18 month deal then?

24 minutes ago, Gentleman said:

Just watched this myself. I'd forgotten how much of an onslaught that second half was. 

But it's a storm we weathered one part of getting promotion will be the ability to go away from home in deep winter to clubs who's away ends resemble bus stops not play well and grind out a win I don't mind that.

What we've probably learned is that it's not the only way of winning you have to find wins in other scenarios such as being at home against smaller teams who get men behind the ball, or who see coming to Boundary Park as a big game and are massively up for it such as Fylde and Kidderminster, which is where we have really struggled.

Edited by GlossopLatic

58 minutes ago, GlossopLatic said:

What we've probably learned is that it's not the only way of winning you have to find wins in other scenarios such as being at home against smaller teams who get men behind the ball, or who see coming to Boundary Park as a big game and are massively up for it such as Fylde and Kidderminster, which is where we have really struggled.

This gets mentioned a lot but not so sure it's as big a factor as it's made out to be. I would assume Chesterfield face the same problem yet have lost only one game at home all season, with an apparently dodgy centre back pairing. 

Simple fact is that had MM's home form been anywhere near the away form this board would be buzzing with excitement about play-off permutations already. It's made me step back and think a little bit. Is the terrible home showing under MM primarily down to him? Has he been playing into teams' hands by his set up or is it simply we have a woeful midfield that often gets overrun by even poor teams? 

Edited by spanishfly

11 minutes ago, spanishfly said:

This gets mentioned a lot but not so sure it's as big a factor as it's made out to be. I would assume Chesterfield face the same problem yet have lost only one game at home all season, with an apparently dodgy centre back pairing. 

Simple fact is that had MM's home form been anywhere near the away form this board would be buzzing with excitement about play-off permutations already. It's made me step back and think a little bit. Is the terrible home showing under MM primarily down to him? Has he been playing into teams' hands by his set up or is it simply we have a woeful midfield that often gets overrun by even poor teams? 

Think you are missing the point slightly those teams are probably up for it going to Chesterfield but Chesterfield have dealt with it we haven't that's the difference.

1 hour ago, oafc1955 said:

Ah…I see, that must be why he’s given him an 18 month deal then?

Well he can’t get in a match day squad that contains a 28 year old centre back and a central midfielder who can’t pass a ball.

So he’s currently about 6th choice in a midfield that’s weak as piss. 

15 minutes ago, LightDN123 said:

Well he can’t get in a match day squad that contains a 28 year old centre back and a central midfielder who can’t pass a ball.

So he’s currently about 6th choice in a midfield that’s weak as piss. 

I’m not disagreeing with you and the fact he’s given him an 18 month contract is alarming to say the least!

He may have been bought with the future in mind but he hasn’t shown much potential so far.

For me, It was a totally pointless signing when we were crying out for players who could go straight in….baffling to say the least!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, TheBigDog said:

I don't rate him - too weak for this league

I'd keep him, we said this about Callum Whelan and he filled out and ran the show against us at BP.

• Like 1

On 4/14/2024 at 1:00 PM, League one forever said:

No, not at all. 

This squad is more than good enough to finish at least 7th.

We’ve won 2 in 13.

If we had won 3 or 4 in 13 we’d still be in with a shout. 

In my view- the squad has underachieved but Mellon is putting it all on the players (despite saying he’s not above criticism) he needs to look in the mirror over the summer and ask why they’re not interested in anymore- because quite simply we can’t sack 20 players. 

They haven't been though have they.....??

Over a season the table doesn't lie!

We are 12 points off 4th top and 12 off 4th bottom. 

Yes MM needs to take some accountability on tactics, selection etc but at the end of the day based on what's been put out on the field we are fucking average on this tinpot league and unless he changes some personnel and his tactics it will be the same next season.

12 minutes ago, Londonboy said:

They haven't been though have they.....??

Over a season the table doesn't lie!

We are 12 points off 4th top and 12 off 4th bottom. 

Yes MM needs to take some accountability on tactics, selection etc but at the end of the day based on what's been put out on the field we are fucking average on this tinpot league and unless he changes some personnel and his tactics it will be the same next season.

I think we’re agreed? 

The players who have nearly all played higher or won promotion have been bang average over the course of season, and have underachieved. However, they haven’t been helped by poor tactics, and also a complete imbalance with players regularly playing out of position or playing multiple positions- because we don’t have a balanced squad. 

Be nice next season if right back isn’t a centre half. 

If left back cover isn’t a centre half. 

If defensive midfielder isn’t a centre half. 

If centre mid don’t play RWB. 

If our only winger doesn’t LWB.

If forwards don’t play midfield. 

If our star striker doesn’t play out wide. 

• Matt unfeatured this topic