MATCH: Oxford City (A) 13/04/24

2 minutes ago, the_mighty_bosh said:

That Mellon interview sounded like the interview that he's wanted to give for a couple of months at least, and I understand why he hasn't until now.

Agreed. Lot of anger and frustration in that.  He literally hates some of these ‘players’. That’s obvious. 

Essential viewing. 

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, the_mighty_bosh said:

That Mellon interview sounded like the interview that he's wanted to give for a couple of months at least, and I understand why he hasn't until now.

We know these players aren’t top quality but we surely have to do better than that?

Can’t argue with the interview. Some of these players are robbing a living and he knows it. 

Sounded like a cry to the board to support him and get these players out, or he’s off. 

Oh, well done to the fans who turned on Norwood today, well done. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, oafc1955 said:

We know these players aren’t top quality but we surely have to do better than that?

He kept picking the same ones though and axing  some like Hobson who always put a shift in. Banishing 2 forwards like Tollitt and Willoughby when they could have been needed was ridiculous, same with Reid who should have been forgiven for his misdemeanour as he may well have fired us into the play offs.

24 minutes ago, IanMarshall's Mullet said:

From that interview I wouldn't be surprised if Mellon walks if he can't get shut of quite a few players that are contracted for next season.

I thought he might resign too before being pushed.

There's more to life than being a football manager.

His health will suffer if he carries on with most of this lot most next season.

Problem is I'd feel sorry for the next manager as he'd be dumped with much of the same.

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, LightDN123 said:

One thing we can surely agree on regarding Norwood is that he definitely doesn't give a shit what the fans think?

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, BP1960 said:

I thought he might resign too before being pushed.

There's more to life than being a football manager.

His health will suffer if he carries on with most of this lot most next season.

Problem is I'd feel sorry for the next manager as he'd be dumped with much of the same.

There might be something in this, but it's hard for someone in his position to walk away from a three year (?) contract.  The lengthy contract doesn't always just benefit the employee!

1 minute ago, JoeP said:

There might be something in this, but it's hard for someone in his position to walk away from a three year (?) contract.  The lengthy contract doesn't always just benefit the employee!

Maybe a settlement if he nor the club aren't happy?

Edited by BP1960

55 minutes ago, BradKnowles1 said:

Very bizarre interviewing from Mellon. Says hardest job he’s done tougher times ahead. Very confusing 

Because a lot of the players will still be here next season + some those staying have percentage increases bolted in.

It’s no wonder he’s depressed. We have absolutely fucked ourselves. We’re not leaving this division for at least another 4/5 seasons.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, BP1960 said:

He kept picking the same ones though and axing  some like Hobson who always put a shift in. Banishing 2 forwards like Tollitt and Willoughby when they could have been needed was ridiculous, same with Reid who should have been forgiven for his misdemeanour as he may well have fired us into the play offs.

There's a lot of positives about Hobson, but I actually didn't have an issue with him being dropped behind Raglan and Hogan because his distribution was absolutely awful in this bad run we've had.  Dagenham and Aldershot being clear examples where he was just hoofing the ball to nowhere on a regular basis.

5 minutes ago, the_mighty_bosh said:

There's a lot of positives about Hobson, but I actually didn't have an issue with him being dropped behind Raglan and Hogan because his distribution was absolutely awful in this bad run we've had.  Dagenham and Aldershot being clear examples where he was just hoofing the ball to nowhere on a regular basis.

He can bring the ball out of defence well, more of being told the clear the ball I suspect.

39 minutes ago, LightDN123 said:

Can’t argue with the interview. Some of these players are robbing a living and he knows it. 

Sounded like a cry to the board to support him and get these players out, or he’s off. 

Think it's going to take a large chunk of the budget to clear the decks for next season-- but it has simply got to be done, whether or  not MM is here. Too many players have proved they can't hack it at this club. If they stay they will drag down this manager and the next, and the next.

• Like 3

People often talk about Managers' losing 'the dressing room'

This 'dressing room' has lost two managers and a sizeable crowd

You can't buy team spirit....

1 hour ago, BP1960 said:

Come off it. Reid wasn’t that good. If MM had let him off people would have said he was weak, too soft etc. Reid knew the rules and broke them anyway - he was either thick, or thoughtless, or both.

• Like 6

6 minutes ago, Worcester Owl said:

Come off it. Reid wasn’t that good. If MM had let him off people would have said he was weak, too soft etc. Reid knew the rules and broke them anyway - he was either thick, or thoughtless, or both.

And that ignores the ridiculous suggestion we'd be better off for having Willoughby and Tollitt around.

• Like 6