MATCH: Halifax Town (?) 18/04/24

4 minutes ago, AndyB2 said:

Worst season of my Oldham supporting life this one. And I have been doing it for 34 years

Fifty years plus and this season flattered to deceive for a good while, then it showed its true colours or rather the so-called team did. I have felt worse than this but we were higher and the fall was a disaster, this one feels like slap in the face for having the nerve to believe we could come good this season.

My version of Oldham Athletic has gone and will never return. At least I have seen the good times and experienced the elation of success. There have been times at BP when me and my daughters wouldn't have been anywhere else in the world, at that moment in time.

• Like 6

1 minute ago, Wardie said:

Fifty years plus and this season flattered to deceive for a good while, then it showed its true colours or rather the so-called team did. I have felt worse than this but we were higher and the fall was a disaster, this one feels like slap in the face for having the nerve to believe we could come good this season.

My version of Oldham Athletic has gone and will never return. At least I have seen the good times and experienced the elation of success. There have been times at BP when me and my daughters wouldn't have been anywhere else in the world, at that moment in time.

It does feel like the love affair is over doesn’t it. 

I had hope going into this season, but increasingly on my way driving to BP with my 10 and 5 year old daughters there’s been this horrible feeling that i need to let go and come to terms with the fact that it won’t ‘be our turn soon’ (as I had assumed)

i honestly think it’s our destiny to fade away and I don’t think frank can ultimately save us. We are too far gone and he doesn’t have the £ to do it. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Wardie said:

Yes,

It was going too well and we all bought into it, such has been the desperation to succeed. It isn't easy being used to decades of abject failure and we definitely had a tiny glimmer of hope to tease us.

Not to be yet again and sadly I'm feeling it might just be the exact same next season 

15 minutes ago, AndyB2 said:

Is there a single positive to take from this season? Anything at all? Any sign that things might be better next season.

Last season we finished 12th on 61 points, this season we'll finish 9th or 10th on 63 to 66 points!

Oh, and Frank has raised almost £377,000 for charity.

Erm, that's it.

1 minute ago, Littlemoor Lad said:

Yes,

It was going too well and we all bought into it, such has been the desperation to succeed. It isn't easy being used to decades of abject failure and we definitely had a tiny glimmer of hope to tease us.

Not to be yet again and sadly I'm feeling it might just be the exact same next season 

When you are so starved of success you will cling on to anything out of desperation. It makes our fan base naive, vulnerable and impressionable. We have so little experience of success we don’t see the signs (good and bad) that other fans see. We aren’t savvy and are very open to being hurt as a result.

Best defence mechanism - assume the very worst (as I have done all season). It’s usually right. 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, diggleblue said:

What worries me.

Booty, Berry, Colclough,Golden all players linked to us but we got none. Why?Will anybody want to come here?other than old timers wanting to draw a wage?We need youth,pace and desire.

I’d look at signing thier 22 in the summer a player who can run at defenders and is not afraid to have a shot at goal a player we are desperately missing 

8 minutes ago, AndyB2 said:

When you are so starved of success you will cling on to anything out of desperation. It makes our fan base naive, vulnerable and impressionable. We have so little experience of success we don’t see the signs (good and bad) that other fans see. We aren’t savvy and are very open to being hurt as a result.

Best defence mechanism - assume the very worst (as I have done all season). It’s usually right. 

I can't take that approach or I'd find myself calling the samaritans 

When Frank stepped in, It was like all my christmases had come at once, a biblical moment.

My own disappointment must be miniscule compared to his and I pray that he keeps the faith and gets to enjoy the success he so deserves.

13 minutes ago, AndyB2 said:

Christ you need a pulpit.

Give up with your preaching- you know no more than the rest of us-many have longer allegiances with the club than you.

Best defence mechanism - assume the very worst (as I have done all season).

We have noticed.

• Like 2

^ In the 1968-69 season the side went 11 games without a win in September-October-November, during a run which included just one win in the opening 16 fixtures. There were also 11 games without a win from 31 Jan 1976 to 3 April 1976, and coincidentally the final 16 matches of the 1975-76 season also produced just one win.

• Thanks 1

Just found an even worse run - 16 games without a single win from Aug 29 to Oct 31 in 1959, then another 11 match winless run in Jan-Feb-March.

Also 9 defeats in 10 games from Jan 24 to Mar 21 in the previous season (the other result was a 0-0 draw).

All these sequences came under the management of one Norman Dodgin, and not surprisingly the club had to apply for re-election to the Football League both in 1958-59 and 1959-60.

https://www.11v11.com/teams/oldham-athletic/tab/matches/season/1960/

https://www.11v11.com/teams/oldham-athletic/tab/matches/season/1959/

Edited by Summerdeep

8 hours ago, whittles left foot said:

Christ you need a pulpit.

Give up with your preaching- you know no more than the rest of us-many have longer allegiances with the club than you.

We have noticed.

Bitter. It’s not my fault old boy

Thought it was two poor teams. Other than the goals we scored we did not create or test the keeper. Golden the type of right back which we have been missing for two years. Number 22 for them was shite but had Suttons pants down time and time again. 

I was shocked in the last 5 minutes we did not throw the kitchen sink at it. Free kick last kick of the game we still had Mcgahey and Hudson back.

I’m not going to blame fans for the shit show and they have the right to do it but I don’t understand booing them on, booing Norwood on, booing at the end.

People saying why aren’t the players celebrating when Gardner scored it’s probably because they are booed every week 

• Like 1

I watched the Apprentice final last night saw the Latics result this morning and have skim read through this thread.

We can have the biggest pity party in the world if you want and say how the players have shit the bed this season and how we've had 3 decades of dissapointment it's not going to change anything. So I'm just going to look forward to next season from here because as a fan their is nothing else I can do.

Edited by GlossopLatic

1 hour ago, Lee Sinnott said:

I did, but that wasn't when I was stood in the away end and could see how many people were there...

I think that the last few days leading up to the game was such a disorganized mess, that most folk had just given up on it. 

There will also be plenty who have seen enough this season, and give tomorrow a miss too. 

Ill be there tomorrow and Ill be there next season .... not out of habbit but because Im a suporter of OAFC. Yes they piss me off ... yes they have been shit ... Ill save the emotion for whan were promoted. I just need to lie down for a bit 

7 minutes ago, andy_b_100 said:

Ill be there tomorrow and Ill be there next season .... not out of habbit but because Im a suporter of OAFC. Yes they piss me off ... yes they have been shit ... Ill save the emotion for whan were promoted. I just need to lie down for a bit 

Most of us will be there next season too.  But there are plenty of our fans that have just had enough this season..  I am just praying that I live long enough to get emotional about a promotion campaign. 

3 hours ago, BradKnowles1 said:

Thought it was two poor teams. Other than the goals we scored we did not create or test the keeper. Golden the type of right back which we have been missing for two years. Number 22 for them was shite but had Suttons pants down time and time again. 

I was shocked in the last 5 minutes we did not throw the kitchen sink at it. Free kick last kick of the game we still had Mcgahey and Hudson back.

I’m not going to blame fans for the shit show and they have the right to do it but I don’t understand booing them on, booing Norwood on, booing at the end.

People saying why aren’t the players celebrating when Gardner scored it’s probably because they are booed every week 

I agree with Golden, I also mentioned him during the match. I wonder if MM has checked his stats bombs.😆

4 minutes ago, BP1960 said:

I agree with Golden, I also mentioned him during the match. I wonder if MM has checked his stats bombs.😆

Right footed ✅

Defender ✅

Centrehalf ❌

Pub player ❌

Snails pace ❌

Sorry he fails the criteria, according to statbomb he needs three of the above.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, BradKnowles1 said:

Yes, you can’t continue to boo players for no reason and expect them to care. Fans need to look at themselves as much as the players and manager.