Changes to the FA cup

49 minutes ago, Littlemoor Lad said:

That yesterday was disgraceful 

Time some of the offside rules were updated

|Why?  It's exactly what VAR was for and it worked perfectly (albeit disappointingly)

36 minutes ago, Dave_Og said:

|Why?  It's exactly what VAR was for and it worked perfectly (albeit disappointingly)

You couldn’t even tell looking at the VAR, should have been given.

Edited by latics22

37 minutes ago, Dave_Og said:

Goalkeeper's have always been overly protected and now it's the turn of the defender's 

What there's such stupidly fine margins, the attacking player should get the benefit of the doubt or it's time to pack it all in.

Had it been the other way around, I'd put my house on it not even being checked

Big club rules!

Edited by Littlemoor Lad
Missed text
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Littlemoor Lad said:

Offside should be a yard not a nose hair

It's bollocks

But if you say it's a yard then there would be an argument about it being 37 inches.  Let's face it - if the handball rule hadn't descended into complete farce there wouldn't have been extra time at all

It was the correct decision even though I loath VAR. Wish we could go back to on field officials making such decisions, and accept they are human and can make mistakes.

And not even VAR could ruin what was an outstanding match. Coventry’s comeback has to be the greatest ever seen at Wembley, and will always be talked about.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Dave_Og said:

But if you say it's a yard then there would be an argument about it being 37 inches.  Let's face it - if the handball rule hadn't descended into complete farce there wouldn't have been extra time at all

2 minutes ago, Worcester Owl said:

It was the correct decision even though I loath VAR. Wish we could go back to on field officials making such decisions, and accept they are human and can make mistakes.

And not even VAR could ruin what was an outstanding match. Coventry’s comeback has to be the greatest ever seen at Wembley, and will always be talked about.

VAR is only used in the Premier league and shouldn't apply to anything outside of it, that's unless they want to roll it out universally to every game being played and I'm sorry that I'd never accept that yesterday as being offside because it's just wrong.

VAR did ruin the game and all Coventry will be left feeling is cheated for the rest of their day's 

I just hope City absolutely smash that bunch of cowardly united misfits to pieces in the final

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, whittles left foot said:

Bit off topic (it is the FA Cup) but watching Coventry get shafted in the last minute yesterday by the filth brought back some unpleasant memories.

If that was offside, Bryan Robson was a country mile offside against us with the old rules.

When the frame rate can’t keep up with the speed of the game you shouldn’t be making absolute decisions on whether it was millimetres off or on. If you’re going to have it, it needs a tolerance that allows for frame rates etc. 

2 hours ago, Littlemoor Lad said:

Goalkeeper's have always been overly protected and now it's the turn of the defender's 

What there's such stupidly fine margins, the attacking player should get the benefit of the doubt or it's time to pack it all in.

Big club rules!

If that was the case Coventry wouldn't have been given the equalising penalty

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Dave_Og said:

And now the EFL wants to allow lower ranked clubs freedom to seek a switch of venue when drawn at home to a big club. Yet another nail in the cup's coffin

That reminded me of when my Dad took me to Maine Road in 1977 to watch us play Northwich Victoria in the 4th Round of the FA Cup. The Vics switched it to Maine Road as we were a big Division 2* club then! (We won 3 - 1).

* which is equivalent to the Championship for our younger readers!

14 minutes ago, LaticMark said:

That reminded me of when my Dad took me to Maine Road in 1977 to watch us play Northwich Victoria in the 4th Round of the FA Cup. The Vics switched it to Maine Road as we were a big Division 2* club then! (We won 3 - 1).

* which is equivalent to the Championship for our younger readers!

I think 2003 (Farnborough v Arsenal) was the last time it was allowed

21 minutes ago, Dave_Og said:

I think 2003 (Farnborough v Arsenal) was the last time it was allowed

The FA needs to pull its finger out here (fat chance perhaps). Having rightly cracked down in general on venue switches some years ago, it should be telling the EFL (and PL I suspect also) where to go. I won’t hold my breath.

3 hours ago, Littlemoor Lad said:

VAR is only used in the Premier league and shouldn't apply to anything outside of it, that's unless they want to roll it out universally to every game being played and I'm sorry that I'd never accept that yesterday as being offside because it's just wrong.

VAR did ruin the game and all Coventry will be left feeling is cheated for the rest of their day's 

I just hope City absolutely smash that bunch of cowardly united misfits to pieces in the final

Yep, let’s support one foreign-owned, ridiculously wealthy, overpaid bunch of players over another. 
In reality, who gives a toss?

3 hours ago, Littlemoor Lad said:

Big club rules!

Utter nonsense.

12 minutes ago, Worcester Owl said:

Yep, let’s support one foreign-owned, ridiculously wealthy, overpaid bunch of players over another. 
In reality, who gives a toss?

It might sit better with Coventry if that happens but like you say, all over paid but aren't they all?

14 minutes ago, Worcester Owl said:

Utter nonsense.

But is it?

They seem to be making it harder and harder for the smaller sides to progress/survive in any way, shape or form

They won't be satisfied until there's only elite football and every single penny stays within it.

12 minutes ago, Littlemoor Lad said:

But is it?

They seem to be making it harder and harder for the smaller sides to progress/survive in any way, shape or form

They won't be satisfied until there's only elite football and every single penny stays within it.

It looks like that from our perspective but in the 30 years we've been sliding down the leagues there have been plenty heading in the opposite direction

3 minutes ago, Dave_Og said:

It looks like that from our perspective but in the 30 years we've been sliding down the leagues there have been plenty heading in the opposite direction

Just how many club's below the premier league are living beyond their means?

Most would be my guess.

5 hours ago, AndyGortonsMatches said:

If that was offside, Bryan Robson was a country mile offside against us with the old rules.

To be fair, Earl Barrett was off-side in both new AND old rules!

The first thing wrong with this is that the EPL have connived with the FA to present what they hoped would be a fait accompli. The FA then made it worse by claiming that, because the issue of the football calendar was discussed at a meeting the EFL were represented at last September, they could claim that this constituted "consultation". This was despite the fact that the meeting in question had no mandate whatever to commit anyone to anything.

You then have to ask yourself, who does this move primarily benefit? And the answer to that is the EPL clubs, and especially the seven or so that play in European competition (which is expanding, rather than contracting - a bit of a coincidence, is that).  Just over 800 clubs entered the competition last season, but apparently less than 3% of them can have closed discussions with the FA and make rule changes that affect everyone.

I can't help but think that someone at the EPL has had a close look at the Football Governance Bill, and noticed that once the Bill has become law, the competition organisers (in this case the FA) will not in future  be able to add, remove or vary any competition rule without first consulting the Regulator. So this is the last chance they have to make a change of this kind unilaterally. It also means that at Second Reading for the Bill tomorrow you will be able to spot those MPs who haven't actually read the Bill, because they will be the ones calling for an amendment to it that won't come into force until after this issue has been resolved - in order to introduce something that is already in it.

As Maguire pointed out this morning on the Price of Football Podcast, it is a bit rich for the FA to claim that player welfare is a factor here. They weren't interested in sticking up for that when the European competitions were being expanded, or the World Club Championship. It's all about giving the EPL what it wants, and thinking that a thirty million quid bribe is in some way adequate recompense for bringing to an end around 150 years of tradition.

Edited by basilrobbie
  • Like 3