Changes to the FA cup

Club statement

Trying to change the subject abit from the pity party that is the last quarter of this season.

Quite a big change to the FA cup seems to be taking place without consultation of many of the clubs. I do approve of the keeping the competition on Saturdays but what I don't like is the complete disregard of replays and how important they are not just from a financial point of view but from a footballing point of view too. Their is something magical about an FA cup tie in deep winter under the lights at Boundary Park. I'm glad the club have come out and said this and I'm glad other club's are pushing back too.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, GlossopLatic said:

Club statement

Trying to change the subject abit from the pity party that is the last quarter of this season.

Quite a big change to the FA cup seems to be taking place without consultation of many of the clubs. I do approve of the keeping the competition on Saturdays but what I don't like is the complete disregard of replays and how important they are not just from a financial point of view but from a footballing point of view too. Their is something magical about an FA cup tie in deep winter under the lights at Boundary Park. I'm glad the club have come out and said this and I'm glad other club's are pushing back too.

I hope they do a quick backtrack, or all clubs below the prem boycott

I'll be in the minority here and the sidelining is out of order but I don't think the arguments for keeping them are all that strong, you enter a competition to compete in it, not to be financially rewarded by virtue of the luck of the draw.

Be interesting to see what the reaction would be if they said you can have them back for Round 1 & 2...

11 minutes ago, deyres42 said:

I'll be in the minority here and the sidelining is out of order but I don't think the arguments for keeping them are all that strong, you enter a competition to compete in it, not to be financially rewarded by virtue of the luck of the draw.

Be interesting to see what the reaction would be if they said you can have them back for Round 1 & 2...

I'm also in the minority here tbh, i'm not sure replays are necessary. The FA Cup has lost a lot of it's magic with so many sides including Championship sides fielding weakened sides. I don't think replays are the money spinner they once were, with the exception of drawing a Man United, Arsenal or Liverpool. Underdogs have a much better chance of winning in one off game. Just think when Matt Smith scored v Everton, would we have had a better chance with an extra 30 mins at home and potential penalties than a replay at Goodison? Even when we played Fulham it was reduced admission and despite us taking over 4000 fans I think the gate was in the region of 12000 or so. (someone will correct me) I doubt we made a great deal from the gate receipts but made more from TV even though it wasn't live. It's sad but it is what it is. I would also like to see Semi Finals moved away from Wembley, it takes something away from reaching the final and the Semis were magical at Villa Park, Maine Road, Highbury etc. Not going to happen, we are governed by the big 6 or 7 and the game is now a business all about money.

Edited by PeteG

1 hour ago, GlossopLatic said:

Nah, far more concerned with the fact we can’t get our act together than I am changing to a subject that has affected us once or twice in 30 years. 

We couldn't even be arsed with having a go in the FA Trophy so it's a bit rich the club moaning about a competition we'll do well to get to the third round in for some time.

I'd have been happier with a statement in regards to the car crash shit show we've witnessed the last couple of months but each to their own.

Edited by yarddog73

39 minutes ago, AndyGortonsMatches said:

So to reduce fixture 'congestion' for the privileged few in Europe (who normally play their stiffs in rounds 3-5 any way) everyone else has to suffer.

Keep things as they are, they have 30 overpaid squads and 30-50 out on loan - they can easily suck up a replay or two.

Yes Tottenham and Newcastle have a friendly arranged on the 22nd of May out in Australia but they can't play FA Cup replays because of fixture congestion. 

For the record I'd be happy if at round 5 they scrapped replays but rounds 1 to 4 is hugely important for teams lower than the championship.

Premier league teams want to reduce the number of fixtures that don’t make them money so they can increase the number that do. It’s not about anything other than that. 

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, nzlatic said:

Premier league teams want to reduce the number of fixtures that don’t make them money so they can increase the number that do. It’s not about anything other than that. 

I realise that but it doesn't mean it's beneficial for the game as a whole and it's certainly no benefit to us.

1 hour ago, GlossopLatic said:

I realise that but it doesn't mean it's beneficial for the game as a whole and it's certainly no benefit to us.

Oh of course. Totally agree. They’re doing what they always do - looking after themselves and promising some trickle down for everyone else which either won’t come or won’t touch the sides. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, nzlatic said:

Let them clear off to to the European League they will eventually be in.

• Like 3

26 minutes ago, BP1960 said:

Let them clear off to to the European League they will eventually be in.

The European super league was one big power play by the big clubs to get more from UEFA they've got an expanded champions league. The cost of which appears to be degrade further the FA Cup

The FA/PL know they can get away with this. Most football fans don‘t care.

Decisions like this should surely be made in consultation with the clubs it affects.

They keep chipping away at things. How long will it be until we get the suggestion of B teams in the league again?

Surely a solution to this could be like the FA Trophy, where teams can agree before the game to either extra time/pens or a replay after 90? 

Huge blow to tradition but I can't help feeling the moneyspinningness is overstated.  Probably one or two clubs each season get a really lucrative replay.  Half the time now the crowds for cup games are poor and at reduced prices

1 hour ago, BerlinBlue said:

The FA/PL know they can get away with this. Most football fans don‘t care.

Decisions like this should surely be made in consultation with the clubs it affects.

They keep chipping away at things. How long will it be until we get the suggestion of B teams in the league again?

Surely a solution to this could be like the FA Trophy, where teams can agree before the game to either extra time/pens or a replay after 90? 

No PL team will agree to a replay so that puts the lucrative replay theory to bed anyway

On 4/19/2024 at 6:47 PM, deyres42 said:

Agree. 

Also, I think the stat is that this has only happened on 7 occasions in 5 years (shearer said this so perhaps it’s BS). 

The replay, whilst financially rewarding, massively reduces the chance of the lower league team progressing. A penalty shoot out is much more a level playing field. 

On 4/20/2024 at 12:28 PM, Dave_Og said:

Huge blow to tradition but I can't help feeling the moneyspinningness is overstated.  Probably one or two clubs each season get a really lucrative replay.  Half the time now the crowds for cup games are poor and at reduced prices

7 in 5 years. It’s a storm in a tea up. 

1 hour ago, Dave_Og said:

And now the EFL wants to allow lower ranked clubs freedom to seek a switch of venue when drawn at home to a big club. Yet another nail in the cup's coffin

Now that really does kill the ‘magic’ of the cup. 

6 minutes ago, kowenicki said:

Now that really does kill the ‘magic’ of the cup. 

Quite.  Then EFL can't complain that the PL is just engendering change for its own financial interests, and then put forward a proposal to do exactly the same.

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, whittles left foot said:

Bit off topic (it is the FA Cup) but watching Coventry get shafted in the last minute yesterday by the filth brought back some unpleasant memories.

Yeah,  yeah it did yeah that was cruel. But I took consolation in the fact that Mark Robbins was on the end of it.

Edited by GlossopLatic
  • Like 2