Changes to the FA cup

On 4/20/2024 at 12:28 PM, Dave_Og said:

Probably one or two clubs each season get a really lucrative replay

I don't think it is just about the really big payouts for a replay against an EPL side- though they are so big they distort the picture with clubs whose ambition is to get to round 3 for a payday.

There is a trickle down going on further down the pyramid too. That eighth tier side getting a share of a 5000 gate and some TV money for a first round replay could transform their prospects.

Add to the above some of my best memories are from replays. I'm against scrapping them.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, LaticMark said:

That reminded me of when my Dad took me to Maine Road in 1977 to watch us play Northwich Victoria in the 4th Round of the FA Cup. The Vics switched it to Maine Road as we were a big Division 2* club then! (We won 3 - 1).

* which is equivalent to the Championship for our younger readers!

28,635! Impressive.

10 minutes ago, Longlostfan said:

Think there were quite a few neutrals there.

How many on here were there? - I was for one.

Me too. Think you're right about neutrals. IIRC quite  a few City fans there.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, kowenicki said:

Agree. 

Also, I think the stat is that this has only happened on 7 occasions in 5 years (shearer said this so perhaps it’s BS). 

The replay, whilst financially rewarding, massively reduces the chance of the lower league team progressing. A penalty shoot out is much more a level playing field. 

Maybe so, but the lower league clubs that have absolutely no chance of winning the cup are not really interested in a level playing field. The dangled carrot and the ‘Magic’ of the F A Cup is getting to the third round when the big teams join in and where small clubs and their players get a chance to play at Old Trafford, The Etihad, and The Emirates etc.etc. whilst making a shed load of money in the process!

15 hours ago, kowenicki said:

Agree. 

Also, I think the stat is that this has only happened on 7 occasions in 5 years (shearer said this so perhaps it’s BS). 

The replay, whilst financially rewarding, massively reduces the chance of the lower league team progressing. A penalty shoot out is much more a level playing field. 

Edited by oafc1955

3 hours ago, disjointed said:

I think most of us over mid 50 year old would have been there. 

I remember the clang of John Platt's head on the goalpost when John King barged him into it. Awful foul.

Edited by Dickie Down
Syntax

7 hours ago, disjointed said:

I think most of us over mid 50 year old would have been there. 

Yup i was there in the kippax lots of citeah  there iirc they were losing at newcastle 

4 hours ago, LaticMark said:

According to the Daily :sick01: ⬇️

It’s no wonder because The National League even struggle to get their league fixtures played because for some strange reason the bloody FA Trophy fixtures take precedence.

23 hours ago, oafc1955 said:

Maybe so, but the lower league clubs that have absolutely no chance of winning the cup are not really interested in a level playing field. The dangled carrot and the ‘Magic’ of the F A Cup is getting to the third round when the big teams join in and where small clubs and their players get a chance to play at Old Trafford, The Etihad, and The Emirates etc.etc. whilst making a shed load of money in the process!

That can still happen.

Edited by kowenicki

8 minutes ago, kowenicki said:

That can still happen.

I was just about to respond to your original post then…

Whether people agree with me or not, if it’s the FA Cup 3rd round and we drew someone like Arsenal, Spurs, United, Liverpool at home, I honestly think I’d prefer to draw and get a replay than win. We’re obviously not gonna win the thing so I’m clearly thinking of other factors beyond the result, but you just can’t beat getting rocking up at the bigger teams away from home with a load of blind optimism.

And yes of course, you could win and draw another big time, but it’s not very likely.

Forest, Everton and Fulham are easily top 5 away days for me.

Edited by sjk2008

7 hours ago, sjk2008 said:

Whether people agree with me or not, if it’s the FA Cup 3rd round and we drew someone like Arsenal, Spurs, United, Liverpool at home, I honestly think I’d prefer to draw and get a replay than win. We’re obviously not gonna win the thing so I’m clearly thinking of other factors beyond the result, but you just can’t beat getting rocking up at the bigger teams away from home with a load of blind optimism.

And yes of course, you could win and draw another big time, but it’s not very likely.

I was going to say exactly the same. When we equalised against Everton at home if you’d have offered me a choice of a replay or extra time and penalties then I’d have taken the replay. It isn’t just about the best chance of progressing it’s watching our club play at a ground like that. The “magic” of the cup and all that. 

7 hours ago, sjk2008 said:

Apparently, that’s happened 7 times in 5 years across the whole FA Cup, it’s a rare event. That includes all prem teams by the way and I don’t class getting a draw plus a replay at Luton as a great day out is it. 

9 minutes ago, kowenicki said:

Apparently, that’s happened 7 times in 5 years across the whole FA Cup, it’s a rare event. That includes all prem teams by the way and I don’t class getting a draw plus a replay at Luton as a great day out is it. 

Is that stat referring to Premier league teams or any team where someone from a league or 2 below plays a higher club? A non league team playing Portsmouth in the first round for example would be pretty exciting for them. 

3 minutes ago, nzlatic said:

Is that stat referring to Premier league teams or any team where someone from a league or 2 below plays a higher club? A non league team playing Portsmouth in the first round for example would be pretty exciting for them. 

Just prem. It was a stat given out by Lineker and Shearer before one of the recent semi finals. 

I don’t disagree with your point really, but it hardly ever happens. Storm in a tea cup. 

35 minutes ago, nzlatic said:

I was going to say exactly the same. When we equalised against Everton at home if you’d have offered me a choice of a replay or extra time and penalties then I’d have taken the replay. It isn’t just about the best chance of progressing it’s watching our club play at a ground like that. The “magic” of the cup and all that. 

I made my one and only trip to Goodison Park for that replay, so I completely agree. Glad I saw the old ground before it disappears.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Lee Sinnott said:

I'm glad the NL haven't jumped on the bandwagon. No replays make for a much better competition and there's more chance of giantkillings in a one off game...

Irrespective of my opinion on the subject, I’d rather the NL represent the views of their member clubs than make unilateral decisions on stuff like this. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, nzlatic said:

I'd rather have took our chance in extra time and penalties. We had a potential home tie v Wigan in the next round for a place at Wembley, plus i've seen us play at Goodison numerous times.

20 minutes ago, nzlatic said:

Irrespective of my opinion on the subject, I’d rather the NL represent the views of their member clubs than make unilateral decisions on stuff like this. 

That is probably fair enough. My point is I'd rather lose at home to Eastleigh than have to travel there in a replay on a Tuesday in November to lose anyway...