"We are staying up"

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I wouldn't sing "we are staying up" - but I love chants with a streak of genuine humour...

My favourite chant story is one about a relegation zone Galway United playing a mid-table Cork in the top flight here in Ireland... The Cork fans started chanting: "Going down! Going down! Going down!" - to which the Galway fans responded: "So are we! So are we! So are we!".

Then there was another Galway United classic at a game against Athlone... "You'll never walk in Athlone, after dark... You'll never walk in Athlone".

The official OAFC site will never run a proper chant/song competition because they will be too fearful of officially offending any other club.

But would it be possible to have a chant/song competition on this site?

A lot of money has been raised from the great pledge system on this site.

So would it be possible to - for example - have an open competition on a thread here for a song. Each entry could be £2. A poll decides the best - playershare takes 50 per cent of the pot, the winner takes the other half, and the club gets a new song.

Just putting it out there...

I wouldn't sing "we are staying up" - but I love chants with a streak of genuine humour...

My favourite chant story is one about a relegation zone Galway United playing a mid-table Cork in the top flight here in Ireland... The Cork fans started chanting: "Going down! Going down! Going down!" - to which the Galway fans responded: "So are we! So are we! So are we!".

Then there was another Galway United classic at a game against Athlone... "You'll never walk in Athlone, after dark... You'll never walk in Athlone".

The official OAFC site will never run a proper chant/song competition because they will be too fearful of officially offending any other club.

So would it be possible to - for example - have an open competition on a thread here for a song. Each entry could be £2. A poll decides the best - playershare takes 50 per cent of the pot, the winner takes the other half, and the club gets a new song.

Sure the club ran one in the early 2000 and the winner got to sing it on the pitch

Sure the club ran one in the early 2000 and the winner got to sing it on the pitch

Okay so, they did it a decade and a half ago, point taken (anyone remember what the winning entry was by any chance?) - why not do it again then, separate and unofficial and non-club-endorsed, and as independent supporters?

Or see if the club want to try it again - though I would wager that would mean all best efforts are censored.

And apologies for not recalling the "early 2000" version of the suggestion - I only get over to maybe one match a season, and that must have been a year the Latics supporters paper I had posted to me went bust, and well before I had decent internet!

Edited by Nohairdontcare

As much as I can agree that it's not the greatest song to sing, perhaps it should be taken with a pinch of salt. What next, we don't celebrate a goal as we don't score many of them. I think it's a lot less to do with accepting mediocrity and more to do with being genuinly happy that we are looking like we might be staying up. The greatest way an Oldham fan can accept mediocrity in present times is to continue to watch them.

As much as I can agree that it's not the greatest song to sing, perhaps it should be taken with a pinch of salt. What next, we don't celebrate a goal as we don't score many of them. I think it's a lot less to do with accepting mediocrity and more to do with being genuinly happy that we are looking like we might be staying up. The greatest way an Oldham fan can accept mediocrity in present times is to continue to watch them.

Totally agree with this.

I'm so glad I can just get behind my team by making a racket, and wear my colours with pride without worrying about what is 'cool' or cringeworthy.

It is what it is and we are where we are. They're your team. Get behind them vocally.

I have a very similar idea for playershare that i am mulling over in my head. It will probably be early in the new season when it comes to fruition as there is alot to be organised and i want it on a large scale. It is actually LJ's idea so will be giving it a go. Also got a couple of loose ends to tie up with the national sweep as hoping LJ will present the winners with their prize at a home game and going to organise a world cup sweep and hoping a small sided football tournament. As soon as these are out of the way then can get cracking.

I have a very similar idea for playershare that i am mulling over in my head. It will probably be early in the new season when it comes to fruition as there is alot to be organised and i want it on a large scale. It is actually LJ's idea so will be giving it a go. Also got a couple of loose ends to tie up with the national sweep as hoping LJ will present the winners with their prize at a home game and going to organise a world cup sweep and hoping a small sided football tournament. As soon as these are out of the way then can get cracking.

Great, I look forward to taking part!

The voice of wisdom.

Well done on the presentation of prizes idea. I am sure it will bring OWTB to more peoples attention, Barry wont know what's hit him.