Betting against your own team - acceptable or not?

Are you a traitor?  

119 members have voted

1. 1. Do you / would you bet against your own team?

• Yes
    • No

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I voted NO because I don't and wouldn't.....But I have nothing against fans who do and don't believe them to be traitors

Whoever I bet on never wins - starting tomorrow I am lumping a fiver on whoever we play next (plus a cheeky bet on Manure every week)...

Absolutely nothing wrong with it, earlier in the season i was backing us all the way.

Only a complete fool would regularly bet on us winning at the moment, i backed barnsley on saturday, hoped we would win but had the consolation that my winnings covered the cost of my Son and i attending the match.

Sad to say it but i do it quite often, most times get it right to. Example, at weekend, yeovil both times. I see it as win, win. Bet doesnt come up as in we win when ive done it for us to lose, happy days we won.

Have been done a few times for a few hundred by backing against us, most recently port vale, oldham only team to let me down, thought it was a nailed on loss.

I've done it. Happy to lose my stake but makes for a nice consolation if Latics lose.

Exactly my reasoning on the subject. My pension pot got a significant boost from Barnsley winning on Saturday and what a silver lining it was!!!! If I had lost the bet I would have been happy anyway.........

When you bet, you want to win. Name any other team whose current form, misfortunes, injuries, attitude, and general state you know more about than Latics. There have been 3 or maybe 4 games this year where I knew Latics would either win or lose before the game just from being a Latics fan. Cash in while you can!

If you feel bad about profiting from such a bet, donate the winnings to Playershare :OASISscarf:

Edited by Laticsbiffo

no issues with this at all, do it nearly every week but doesnt stop me supporting/wanting them to win. in fact you've got a better chance of winning if you do as you know the ins and outs of the team so can better identify when they likely to loose/not score. i even bet in play on next goal against us and result whist im sat in the stand cheering us on. saturday gone was easy, players missing and barnsley in good form were way overpriced to win. covers the costs of the overpriced tickets

I'm glad I am not alone.

I only ever back the result though, never a specific result.

Worse case scenario being you back a 3-0 defeat, and Latics grab a last minute consolation goal which doesn't change the result but loses you £30.

Ive only ever had heartbreak backing Oldham. The year we beat Preston at home 3-1, I had a fiver on Baxter first goal and Oldham 3-0 at 120/1, we were 3-0 up until the 94th minute. Last season I was let down for just shy of a grand when we drew at home to Mansfield in the fa cup. Then a few weeks ago I had £20 on Henri Lansbury anytime goal (13/2 v blackpool), Darren bent anytime goal (6/4 against whoever it was and Mike Jones anytime 11/2, think it was Colchester at home), needless to say Lansbury and bent scored and mike jones dragged a shot from 12 yards wide, the kind he usually finishes with ease. Just short of 2 grand that would have been. Scouse bastard.

Not acceptable? :censored:ing lump on MK Dons you massive tarts.

This a thousand times.

Get a grip, people.

It doesn't mean you want your team to lose. It's not like it's going to have an influence on the outcome of the game.

It's probably the most sensible thing you can do being a Latics fan! I'll have some money on tonight...

£10 single on MK Dons -1 and MK Dons -2

Sad how easy it is making money off your club these days...possibly £200 up in 4 days

I guess it's one way I'm supporting the team as it's nearly a season ticket paid for...

Edited by Blue_Guru