Our worst ever player

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

11 minutes ago, UsedtobeWozzer said:

How the thread has got this far without mention of Phil Starbuck is beyond me.

This thread's version of Mornington Crescent.

Awful, awful player. Truly awful.  Wigan away was the lowest, of lows.

For me, there's been some corkers like The Lord Kangana, Starbuck, O'Donnell, David Lee, Crowe, Plummer, Reckord etc.

But I honestly have to say Cornell from last season trumps the lot. Consistently terrible. Can't remember a single game where I thought he did well. Inexplicably got played longer than most of the other awful players we can name. And at Donny away he literally stopped playing to moan at the ref while the ball was still in play, pinging around the box...Donny hit the woodwork twice in space of 5 seconds as he did this. It will take something special to top that ineptitude again IMO.

Edited by boundaryblue80

3 minutes ago, Forte_Baby said:

Calvin Zola has to be up there. Jan Budtz takes it as a keeper.  

Fair or few who where dogs bollocks for us but went on and did awesome elsewhere.

dogs bollocks is good, no?

But agree, we've had a lot dog shit for us, but brilliant elsewhere.

28 minutes ago, boundaryblue80 said:

For me, there's been some corkers like The Lord Kangana, Starbuck, O'Donnell, David Lee, Crowe, Plummer, Reckord etc.

But I honestly have to say Cornell from last season trumps the lot. Consistently terrible. Can't remember a single game where I thought he did well. Inexplicably got played longer than most of the other awful players we can name. And at Donny away he literally stopped playing to moan at the ref while the ball was still in play, pinging around the box...Donny hit the woodwork twice in space of 5 seconds as he did this. It will take something special to top that ineptitude again IMO.

I agree about Cornell (shocking), also thought Dean Brill was a diabolical goalkeeper as well.

53 minutes ago, Forte_Baby said:

Calvin Zola has to be up there. Jan Budtz takes it as a keeper.  

Fair or few who where dogs bollocks for us but went on and did awesome elsewhere.

7 goals in 28 from someone who joined us aged 18 on loan really isn't bad at all. Has any youngster done any better since? Appreciate he missed plenty but he was 18 in a poor side.

Worst, Starbuck and his "I'm doing my best" shout to the fans at Wigan.

Edited by ChrisA

16 minutes ago, OldHallam said:

100000% agree dire afraid of a football .....later captain at Burnley says it all. http://www.soccerbase.com/players/player.sd?player_id=5559 the fact we remember his 5 appearances says a lot. 

Firm was like a slow boozed up pensioner. Ok if it hit him wouldnt catch a cold. 

Scary thing was he was 22, not a kid by any means. The fact he only played 5 games for us 22 years ago and he immediately pops into my head shows how truly utter shite he was!

For expectations the worst was Rooney for me. I know the argument of out of position, not playing to strengths etc, but he didn't look like he could play to me. Another that pops into my head is Ronnie Jepson. Although I was a proper nipper when I saw him. Maybe some of the older heads could enlighten me ? Was he really that shit ? And was he as tubby as I picture him ?

1 hour ago, simplythemostimportantkick said:

Another that pops into my head is Ronnie Jepson. Although I was a proper nipper when I saw him. Maybe some of the older heads could enlighten me ? Was he really that shit ? And was he as tubby as I picture him ?

Not got a bad word to say against Rocket Ronnie. Not after his brace in the 2 nil win at Grimsby in the last game of the season back in '98.

We played away somewhere a few years after where Ronnie was on the coaching staff. We were singing 'where's yer rocket gone? Where's yer rocket gone? And he enjoyed the banter.

Edited by johnafoafc

3 hours ago, Latics and England said:

Plenty of shit being mentioned on here but Starbuck is a class apart. Dreadful every time I saw him and it is stunning that someone that bad was able to cap it with a performance that people still remember as taking it to a whole new level at Springfield Park.

Was that the game where he got dogs abuse, scored a goal, gave our fans the finger, only for the goal to be disallowed? Or did I just dream that? 

He really was thunder bobbins was ol' Phil. Remember him being swiftly jettisoned, and coming back about a month later with Plymouth, where he showed us what we were missing by still being completely shit.

1 hour ago, Chorlton_Latic said:

Was that the game where he got dogs abuse, scored a goal, gave our fans the finger, only for the goal to be disallowed? Or did I just dream that? 

He really was thunder bobbins was ol' Phil. Remember him being swiftly jettisoned, and coming back about a month later with Plymouth, where he showed us what we were missing by still being completely shit.

We did have a goal chalked off during that game. Can't remember if it was Jepson or Starbucks. Whoever it was nearly broke Pat McGibbon's leg (Wigan centre half) in the process. 

We swapped Starbuck for Adie Littlejohn IIRC. Think we got the best part of the bargain. Remember one game, it was against Plymouth actually, where there was a sarcastic chant of 'Starbuck for England' and he came over clapping. I'm convinced he thought it a genuine chant.

Edited by johnafoafc

1 hour ago, johnafoafc said:

Not got a bad word to say against Rocket Ronnie. Not after his brace in the 2 nil win at Grimsby in the last game of the season back in '98.

We played away somewhere a few years after where Ronnie was on the coaching staff. We were singing 'where's yer rocket gone? Where's yer rocket gone? And he enjoyed the banter.

Like I say I was very young and it's a vague memory. He must have had a bad game that day

1 hour ago, deyres42 said:

This is a pre season thread but pound for pound Colbeck is the worst.

To think we paid £65k?of the money we received from Eardley's sale for somebody who couldn't trap a bag of cement, couldn't pass water, couldn't catch a cold and ran like he had lead boots on. Makes me shudder thinking about it.