Lee Johnson...

I don't hate him, but he should have afforded a little bit of loyalty to Barnsley after they stuck with him when they lost half a seasons worth of games and were rock bottom. They could have pulled the plug on his career. I guess he left and they got promoted anyway, so he thanked them by guiding them to the position to challenge for promotion, just a few months after being rock bottom.

He's a bit a weaselly cunt. But he's a good manager and he's far from the most deplorable character we've had at the club.

6 hours ago, Kusunga_Is_God said:

Future England manager.

Best manager this club has had since Royle no doubt.

Nothing personal mate but that’s bollocks! If we’re talking about best manager since Royle it wouldn’t be LJ he had the potential to take the club forward his final few months were tainted with throwing the game at home to Yeovil, getting twatted at MK, Paddy Kenny giving him a slap and Chedgate.

His first few months he was like a breath of fresh air - then he reverted to self preservation mode. Sterile football backward passing. If you’re looking for a comparison to Royle well we played our best football during Shez’s first spell, the sane guy who masterminded two escapes when all looked lost. It ended on a sour note on three occasions but Shez has had the greatest impact on Oldham Athletic since Joe.

However, it wasn’t only great football in those halcyon days under Joe - there was also a blood and thunder never say die spirit and the manager who replicated that was Dowie but he’s still not fit to be mentioned in the same breath as JR.

back to Johnson he could have built something here if Corney had allowed but I don’t think he trusted himself he couldn’t resist tinkering with loanees - bringing Daniel Johnson in when we had a settled team doing well. Good player but not right for us left us too open. 

He oversaw a horrendous run at Barnsley which he’d started to turn round then jumped ship. Heckingbottom and Weasel Wright won the JPT final and the play off finals despite him trying to hijack the credit. Bristol City he only kept his job after getting slapped down by the board during another unbelievably bad run. He had to agree to give their kids a chance instead of loaner after loanee. And tbf having seen BC at Fulham this year they are a very good side.

but comparing LJ to Joe? Not a chance... 

31 minutes ago, oafcprozac said:

Nothing personal mate but that’s bollocks! If we’re talking about best manager since Royle it wouldn’t be LJ he had the potential to take the club forward his final few months were tainted with throwing the game at home to Yeovil, getting twatted at MK, Paddy Kenny giving him a slap and Chedgate.

His first few months he was like a breath of fresh air - then he reverted to self preservation mode. Sterile football backward passing. If you’re looking for a comparison to Royle well we played our best football during Shez’s first spell, the sane guy who masterminded two escapes when all looked lost. It ended on a sour note on three occasions but Shez has had the greatest impact on Oldham Athletic since Joe.

However, it wasn’t only great football in those halcyon days under Joe - there was also a blood and thunder never say die spirit and the manager who replicated that was Dowie but he’s still not fit to be mentioned in the same breath as JR.

back to Johnson he could have built something here if Corney had allowed but I don’t think he trusted himself he couldn’t resist tinkering with loanees - bringing Daniel Johnson in when we had a settled team doing well. Good player but not right for us left us too open. 

He oversaw a horrendous run at Barnsley which he’d started to turn round then jumped ship. Heckingbottom and Weasel Wright won the JPT final and the play off finals despite him trying to hijack the credit. Bristol City he only kept his job after getting slapped down by the board during another unbelievably bad run. He had to agree to give their kids a chance instead of loaner after loanee. And tbf having seen BC at Fulham this year they are a very good side.

but comparing LJ to Joe? Not a chance... 

I agree Shez has been our best manager since Royle, followed by Dowie but....as you allude to yourself Johnson did a hell of a job when you consider he was operating under Peak Corney (as the youngsters would say) circumstances. 

With regards to the run at Barnsley he'd done a bit more than started to turn it round - they'd won 6 or 7 on the bounce hadn't they? 

He'll never go down as an Oldham great as he wasn't here long enough and didn't achieve anything but (whether this is what the original poster meant or not) he's certainly the most capable manager we've had through our doors since Royle.

Edited by HarryBosch

28 minutes ago, HarryBosch said:

I agree Shez has been our best manager since Royle, followed by Dowie but....as you allude to yourself Johnson did a hell of a job when you consider he was operating under Peak Corney (as the youngsters would say) circumstances. 

With regards to the run at Barnsley he'd done a bit more than started to turn it round - they'd won 6 or 7 on the bounce hadn't they? 

He'll never go down as an Oldham great as he wasn't here long enough and didn't achieve anything but (whether this is what the original poster meant or not) he's certainly the most capable manager we've had through our doors since Royle.

This has moved somewhat from Lags' original point, that he is a "pretentious prick". 

I hope to hear about the Clough / Revie scenario from the Damned United happening here.

Edit: the bit about their first meeting, not future managerial success for the Poison Dwarf.

Edited by Magic Mikey

7 minutes ago, Magic Mikey said:

This has moved somewhat from Lags' original point, that he is a "pretentious prick". 

I hope to hear about the Clough / Revie scenario from the Damned United happening here.

Edit: the bit about their first meeting, not future managerial success for the Poison Dwarf.

Regarding Lags original point, I'm sure the £450 bottle of wine will be used towards gleaning every little nugget of wisdom he possibly can from somebody who was once one of footballs greatest managers and might be again once he returns from the dark side.... 

I'd want him to do exactly the same if he was still here.

Mourinho has often been praised by lower league managers he's faced in the cup for giving them plenty of his time and handing over detailed dossiers he had on their side... 

2 hours ago, oafcprozac said:

. If you’re looking for a comparison to Royle well we played our best football during Shez’s first spell, the sane guy who masterminded two escapes when all looked lost. It ended on a sour note on three occasions but Shez has had the greatest impact on Oldham Athletic since Joe.

2 hours ago, HarryBosch said:

I agree Shez has been our best manager since Royle,

With regards to Sheridan you are both right he should and is held in higher regard than Johnson as a manager of OAFC but if you look at what happened at the start of the season to him it proves that any manager is only 10-12 bad results away from the chop. For this reason is it difficult to blame a manager for wanting to jump ship the minute his stock rises?

The circumstances managers have been working in the last few years have been incredibly difficult. David Dunn is mocked for his parting shot at the club saying Fergie or Mourinho couldn't keep us up and although he was wrong in the most literal terms there was some logic in his statement, when you consider struggling to pay the wages, an incomplete stand, winding up petitions, and loans to dodgy loan sharks all going on in the background, throw in Chedgate and Montanogate, the fact that Johnson made us competitive in this division is quite an achievement.

Hopefully the circumstances that managers at OAFC are going to change for the better very soon.

The fact we still talk about him says a lot. . However he doesn’t get anywhere near being our best since JR. 

He was and is very capable, as many have said he was very good at PR. We bought into his bullshit, and then when we realised he didn’t really mean ‘one club one dream’ it stung. However the football (the bit fans really care about) was for the most part bang average. Apart from the two month spell around Oct/Nov culminating in the 3-0 away win at Rochdale.  After that the many faces of Lee Johnson appeared and the wheels fell off. 

Ive been to 4 games since Wellens took over, and I can honestly say I’ve enjoyed those a lot more than anything Johnson served up. The football is far, far superior. In fact  I’d much rather watch a Shez, Dowie, or Wellens side,  before LJ. 

He got results with us in a very similar way to Ronnie Moore did, pragmatic, percentage football. How do we remember Ronnie again. . ? 

12 minutes ago, League one forever said:

How do we remember Ronnie again. . ? 

The last manager to show a degree of long term progress who was unreasonably hounded out of the club by a bunch of self entitled, petulant fans, and spineless chairman who refused to stick by him.

But that's just how I remember him...

26 minutes ago, PlayItLivo said:

The last manager to show a degree of long term progress who was unreasonably hounded out of the club by a bunch of self entitled, petulant fans, and spineless chairman who refused to stick by him.

But that's just how I remember him...

Ok. .

Did you enjoy the football under him? Personally I didn’t. Like I didn’t under LJ. However I fully understood that’s what they felt was the best way to get results. 

Shez first spell, Dowie, and Wellens see it very differently, and their sides reflect this. They also had more relative success. I’d much rather watch their football, but each to their own. 

16 minutes ago, opinions4u said:

When Johnson left hope and optimism went with him.

In what sense? That we would never be successful again? Or something else? 

I felt something similar at the time. But on refelection it was what he created ‘we’re in it together’ ‘one club one dream’ rather than the football IMO.  Until near the end he was very good at masking the shit behind the scenes and making us feel we were going places. When we in reality nothing had changed. 

Very good at leading and managing the club as a whole for a time, but it did mask the football IMO. 

2 hours ago, League one forever said:

The fact we still talk about him says a lot. . However he doesn’t get anywhere near being our best since JR. 

He was and is very capable, as many have said he was very good at PR. We bought into his bullshit, and then when we realised he didn’t really mean ‘one club one dream’ it stung. However the football (the bit fans really care about) was for the most part bang average. Apart from the two month spell around Oct/Nov culminating in the 3-0 away win at Rochdale.  After that the many faces of Lee Johnson appeared and the wheels fell off. 

Ive been to 4 games since Wellens took over, and I can honestly say I’ve enjoyed those a lot more than anything Johnson served up. The football is far, far superior. In fact  I’d much rather watch a Shez, Dowie, or Wellens side,  before LJ. 

He got results with us in a very similar way to Ronnie Moore did, pragmatic, percentage football. How do we remember Ronnie again. . ? 

I never bought into "his bullshit" nor did it sting when he went. I was disappointed but it amazes me anybody still gets upset or surprised at such happenings...

The football at the beginning of his first full season was fantastic, but we kept losing.

He then tightened us up with the same group of players in a manner I hadn't seen before or since. I found that fascinating, there are many ways to play football. And it then started to work. 

Since, probably because of, Ronnie Moore I've learnt to appreciate & enjoy winning football regardless of the style (within reason). 

Like you I'm thoroughly enjoying watching us under Wellens but not as much (yet) as I did under LJ at, eg Fleetwood & Rochdale away or going 5th when we beat Swindon.

We were scoring, winning and looking like we had a chance of going up - it always means more and feels more enjoyable when it could actually be taking us somewhere... 

And, in these times of incessant Corney-bashing (which I've sadly become part of)  let's not forget what a bold (& correct) move it was by SC at the time in biting the bullet and appointing him... 

Good luck to him, especially tonight.. 

In fact - does anyone else see similarities in him and Wellens? 

The way Richie talks the club up and wants to make it an attractive place to decent players looking for a stepping stone or loan move is very reminiscent of LJ's patter. 

In fact it's all very similar shtick albeit delivered in a more Shez like Mancunian manner. 

Will that all be "bullshit" aswell once he moves on to bigger and better things? 

7 hours ago, GlossopLatic said:

The circumstances managers have been working in the last few years have been incredibly difficult. David Dunn is mocked for his parting shot at the club saying Fergie or Mourinho couldn't keep us up and although he was wrong in the most literal terms there was some logic in his statement, when you consider struggling to pay the wages, an incomplete stand, winding up petitions, and loans to dodgy loan sharks all going on in the background, throw in Chedgate and Montanogate, the fact that Johnson made us competitive in this division is quite an achievement.

There was no logic in anything Dunn said (or did..) ever.

57 minutes ago, HarryBosch said:

The way Richie talks the club up and wants to make it an attractive place to decent players looking for a stepping stone or loan move is very reminiscent of LJ's patter. 

In fact it's all very similar shtick albeit delivered in a more Shez like Mancunian manner. 

Will that all be "bullshit" aswell once he moves on to bigger and better things? 

I do think Johnson tried to create bullshit news to keep himself or the club in the limelight.  The £450 bottle of wine.  Playing Anton v Brendan at Anfield.  Talking about his snow angels v Peterborough.

Wellens, I'd like to think, is a bit less superficial than that side of things.

11 minutes ago, JoeP said:

There was no logic in anything Dunn said (or did..) ever.

Knock him for being a shit manager yes but the point he made that being Oldham manager for quite some time now has been a tough gig Look how many we have gonevthrough since Johnson left.

1 hour ago, HarryBosch said:

Hes a little bit Shez a little bit Johnson yes kind of a happy median between the 2.

Edited by GlossopLatic

It's interesting to reflect on the Comments about Dean Holdens coaching abilities on here,when he was with us e.g. "He should be nowhere near a League 1 football team".He is now working with LJ again and enjoying a reasonable level of success at a higher level.Was he just learning with us;now got lucky;was better than many thought or is still no good and will be found out.

4 minutes ago, laticsmarra said:

It's interesting to reflect on the Comments about Dean Holdens coaching abilities on here,when he was with us e.g. "He should be nowhere near a League 1 football team".He is now working with LJ again and enjoying a reasonable level of success at a higher level.Was he just learning with us;now got lucky;was better than many thought or is still no good and will be found out.

Quite a few coaches at Bristol. Not just him. I still don’t like him whatever he does.