Ernieflag at Ewood... and thoughts on rivalries

19 hours ago, Latics and England said:

What season did you start watching Latics and who are the three clubs you most dislike?

Watched them all my life, but can remember games from about 94 onwards.

And still, the club I hate more than anyone is Latics. Ruined my weekends a lot more than any other team have...

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, deyres42 said:

Bury and Rochdale first fixtures I look for, not sure why people try to downplay it, bit of snobbery perhaps.

Never met a City fan who wasn't sound and couldn't really give a monkeys about United.

Bury and Rochdale away fixtures I always look for cos they’re the guaranteed aways I know I’ll attend, but I think a rivalry is as much if not more about the home tie. One of those games you feel up for even on a Saturday in November. In that sense I couldn’t give a monkeys if we played Rochdale, Bury or Gillingham or MK at BP,  never give a thought to sitting nearer the away fans or changing any part of pre match routine for.

The more you read this thread the more I think we need to get into the championship. Bolton Leeds and Preston in there now, Wigan and Blackburn likely to join them and at some point in the future Huddersfield and Burnley will drop back into the championship we can have some proper rivalries with teams capable of filling more than 2 blocks of seats in the chaddy end and who over time will start to take us seriously.

59 minutes ago, cmr said:

I have a dislike for Leeds (who doesn't) and FC United of Manchester because there is no reason why that club should have been formed.

Id have thought the reasons for forming FCUM were pretty good on the ethical scale.

Although guaranteed conflicts of interest lie ahead.

11 minutes ago, opinions4u said:

Id have thought the reasons for forming FCUM were pretty good on the ethical scale.

Due to the fact that Man United havent been damaged in any sort of way it did look like a massive throwing of toys out of the pram from the self riteous.

12 minutes ago, opinions4u said:

The way I see it is they abandoned their club because they didn't agree with things happening at the club like ticket prices etc. Its the premier league, get over it. Your club did not get moved 100 miles up the road. You are not AFC Wimbledon

They could have decided to support another team in the local area (Bury, Oldham, Rochdale, Burnley, Blackburn, Bolton, Accrington etc) in protest but instead decided to form a club and leech off the popularity of one of the biggest clubs in the world. The last thing the north west needed was another football club.

All the "supporters" who jumped on the FCUM bandwagon have been waxing lyrical about the atmosphere, good football and a great day out etc like its somehow different from any other club. These are the same fans that would claim all football outside of the top 4 premiership was shit before FCUM.

What happens if they get to the premiership and ticket prices go up? Rearrange the team name and create another club?

MUFC fans swiftly forgot to flaunt their green and gold scarves at OT after the 2011 title win. Self-entitled wankers. 

I’m not arsed about City, find it hard to hate a club that causes a United meltdown almost weekly. I’d probably think differently about them if I was old enough to watch us in the 80s/90s.

For me it’s Huddersfield and Tranmere. They’re both similar sized clubs who always brought decent followings and there was a genuine dislike from both sides. Most Dale and Bury fans don’t care about us.

Edited by Ryan

FCUM is a concept that I never understood. If the fans had genuinely fallen out of love with professional football there were hundreds of clubs tgey could have supported. Setting up their own did nothing to help non-league football. One bumper crowd a season for clubs on the same division was offset with significant policing costs.

The strangest thing was that they all kept their old affiliation. They still sing about United and watch United on TV. I'm sure at one point they even arranged matches so that they didn't clash.

Leeds, I have an unbridled  hatred of leeds 

been watching Latics since 91 but I'm a lot older in footballing terms .

i was at a game in the 1980s birmingham v Leeds there was a riot and a wall collapsed in on child who subsequently died.

i hate tranmere  without reason.

i can't bare Millwall

manue

oh and mk dons  ffs 

i love Latics but they make me miserable ! 

Edited by 4oakslatic

5 hours ago, cmr said:

The way I see it is they abandoned their club because they didn't agree with things happening at the club like ticket prices etc. Its the premier league, get over it. Your club did not get moved 100 miles up the road. You are not AFC Wimbledon

They could have decided to support another team in the local area (Bury, Oldham, Rochdale, Burnley, Blackburn, Bolton, Accrington etc) in protest but instead decided to form a club and leech off the popularity of one of the biggest clubs in the world. The last thing the north west needed was another football club.

All the "supporters" who jumped on the FCUM bandwagon have been waxing lyrical about the atmosphere, good football and a great day out etc like its somehow different from any other club. These are the same fans that would claim all football outside of the top 4 premiership was shit before FCUM.

What happens if they get to the premiership and ticket prices go up? Rearrange the team name and create another club?

1 hour ago, Latics and England said:

FCUM is a concept that I never understood. If the fans had genuinely fallen out of love with professional football there were hundreds of clubs tgey could have supported. Setting up their own did nothing to help non-league football. One bumper crowd a season for clubs on the same division was offset with significant policing costs.

The strangest thing was that they all kept their old affiliation. They still sing about United and watch United on TV. I'm sure at one point they even arranged matches so that they didn't clash.

I recall them having a United day to try and gain more supporters whow would support BOTH teams. I've ignored them since.

Their ethos quickly being compromised for commercial expediency, the very thing they were supposed to be protesting about.

I don't hate any team, too strong a word, but I have no time for them.

Regarding club rivalries, a couple of dodgy or teenage keyboard warrior fans on half term, or a fly by night player is not going to affect my judgement of any club.

The rivalry is purely pitch based or location based for me, not some sheeple based trolling.

Blackburn are, because we were in the same division and battled league positons for 20 out of 23 seasons between 1971-1994. Tranmere developed for a time, because of psotion and Ronnie Moore I guess.

Whilst Rochdale has become one due to frquency, they hate the fact we think were superior , when we currently are not. Part of me hopse normal service is resumed this season though, only because 2 teams below us gives us more chance to survice, but I'd prefer all 3 of us to be safe this season for the rivalry for another yea and an opportunity to lord it by finally getting promoted...

7 hours ago, opinions4u said:

I thought FCUM had already imploded? Last I heard... boardroom fall outs and fan protests. 

3 hours ago, Ryan said:

MUFC fans swiftly forgot to flaunt their green and gold scarves at OT after the 2011 title win. Self-entitled wankers. 

I’m not arsed about City, find it hard to hate a club that causes a United meltdown almost weekly. I’d probably think differently about them if I was old enough to watch us in the 80s/90s.

For me it’s Huddersfield and Tranmere. They’re both similar sized clubs who always brought decent followings and there was a genuine dislike from both sides. Most Dale and Bury fans don’t care about us.

While Bury and Rochdale fans say they don’t care about us, they can’t take numbers to any away games, not even to each other. I think it’s just an expedient way of defending the fact we always eclipse their support by quite some way.

As we have a genuine belief (knowledge) that we’re a bigger club than both and it’s pretty odious when a fan base pushes that it’s hard to imagine they don’t dislike us

First season was 86/87 my interpretation of our biggest and traditional rivals going back to then are:

Leeds United - we played them 9 times in my first 15 months as a fan including the ill fated play off semi final.

And over the first four seasons I followed Latics we played Leeds 16 times! And even drew them in the cup when a league apart in 90/91!

Blackburn at the time were very much a similar sized club and fan base, their ground was similar and we usually beat them at home only for Simon Garner to beat us on his own at Ewood.

once the good times rolled I counted the Manchester clubs as rivals but for bragging rights only. We came close in the FAC SFs twice and beat United in the league. We regularly beat City at Maine Road too 4 times out of 7 losing once but they beat us at BP 4 out of the last 8. Beating United in ‘93 meant more than the times I’ve seen us beat City combined.

The biggest satisafsction for me over the last 25 years is any win over Tranmere, simply because I don’t see them as a rival but their fans being absolute gobshites with delusions of grandeur.

Neither do I see Bury, Blackpool or Rochdale as rivals more noisy neighbours desperate to matter. A rivalry is when you pack each other’s away ends - never happens with their pitiful away followings from Bury and Dale.

The Bolton rivalry came too early for me being born as I was in ‘77. Although the two away games in ‘94 (1-0 & 2-2) were awesome ? 

Going back to the start of my post and I haven’t celebrated any goal as mentally as Menig’s winner v Blackburn the 80s rivalry sub consciously exploded shame they’re likely to go straight back up.

Edited by oafcprozac

Started watching 1963

Hate MAN U obviously , but the one that gets me going is Wigan , hate their use of our nickname . Every time they mention "Latics on tv or in the paper it sets my teeth on edge ! Keep hoping they will run out of money and get back down to division 4 and then see how many real plastic fans they have ( I remember 2000 gates at that shit hole Springfield Park.  Living in the Fylde Blackpool and Fleetwood are my first look for fixtures. I wish someone would explain to me how Fleetwood get round the financial fair play rules on their gates!!

On 12/02/2018 at 6:31 PM, Latics and England said:

I can't stand them and all their hypocrisy but, the one part I do get is them not choosing to support another team that had been in existence all the time they were supporting big United. 

I couldn't do that either. 

It was easy for them to make a stand against a club that size knowing it wouldn't hurt them in any great way. 99% of supporters could never do that without risking killing their club. 

3 hours ago, HarryBosch said:

Back to the original question - I always find an important component of a rivalry/hatred is there being the possibility of getting twatted when you play them... 

You don't get the nervous adrenaline that you got walking through that tunnel at Elland Rd when you play Yeovil away... 

Even though Yeovil generally DO twat us.