Ishmael Miller signs

Just now, kowenicki said:

But hasn’t Baxter effectively just had a year off too?  

didn't do too bad before the controversial bit of his career eh ?

I would say the club did well out of his last spell but maybe that was Corney's good fortune. 

Maybe you could enlighten me to the qualities of Mr Miller that i and several thousand other football fans may not be aware of.

Here we go again. Another one written off before he kicks a ball. Are all clubs' forums like this, or is it just Latics that has so many judgemental "fans" who only see the down side of everything? 

I really do despair of our fan base sometimes. And here we have one slagging off the latest signing without having seen him, but can't remember the name of the on loan keeper. Keep up lad.

Oh well, I suppose you're a better judge of a player without seeing him than Bunn, who was not too shabby a striker himself, is having watched him with the squad for the last three weeks.

I give up. I wonder if archiecat is Kusunga's double account.

Edited by Bristolatic

2 minutes ago, Bristolatic said:

Here we go again. Another one written off before he kicks a ball. Are all clubs' forums like this, or is it just Latics that has so many judgemental "fans" who only see the down side of everything? 

I really do despair of our fan base sometimes. And here we have one slagging off the latest signing without having seen him, but can't remember the name of the on loan keeper. Keep up lad.

Oh well, I suppose you're a better judge of a player without seeing him than Bunn, who was not too shabby a striker himself, is having watched him with the squad for the last three weeks.

I give up.

Why do you come on here. . . So everyone agrees with you all the time?

Why do you despair with our fan base? Very strange comment. 

It’s forum, sometimes we agree, sometimes we don’t. That’s the whole point isn’t it? 

It never ceases to amaze me people’s reactions to when somebody disagrees, or has the termerity to dare question a signing. 

Hopefully he rips it up. But I don’t think he will. 

I give up as well. 

11 minutes ago, Bristolatic said:

I think he’s a Rochdale fan, don’t teally know why he’s on here. 

14 minutes ago, League one forever said:

Why do you come on here Because I'm a long standing Latics fan and enjoy discussing all things Latics. . . So everyone agrees with you all the time?

Not at all. I like a good discussion/debate and, if you care to look around, you'll find a great many posters I agree with. I don't expect others to agree with me either. That's the basis of a good debate, but it needs some substance

OK, I'll qualify that with SOME of our fan base. The ones who instantly rubbish a signing without giving them a chance. And that's a strange comment? OK

It’s forum, sometimes we agree, sometimes we don’t. That’s the whole point isn’t it? 

Which is precisely why I made the comments. Debate/discussion. 

It never ceases to amaze me people’s reactions to when somebody disagrees, or has the termerity to dare question a signing. 

Anyone has the right to question a signing but, for the love of God, at least see them play before you make a decision, good or bad. Examples: Some said that Missilou and Branger-Engone would be rubbish because they're from the French lower leagues. At least one of those had admitted they were wrong to pre-judge as they have found them to be pretty good since they've seen them play. 

Hopefully he rips it up.

I hope so too

But I don’t think he will. 

He might, he might not. We'll have to wait and see

I give up as well. 

Please don't. As I said, I like a good discussion

41 minutes ago, Bristolatic said:

I am not  Kusunga, neither am i genius like yourself who knows a good player from 200 miles away but i have 2 eyes and they work perfectly well .

If i see a player who looks crap, i will say it like it is.

No need to despair about me friend .

26 minutes ago, HallamBlue said:

Your opinion is exactly that and its you whose taking offence I hadnt even read your post. If you are assuming you are a miserable bastard thats your choice but certainly wasnt directed your way. Usually enjoy your posts. however. What the Stan Mathews ref has to do with it?. If you bother to read my post properly it says might not work but its the way that some are tacitly saying Bunn and Rhodes are idiots, yes men etc when clearly they arent.  is a bit weird when they both care a lot about the club. Whats wrong with being positive until they fail in some future moment and who should we sign in your opinion that you feel would do a good job? Miller is speculative but someone Bunn has known I am told 18 years and has a feeling he can do a job, I do accept its equally possible hes the next Ricketts/Ngoo but deserves a chance to convince us. MK is a tough start to judge all the team as anything possible. 

Sorry if i misjudged your initial post, i would like nothing better than for Miller to prove his worth but do have serious doubts,

Maybe the fact that some players don't set the world in fire,are then released and are signed on the back of a couple of training sessions and a few minutes of friendly game plants seeds of doubt.

1 hour ago, archiecat said:

didn't do too bad before the controversial bit of his career eh ?

I would say the club did well out of his last spell but maybe that was Corney's good fortune. 

Maybe you could enlighten me to the qualities of Mr Miller that i and several thousand other football fans may not be aware of.

Some of this will do.

48 minutes ago, League one forever said:

Why do you come on here. . . So everyone agrees with you all the time?

Hopefully he rips it up. But I don’t think he will. 

I give up as well. 

It’s probably that a lot of our fan base are just massively negative and depressive for the sake of it...

i dont know if he will be any good but I’m willing to at least watch a game with him in before filling the bath and whipping out the razor blades 

Are we now looking at 3-5-2? The balance of the squad might suggest it.

Iverson/Placide/Zeus

Edmundson/Hamer  Clarke/Graham  Taylor/Stott

Dummy/Cotterill   Gardner/Coke   Missile/Branger   Nepo/Hunt

Baxter/Mao

Windy/O'Grady     Surridge/Benteke

We've also got the two kids, Fane and Doofus. Hmm. Doesn't seem to be shaping at all badly, at least for Division Four. It might take a few weeks before they settle ( i think MK will be a tricky one), but with a bit of patience we might be able to make more of a fist of it this time.

2 minutes ago, bigfatjoe1 said:

Are we now looking at 3-5-2? The balance of the squad might suggest it.

Iverson/Placide/Zeus

Edmundson/Hamer  Clarke/Graham  Taylor/Stott

Dummy/Cotterill   Gardner/Coke   Missile/Branger   Nepo/Hunt

Baxter/Mao

Windy/O'Grady     Surridge/Benteke

We've also got the two kids, Fane and Doofus. Hmm. Doesn't seem to be shaping at all badly, at least for Division Four. It might take a few weeks before they settle ( i think MK will be a tricky one), but with a bit of patience we might be able to make more of a fist of it this time.

Doubt it, don't think hes played 3-5-2 at all during pre season?

1 hour ago, Bristolatic said:

Bristol you come on here and talk sense and are not antagonistic in your posts. i always respect your views and usually agree with them. Tonight however Archiecat has a valid point in my opinion. Just because i have never seen a player play doesnt mean my view is invalid if it is based on evidence. Miller has played around 200 games and scored around 40 goals in the last 12 years roughly. So 18 games and 4 goals a year , again roughly. In my opinion he started off at the top as a youngster and didnt live up to his potential and has dropped through the leagues living on this potential ever since.

BP1960 who knows far more about these things than me has compared him to the unit that is Ade Akinfenwa. In the last 18 years roughly , he has played  around 650 games and scored about 190 goals. More pertinently in the last 3 seasons has has played  160 games and scored nearly 50  goals.  My comparison with Miller is that Akinfenwa has succeeded knocking around the bottom division that we are in because of learned street craft and using his skill. I am not convinced Miller has shown evidence that he is able to do either, but i would love to be proved wrong.

Apologies if the 'stats ' aren't bang on but i couldnt be arsed to add up accurately :}

@astottie I won't disagree with the bulk of what you have just said. Neither were any of my posts intended to offend, so I apologise to @archiecat for the comparison with another poster. I just simply find it somewhat bamboozling that players are written off before even kicking a ball. I'm a firm believer in giving everyone a fair crack before coming to any conclusions. 

It works the other way, too. Remember us all being chuffed to bits when we signed Adam Rooney? He was going to boot us into the promised land and we know how that ended. I'll repeat what I said earlier about the #frenchlads, who were instantly regarded as bobbins by some before anyone had seen them. Opinions have changed since they've featured in pre-season.

So let's give Miller a chance. He just might come good and bag a panful. He might also turn out to be dog shit, but until he's played a few, we simply don't know.

I've tried to make a reasoned argument for giving everyone a chance and trusting Bunn's and Rhodes' decisions. That's what I believe we should do, rather than resort to:

1 hour ago, archiecat said:

neither am i genius like yourself who knows a good player from 200 miles away

No need to despair about me friend .

I'm all for reasoned arguments and discussions, often with some banter thrown in, and some of us will just have to agree to disagree (to quote Kenny Everett "in the best possible taste, of course").

5 minutes ago, Ryan said:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/15436377

http://www.yeovilexpress.co.uk/sport/11131590.Gary_Johnson_explains_Miller_departure/

Seems like a bit of a #badegg this lad. Can’t be any good for the #squadharmony - what you doing Frankie?

Any other examples? Something from the last 4 years?  Perhaps he’s grown up? 

Edited by kowenicki

5 minutes ago, Ryan said:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/15436377

http://www.yeovilexpress.co.uk/sport/11131590.Gary_Johnson_explains_Miller_departure/

Seems like a bit of a #badegg this lad. Can’t be any good for the #squadharmony - what you doing Frankie?

Or Gary Johnson isn't as good a manager as he thinks he is. Some times personalities clash, but we've some decent evidence that won't be the case here. 

Plus there are likely to be other reasons why someone on loan at Yeovil throws their toys out of the pram that won't be relevant.