Trust Oldham annoucement. Boundary park purchase

• Replies 194
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

While eagerly looking forward to Saturday I can’t help but ponder. 

A local retired player and Latics fan, who was coached as a youth by, arguably, the best youth coach of his era. Then went onto become, arguably, one of the best mid-fielders of his era for, arguably, one of the biggest clubs in the world. And was then managed for virtually his entire career by, arguably, the most successful manager in football history. While in his spare time accumulated over 60 England Caps. Scholes can’t be casually discounted from being one of the best candidates ‘ever’ for possessing the insight,  experience and mindset to actually becoming an outstanding coach right through the whole coaching system of ‘any’ club. 

By pure coincidence it now appears that serious investment is being considered into the club. 

Just saying like. 

13 minutes ago, mikeroyboy said:

A local retired player and Latics fan, who was coached as a youth by, arguably, the best youth coach of his era. Then went onto become, arguably, one of the best mid-fielders of his era for, arguably, one of the biggest clubs in the world. And was then managed for virtually his entire career by, arguably, the most successful manager in football history. While in his spare time accumulated over 60 England Caps. Scholes can’t be casually discounted from being one of the best candidates ‘ever’ for possessing the insight,  experience and mindset to actually becoming an outstanding coach right through the whole coaching system of ‘any’ club. 

By pure coincidence it now appears that serious investment is being considered into the club. 

Just saying like. 

Mmmmm.

I couldn’t get my head around why Scholes would want the job. No money/ erratic owner etc etc. However if he had whisper of potential investment, it would make a lot more sense. . 

1 minute ago, mikeroyboy said:

Just saying like. 

I just don’t understand why someone would pay £6m for the land and North Stand unless they were connected to the club and safeguarding our future.

Am I right in thinking that the land cannot be developed for anything other than the football club without our authority until 2031?  If so, why buy to develop because you’d need to relocate the club or compensate us to relocate.  Even if that happened, I doubt there’s £6m available even after profiting from housing plus funding that relocation.  Even a Tesco building an Extra there couldn’t afford to pay us off the move.

This means someone is buying to then hopefully sell back to the club, at a profit, when we can afford it.  Unless AL finds the cash personally or finds someone willing to waste over £6m, we cannot afford to buy it back until we’ve reached the Premier League. 

There is one other scenario; AL/owner, sick of the condition of the three stands, decides to relocate the club.  This therefore allows the land owner to develop without having to compensate the club.  

8 hours ago, Midsblue said:

I just don’t understand why someone would pay £6m for the land and North Stand unless they were connected to the club and safeguarding our future.

Am I right in thinking that the land cannot be developed for anything other than the football club without our authority until 2031?  If so, why buy to develop because you’d need to relocate the club or compensate us to relocate.  Even if that happened, I doubt there’s £6m available even after profiting from housing plus funding that relocation.  Even a Tesco building an Extra there couldn’t afford to pay us off the move.

This means someone is buying to then hopefully sell back to the club, at a profit, when we can afford it.  Unless AL finds the cash personally or finds someone willing to waste over £6m, we cannot afford to buy it back until we’ve reached the Premier League. 

There is one other scenario; AL/owner, sick of the condition of the three stands, decides to relocate the club.  This therefore allows the land owner to develop without having to compensate the club.  

Planned permission was previously given to build house  (including afford houses / accommodation for nurses) on the land surrounding the ground (car park etc)

12 minutes ago, mad4it said:

Planned permission was previously given to build house  (including afford houses / accommodation for nurses) on the land surrounding the ground (car park etc)

You think there's enough land there to justify the £6 million + price tag and everything that goes with it?

8 hours ago, Midsblue said:

I don’t pretend, never have done, to be knowledgeable enough on the clubs long standing and present set up to debate it coherently.

As fans (the same for all cubs) we depend on a wealthy benefactor/s to support our hobby. We have no meaningful say in how this arranged or carried out. 

What I do believe I’m knowledgeable about is the most important item of a successful enterprise is its product. 

We have all seen the media attention created by Paul Schole’s appointment. I have highlighted his undoubted attributes. I now await with interest and antisipation how he mobilises our group of stuttering misfits into a reliable 2pts a game promotion contenders. 

‘Whoever’ is is driving the financial bus has made a pretty asstute assessment of what would drive ‘our’ club forward on the pitch in my opinion.

Bums on seats is where it starts. Hold tight. 

1 hour ago, yarddog73 said:

You think there's enough land there to justify the £6 million + price tag and everything that goes with it?

There might be if Brassbank hadn’t sold some of it, I’m not very clued in on land prices. Land and property value is likely to be affected by Brexit isn’t it.

Well if nobody can develop the land where the stadium sits until after 2031 then this remains a massive financial millstone around Blitz’s neck.  No wonder he’s reappeared and keen to sell it onto some other schmuck.  

The rent paid by the club annually is probably less than any interest gained if that £6m sat in a high-interest account.  

I return to my original question;

Outside of a fan or the Trust, why would any sane person spend £6m to purchase the land when there’s no realistic investment return for 12 years?  

A bid, whoever it’s from, I can only see as a good move.  We’ve got 12 years to produce a contingency plan to buy it back or relocate the stadium or would be sufficiently compensated if that changes any sooner?!

10 minutes ago, singe said:

I don't think we should assume it is £6m.

You're happy to assume that the very, very vague news is good news based on fuck all but don't want to "assume" the £6m reported by a so far largely reliable, straight shooting BBC journo is accurate?

How does that work? 

Edited by HarryBosch

14 minutes ago, Midsblue said:

Well if nobody can develop the land where the stadium sits until after 2031 then this remains a massive financial millstone around Blitz’s neck.  No wonder he’s reappeared and keen to sell it onto some other schmuck.  

The rent paid by the club annually is probably less than any interest gained if that £6m sat in a high-interest account.  

I return to my original question;

Outside of a fan or the Trust, why would any sane person spend £6m to purchase the land when there’s no realistic investment return for 12 years?  

A bid, whoever it’s from, I can only see as a good move.  We’ve got 12 years to produce a contingency plan to buy it back or relocate the stadium or would be sufficiently compensated if that changes any sooner?!

They wouldn’t..... and it’s part of a bigger plan, by people who care about our club.

14 minutes ago, ghostofcecere said:

They wouldn’t..... and it’s part of a bigger plan, by people who care about our club.

Noted if it was kickstarted by the fan-led consortium.

However, I was led to believe that the fan-led consortium are involved as a result of another bid by parties unknown 

6 minutes ago, HarryBosch said:

Go on......

Don’t know specifics, but I think what has been hinted to me was from someone who would know, just that the group involved have a bigger long term plan. If you owned the land and the stands, what would you want to do next?

Edited by ghostofcecere

13 minutes ago, ghostofcecere said:

Don’t know specifics, but I think what has been hinted to me was from someone who would know, just that the group involved have a bigger long term plan. If you owned the land and the stands, what would you want to do next?

Sell the lot for housing and move to Failsworth?...on second thoughts.