The Silence that became and Applause

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

From where I was it looked like a woman in a chicken hat started applauding before the announcer had finished speaking, a few more joined in which was met with a chorus of boos and ssshhh, when it became apparent that the clappers weren't stopping everyone else joined in as it was starting to be a bit undignified and by applauding it covered up the embarrassment.

A few started clapping in the Latics end.

A few in the Liverpool.

Applause gradually took over.

What was the applause on about 23 minutes for?

Justice for 96 Hillsborough tribute as they started singing justice for 96 directly afterwards, why they do it in the 23rd of games i don't know

Justice for 96 Hillsborough tribute as they started singing justice for 96 directly afterwards, why they do it in the 23rd of games i don't know

Is it how far into the game they were at Hillsborough when the tragedy became apparent?

It was someone in a chicken hat, I was couple of rows back in block 27 and I was annoyed. I thought a silence more appropriate as Wayne had died young, way before his time and that is sad. Applause for someone who has lived a more natural three score and ten, or more, then yes applause as a celebration of their life, just my opinion. Of course as the applause spread I joined in.

I blame the media for their scaremongering that minute's silence don't work which is why most people are accustomed to clapping rather than standing silent during these occasions, force of habit sort of thing.

But then I blame people for being so dumb not to understand the difference between "silence" and "applause".

It was still a nice tribute in the end though.

I do fear that silences are finished at football grounds. I do like the applause where appropriate although I've always felt that the burst of cheering at the end is also part of the tribute. Like most i joined in clapping when it was too late for it to stop and didn't want it to seem half hearted.

I've heard it's done in the 24th minute, i.e. when 23:00 shown on clock, as it's now 24 years since Hillsborough. After this year's anniversary it'll be done in the 25th minute and so on. Appropriate and deserves to be respected, though I did laugh when all the Liverpool fans stood up and someone shouted 'have the benefits inspectors gone home'

I never met him but, from what I've read, he doesn't sound the type who would have wanted you to feel sorry for him.

Perhaps not. But as well as a mark of respect / appreciation it's also a chance for others to ponder their own contributions to the world and consider their own mortality.

Maybe there's no right or wrong here. The applause was odd, but spontaneous. Not got a problem with it, but it was uncomfortable for a moment.

Sorry feel the need to get involved here the woman in the chicken hat who started clapping was in fact my dad - Jeff, lifelong supporter of latics, in his own words Wayne Harrison was one of the best footballers he ever saw play for latics, he wanted to respect him with an applause so that's what he did, in no way was his actions offensive nor did he encourage anyone else to take to applause, it was his way of respecting him and it was took up by many others soon after,

Cheers,

Sean

I think some of the applause also started due to the fantastic introduction it was given on the PA that was so fulsome in its praise of a clearly highly thought of young man. It was uncomfortable for a moment but I thought had a warmth and genuine respect. It is such an incredibly sad story that to celebrate his obvious talent and zest for life worked for me. Some on the Liverpool forum agreed with those who remained silent and I hope his family felt it appropriate.

Sorry feel the need to get involved here the woman in the chicken hat who started clapping was in fact my dad - Jeff, lifelong supporter of latics, in his own words Wayne Harrison was one of the best footballers he ever saw play for latics, he wanted to respect him with an applause so that's what he did, in no way was his actions offensive nor did he encourage anyone else to take to applause, it was his way of respecting him and it was took up by many others soon after,

Cheers,

Sean

At the end of the day no harm was done and I think we can all agree that Wayne's memory was marked by the two clubs he was attached to. As was said on the other page, the announcer paid one of the best tributes I've heard at a match and a few people, more than just your mum/dad/chicken/rooster got caught up in it and applauded.

I think George Best was the first minutes applause in this country, there had been a high profile death in Italy or Spain and it is their tradition to do the applause a couple of weeks before Best's death and it kind of took off over here. In some ways it was a good thing as there are some idiots that would spoil a silence, especially if it was at a match between two antagonistic sets of fans and the applause option prevents this.

My feeling was that it had been announced it was to be a silence and like most people was being silent, I didn't appreciate the clapping but disliked the boos and ssshhhess more so like most people started clapping as it was preferable to the shambles it could have become with half the ground in silence and the other making a hullabaloo. All in all it worked out, seeing the applause spread out like a Mexican wave till the players and officials started clapping too was quite moving.

From a personal point of view I thought that it would have been more appropriate for a minutes silence, which I observed, that said it felt as though the clapping which was undertaken by some was just as respectful. Well done though to LFC for a fitting tribute.

Despite whatever happened or was meant to happen it turned out to be a moving tribute to Wayne Harrison. I am sure that his family will have been pleased.

Well done to all who helped it to turn out the way it did (Just my opinion)