The Silence that became and Applause

Wasn't the 23rd minute applause for the 23 years of effort from the justice campaign before they got an official apology?

The time wasn't significant. They sing 'justice for the 96/stand up for the 96' and applaud at every game, but it's not at a specific time.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

At the risk of repeating myself, Carragher's squad number was 23 (nobody has that number now), hence the tribute applause.

The Liverpool fans I've spoken to don't seem to think that's what it was for.

Beforehand I wouldn't have agreed with Monty, I'd have said it was a mistake til I read a post on facebook by the person who started the clapping. You are right.

"I'll do what I want, I have that right" was the overview of the post.

So - If Waynes family were there (they could've been for all I know) they could have asked for the silence? I'm not to know, pretty sure the person in question wasn't to either.

Or it very least the family will have been notified, I'm pretty sure they will have been - so it's ok that someone in a chicken hat has the right to do what they want is it? No, it's the families right.

But Stevie - they may also not feel that it's a joyous occaision, they might appreciate the clapping. (We are not to know). We were asked to do something out of respect, someone decided "I have the right to respect in another way" - which wasn't asked for, probably at the consulatation of the family.

The intentions of the individual were not respectful, the facebook post said everything.

I disagree that the silence is an abomination. Someone of for example 90 who had a very good innings, will die. I think their life can be celebrated. It should always be up to the family / the person before they die.

Edited by pukka

My take. It was previously communicated that a minutes silence was to be observed at the Liverpool v Oldham match in respect to Wayne Harrison. The announcer on the pitch at the time, clearly stated he invited everyone to observe a minutes silence. That is what should have happened, not what one person wanted to do or even 1% of people wanted to do. In life and society we have rules. These are to avoid anarchy and selfish acts.

Now I have no axe with a minutes applause, if that is the rule stated.

Edited by Lags

You should follow the request out of respect, on the assumption that those who knew him best chose the method.

A guy behind me started clapping - a few of us pointed out it was supposed to be silence - he said he wanted to clap: "I want I want I want, and I don't care how it affects anyone else"

It wasn't a minute applause sort of day. In effect it could have ruined the minutes silence.

However, I found the applause strangely warm and positive. Yes he died young at 47, but I would hope his life was still worth an applause.

I wonder if the fact Liverpool also announced the death of Eusabio had some effect on proceedings ?

Edited by Zorrro