The Silence that became and Applause

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can't see what difference mentioning Eusabio had to do with it. The announcer clearly stated you are invited to join in a minutes silence. Jeff son as already said Jeff intended to clap because he wanted too. It was premeditated.

Edited by Lags

I'm going to harzard a guess that he might. I for one would prefer a minutes clapping or everyone singing 'for he's a jolly good fellow' at mine!!

I couldn't care less what they do at mine, that's if anyone wants to turn up. I'll be to bothered being dead to care.

If Jeff died tomorrow I wonder if he would like people to turn up at his funeral and start clapping.

Having known Jeff for a good number of years and those here that know or see him Facebook know he his ways having a laugh and joke you very rarerly hear him moan or complain.

Nor is Jeff the sort of guy who would do anything that would cause offence to anyone either.

As for people having ago at him for wearing his Chicken Hat at the game he has done it for about 2 years and a lot of fans find funny built his own little fan base up over it.

If people take offence to it they seriously need to look at themselves. No different to Big Tony wearing his Hulk Hogan costume with the exception Jeff does it each game or most.

Having known Jeff for a good number of years and those here that know or see him Facebook know he his ways having a laugh and joke you very rarerly hear him moan or complain.

Nor is Jeff the sort of guy who would do anything that would cause offence to anyone either.

As for people having ago at him for wearing his Chicken Hat at the game he has done it for about 2 years and a lot of fans find funny built his own little fan base up over it.

If people take offence to it they seriously need to look at themselves. No different to Big Tony wearing his Hulk Hogan costume with the exception Jeff does it each game or most.

Well said. People have gotten increasingly carried away in their vilification of the applause as this thread has progressed, but it was, I'm sure, intended as a tribute to Harrison all the same. Perhaps it was misguided or ill-judged but it wasn't malicious.

Well said. People have gotten increasingly carried away in their vilification of the applause as this thread has progressed, but it was, I'm sure, intended as a tribute to Harrison all the same. Perhaps it was misguided or ill-judged but it wasn't malicious.

I don't see anyone getting carried away Stevie at all. It's clear you believe it was fine, and yes, the tribute in the end was due to everyone slowly joining in. The joining in was far better than others voicing disdain. However, it was wrong to do something like this just because you wanted too, some wishes or rules have to be respected for the greater good. The more this please myself attitude prevails, the more it will become common place with other things perhaps you'll disagree about.

Nobody is suggesting it was malicious.

It was inconsiderate, not malicious.

People are a bit concerned over his reaction.

The chicken hat doesn't help as it implies he's a bit of an attention seeker.

I don't see anyone getting carried away Stevie at all. It's clear you believe it was fine, and yes, the tribute in the end was due to everyone slowly joining in. The joining in was far better than others voicing disdain. However, it was wrong to do something like this just because you wanted too, some wishes or rules have to be respected for the greater good. The more this please myself attitude prevails, the more it will become common place with other things perhaps you'll disagree about.

I didn't say it was fine. But I think it was probably someone with decent intentions getting it wrong. I'd rather give them the benefit of the doubt.

I didn't say it was fine. But I think it was probably someone with decent intentions getting it wrong. I'd rather give them the benefit of the doubt.

Yes, I'd go along with the decent intentions getting it wrong in the act of the celebration itself, not in the premeditated wanting to do it. Am not in the slightest put out by it, it's nowt to do with my conscious to deal with, however the OP asks for our thoughts on it. I guess Jeff's son didn't really help matters by posting a so 'we don't give a damn what anyone thinks attitude post'

Edited by Lags

Just to put the record straight it was not started by anyone wearing a chicken hat .It was started by a guy in block 124,row 26,around seat 80 directly in front of me and I don't believe for one minute that it was intended as anything but a genuine tribute to Wayne.

Just to put the record straight it was not started by anyone wearing a chicken hat .It was started by a guy in block 124,row 26,around seat 80 directly in front of me and I don't believe for one minute that it was intended as anything but a genuine tribute to Wayne.

I don't believe anyone is saying it wasn't meant as a tribute to Wayne. It was just wrong to interrupt the called for silence.

"House"

• 2 weeks later...

all very nice comments about my dad, where are these admins that monitor this offensive material towards other supporters? I remember why I don't post on here, I wanted to clarify my dads point of view and through your own opinions which differ from my dads you have suddenly decided he deserves a torrent of abuse.

Then again this is what I have come to expect off this message board.

It is fine having a difference of opinion but this is shocking, I mean truly shocking to read people say this stuff about my dad.

Then again its the same old posters form years ago when I did post, I think there needs to be more clarity on the rules on OWTB posting, are you allowed to do this abuse? are you not? or are you allowed so long as you have been a very active poster?

And to clear some things up about my dad from the abuse that has gone on here:

1) he wears the chicken hat for a gimmick, he's known as "chicken jeff" all his life as he likes chicken a lot, that's it.

2) he does not do this for attention he does it for a laugh with his mates, not for your benefit, don't flatter yourselves

3) he clapped as this is a known mark of respect, pbserved throughout many events, this was the way he wished to honour the player, nothing to do with you or anyone else, it was HIS way of honouring the player. wether or not you agree with clapping is your own opinion, but don't start throwing abuse around if other people differ in opinion.

That is all im saying and I am once again leaving this site in the same circumstances as last time.