Latics put on Haining Alert

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If rubes is going to be one of the two first choice centre halves we do, without a doubt, need someone dominant and vocal as the other first choice. Haining has those qualities but i think we could get better.

The one thing Will gave us was a threat from set-pieces and a great throw. That apart I thought he was a whole-hearted average player whose head was one of the first to drop.

Can't be true OLDHAMSCOTLAND has not had anything negative to say about it yet

Just seen SPike's post!!

Come on OLDHAM SCOTLAND!

Where are you?

*Drums fingers...*

By spike @ 22/05/2009 12:39:34

Very funny comment by Spike today re Purdie!

A legend already!!!!

I cannot recall your username on here or JKL I think (if it was not Spike!)

Edited by singe

If rubes is going to be one of the two first choice centre halves we do, without a doubt, need someone dominant and vocal as the other first choice. Haining has those qualities but i think we could get better.

I really do hope that Rubes is not first choice next season. I know many on here sing his praises but just look at the goals we conceded during the second-half of the season, so many were down to Hazell switching off. The defence collectively was a shambles but if I had to root out a cause it was Rubes loss of form - in fact it wasn't really a loss of form - more a complete capitualtion in his concentration and confidence and unfortunately (and I know many don't agree with me) it cost us week after week.

Rubes was superb in 07/08 and the first half of 08/09 but for me we arer beginning to see the player that has left all his former clubs pretty indifferent at his exit. One positive was his three goals, something we've lacked from a centre-half. But if we do want to challenge surely we need someone who is on his game more often than not and doesn't let himslef get bullied by his Central Defensive partner and someone who learns from his mistakes.

Let's not forget Allott and Rubes were part of the backbone of the chesterfield team relegated at the end of 06/07.

Nothing personal against Rubes, but I think we need better - good backup though and hopefully he'll take on Stam's role as the spare defender.

Edited by oafcprozac

I really do hope that Rubes is not first choice next season. I know many on here sing his praises but just look at the goals we conceded during the second-half of the season, so many were down to Hazell switching off.

Perhaps his undiagnosed groin problem didn't help?

Sign his wife and put her on that will add more to the gate...although our fans will still moan..

doesnt look like his defending did much for st.mirren. they have finished near the bottom of the division, almost relegated i think,

he was good with his headers and poor on the ground when he was here last.

i would say keep money in pocket . :wink:

Perhaps his undiagnosed groin problem didn't help?

Don't talk such absolute complete and utter sense man!!! :wink:

Some of the talk about Rubes is mind-boggling...no doubt those who think he's such a liability are still saying the sun shines out of Gregans arse and are still struggling to come to terms with the fact he's gone. 2008/9 season...there was only 1 real liability in that back line above others...he just happened to have a few good games late on in the season while his partner suffered an injury nobody knew about.

Rubes, from his press comments from his time here, loves the club...exactly what we need right now!!!

PS Back on topic...Haining...probably the sort we're looking at financially at present. Would take him for a season, but injuries must clear up again. On another point though, in the same breath as ruling our Haining comments about us being a team challenging next season are used...how worrying, if people are expecting that! I really can see the tide already starting to lap very slowly on Penney without a ball kicked...the comments about raiding for ex-Darlo players, comments over letting certain players go and offering Wolfy a chance to prove himself. And some displaying a completely absurd notion that we're building for a challenge next season. Stability next season folks! Expect any more and lump blame on the manager when we're mid-table (as I imagine) and well...let's dance the fandango once again!

Edited by boundaryblue80