The Blue Real

Which Shirt is it!?  

185 members have voted

1. 1. Which shirt do you most want?

• Fluo Yellow
    • Black / Royal
    • Powder Blue
    • Navy / Burgundy
  2. 2. Do you think it's right that the club are to launch another shirt?

• Yes
    • Indifferent
    • No

I am going to vote tangerine. It's the only kit I have wanted and thus owned in the past 5 or 6 years.

All the alternatives are quite frankly horrible. The yellow one looks like Chelsea, the black is like a previous kit which I did not buy because I did not like it. I would not be happy watching us playing in the colours of City, the blue and burgundy will clash, so there is no point. I will not be buying any of them.

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Actually, it was Sheff Utd who first had the flouro yellow yet going back a few years when they were still sponsored by Laver Timber.

...and ended our long unbeaten home run whilst wearing it. Though they did win the league that season and get promoted - so not all bad.

Not a big fan of the 'new rotation' of away kits which means that you get a new away kit every year, plus a new home one every other year. Since then I have only bought home shirts as I think the other changes too often for other teams to know who you support when you are wearing it.

If we accept the new away shirt rotation is a fact of life and provides much needed revenue for the club, there is nothing wrong with challenging the choice of away shirts is there? We change our home shirt regularly but it still maintains (in the most part - red hoops and an all white back have been recent exceptions) the Oldham blue look.

I suppose because we have a 3 shirt policy that the 2nd and 3rd cannot be variations on each other. Shame a new tangerine shirt would have been ok and started a 'brand' as someone else mentioned (Liverpool used be Yellow away - and that was that).

I have voted for the Barca style - buts is the best of a bad bunch and I won't buy it.

Latics have never had an identity in terms of a kit - which is a shame. The red/blue hoops was awful, but tried to reflect an old blue and white hooped shirt from long ago. If at that stage they had gone for blue and white hoops and stuck with it it might have been better.

Like a lot of you I'd stick to tangerine and blue. It reminds me of my first Latics game (1970) and my last Latics game (Everton).

However, if I had to choose I would prefer the Navy and Burgundy. The Fluo Yellow and Powder Blue strips look awful!

:huh:

Chose Navy & Burgundy.

Don't like Black kits, powder blue looks a bit gay and flu yellow just looks ghastly!

Also this kit will clash with everybody so we will mostly have to play in Tangerine

Edited by stewrat

[

Latics have never had an identity in terms of a kit - which is a shame. The red/blue hoops was awful, but tried to reflect an old blue and white hooped shirt from long ago. If at that stage they had gone for blue and white hoops and stuck with it it might have been better.

Sorry Scapegoat, simply not true. From about 1907 throught to 1967 we had distinctive blue & white "thirds" most of the time. There was an exception in the immediate post war period when, for a couple of seasons, we played in Red & white hoops (not blue & white). Kit was hard to come by, clothing ration coupons still required, and we borrowed shirts from Oldham Rugby. And in 1959/60 it was basically a blue shirt with white sleeves and white v-neck.

Ken Bates shifted to tangerine and blue ( a look that was at the time criticised as looking like "Mexican generals") and when we came back to blue and white it was a non-distinctive design initially.

Edited by LaticsPete

[

Sorry Scapegoat, simply not true. From about 1907 throught to 1967 we had distinctive blue & white "thirds" most of the time. There was an exception in the immediate post war period when, for a couple of seasons, we played in Red & white hoops (not blue & white). Kit was hard to come by, clothing ration coupons still required, and we borrowed shirts from Oldham Rugby. And in 1959/60 it was basically a blue shirt with white sleeves and white v-neck.

Ken Bates shifted to tangerine and blue ( a look that was at the time criticised as looking like "Mexican generals") and when we came back to blue and white it was a non-distinctive design initially.

[

That's a VERY good point Pete. Our home kit should revert to being like the 1907-66 ish blue and white 'thirds' type of affair (making sure it's not an absolute abortion like the recent effort with the white back was) and stick with it! The 2nd and 3rd kits should have a tangerine theme - build the brand and it's recognisibility?! Stick with tangerine & blue for 3rd kit if we have to have another one, and have a 2nd kit which is, say, white with tangerine trim (or tangerine and blue trim) like the one proposed last season.

From about 1907 thought to 1967 we had distinctive blue & white "thirds" most of the time

Ken Bates shifted to tangerine and blue.

Latics should use both these designs to distinguish themselves from other clubs.

e.g Blackburn Rovers have never changed their shirt design and it's instantly recognisable.

All Blue is commonplace and shows no particular club identity.

Having said that the Barca kit looks ok and I can hear Latics fans singing now

"We play like Barcelona".

Freddie Mercury's 'Barcelona' would also be a nice tune pre match intro tune.

Throw in a pre season friendly with Barca at BP and the club will be quids in.

Edited by BP1960

Ken Bates shifted to tangerine and blue ( a look that was at the time criticised as looking like "Mexican generals")

Maybe that was because opposition defences often felt like they were facing the Alamo from the cannonball shooting of Alan McNeil. :grin:

Dont much like any of them!! And I will feedback my dislike to the vote. :sign0003:

Dont know how the yellow kit has got so many votes - it's awful and so is the powder blue.

Black/blue is ok-ish but too similar to the current third strip.

Burgundy is the best of a bad bunch and at least may give more outings for the blue/tangerine third kit. If I have to vote, I'd vote for this one.

As for whether we should have another new shirt, it's pretty much unavoidable these days.

I nearly fell off my chair when I read that Latics are having YET ANOTHER bloomin kit. What are we on now - 15 in 4 years? I bet it isn't far off with 'keepers jerseys.

The club needs to generate revenue streams - I totally appreciate that and support them doing that... but I think this pathetic excuse of having a third kit is unfair on the fans. If we were playing in Europe I can understand the need to have kits that meet the fussy regulations UEFA impose... but we don't. The shirt is un-called for. (That is football wide and not Latics specific)

What also gets my goat is these shirts are priced in line with what you would pay for a Man U, Chelsea, Arsenal, or Liverpool shirt that are made by multi-national companies. Whilst I appreciate that your average guy on the terrace doesn't need "Clima Cool" or the latest body cooling technology, the Carlotti shirts are hardly of a similar quality are they. It's like Primark charging Kendals prices.

Neddless to say I'm not happy about it. Not that makes one jot of a difference :angry:

Tantrum over.

Edited by daz_oldham

I nearly fell off my chair when I read that Latics are having YET ANOTHER bloomin kit. What are we on now - 15 in 4 years? I bet it isn't far off with 'keepers jerseys.

The club needs to generate revenue streams - I totally appreciate that and support them doing that... but I think this pathetic excuse of having a third kit is unfair on the fans. If we were playing in Europe I can understand the need to have kits that meet the fussy regulations UEFA impose... but we don't. The shirt is un-called for. (That is football wide and not Latics specific)

What also gets my goat is these shirts are priced in line with what you would pay for a Man U, Chelsea, Arsenal, or Liverpool shirt that are made by multi-national companies. Whilst I appreciate that your average guy on the terrace doesn't need "Clima Cool" or the latest body cooling technology, the Carlotti shirts are hardly of a similar quality are they. It's like Primark charging Kendals prices.

Neddless to say I'm not happy about it. Not that makes one jot of a difference :angry:

Tantrum over.

Not much we can do about it if the club are contracted to having a new away shirt per season and a new home shirt every 2 seasons. In fact, taking it to the extremes, the club has to generate as much income as possible to have a hope of keeping up with the big boys - who's fault is that?

The other way of looking at it Daz, is if you don't agree/like it/whatever, then don't buy one.

In my opinion you have made my point.

We are 100+ years old and we have played in all blue, red and blue hoops (I stand corrected - was sure I saw a team photo of blue and white hoops), blue and tangerine and a 1/3 2/3 blue and white kit. On top of that we have had the recent Pony/Slumberland kit with large white areas under the arms AND the Sparta/Slumberland kit that was almost all white with one blue panel on the front. For a while in the last few years - the blue kits have had red detail e.g. the FA Cup 94 kit.

On top of that I can recall out shorts and socks changing from Blue to White a number of times in the 25 years I have been watching Latics.

We have had a similar design for 60 years (just more that half our existence) but the rest has been a mish-mash. And its the more recent years that I (and most others remember), so I don't think we have an identity in the way that other clubs do.

Other clubs stick to a design (or appear to from my recollection) e.g. Huddersfield, Notts County, Blackburn etc etc. Even other clubs that have a more ordinary design (Man Utd, Chelsea, Birmingham etc) I cannot recall going through the large variation of kits we have over the last 25 years.

For me - short, sock and shirt colours for a home kit should be set in stone. Ours are not - we may have had a period in the early days of football where we did, but we lost that tradition over 40 years ago.

Edited by Scapegoat

I accepted the home kit for 2 years, away kit for 2 years and the alternating change. I useually bought both.

New manufactures / new sponsors was more annoying. I'd buy the former (home shirt only) but not the latter.

Now with the away kit having in essence a 12 month lifespan (3rd kit my backside) have stopped buying away shirts.

You are not forced to buy anything I agree - but the club (and football in general) knows what its doing with this and it stinks.

As for quality of Carlotti - I think its decent actually, as good as many other kits.

We have had a similar design for 60 years (just more that half our existence) but the rest has been a mish-mash. And its the more recent years that I (and most others remember), so I don't think we have an identity in the way that other clubs do.

Other clubs stick to a design (or appear to from my recollection) e.g. Huddersfield, Notts County, Blackburn etc etc. Even other clubs that have a more ordinary design (Man Utd, Chelsea, Birmingham etc) I cannot recall going through the large variation of kits we have over the last 25 years.

For me - short, sock and shirt colours for a home kit should be set in stone. Ours are not - we may have had a period in the early days of football where we did, but we lost that tradition over 40 years ago.

Excellent, but will the club be persuaded ?

NOooo we should vote on the 2nd change strip, Tangerine has to be the first choice away kit, surely

that is the most sensible post i have ever seen.

Latics should be blue home and tang away from home. its tradition (as of this season)

an update of tang would be acceptable.

dont understand how they can have blue kits as a second strip though.

voted for none cos i dont like any

So next season we can look forward to either:-

Monkey Sick Yellow

Grimm Reaper Black

Powder Puff Gay Pride Mardi Gras Blue

Poor man's Barca rip-off

No thanks, more chance of me losing weight and squeezing into one of my many better away shirts. Such as the tremendous jade green/navy lace up effort or the maroon with gold piping we had under Dowie. Tremendous shirts not designed by a chimpanzee that was given a packet of crayolas!#

#Sorry had to let off steam, Chapter 3 of dissertation completed, just need to proof read several times and then email to my tutor who will no-doubt desecrate it!

They all remind me of other clubs except for the black one, which isn't even that nice.

I was horrified when I saw that Chelsea's away kit was gonna be fluorescent yellow, now I have to contemplate the idea that we might be having it as well :blink:

Nah I say stick with the tangerine kit but if thats really not an option, then atleast try and get something more original.