Monkey Sick Yellow Wins

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bloody students were driving me to watching United on the box, so had to get out and do something of value

Students driving you to become Chief product designer at Carlotti? Or a career in modelling the new Latics kit? :blink:

:lol:

Edited by maddog

I can see a few kids getting a high vis vest next christmas with Hughes 9 writen on the back ......

CIMG1582.jpg

"yep its an offical replica love ... what makes you think it ain't?"

That is BRILLIANT!! Where can i get one mate!!!

On a seperate note... I know ideas for OWTB t-shirts are banded about quite often, and we cant annoy the club too much etc... but surely now there is a market for an OWTB tangerine T-shirt...?? Perhaps you could pre-order to check interest and so you boys dont encounter production costs...

On the front: Poss a pic of Gary Mac goin mental - with the logo "We all play in Blue and Tangerine!"

On the back: "OWTB Latics Ultra's"

On the note of the spew yellow, i'm afraid it will probably be the first shirt (home and away) in about 10 years that I wont buy... I dont mind this strip rotation policy, it has to be done commercially, but surely there is nothing wrong with a white shirt with tangerine/blue trim... this is just bobbins... change the shirt, but at least keep some consistency...

Good idea, but make sure the apostrophe is deleted! I don't want to start a punctuation war all over again, but strictly speaking, as the Ultras belong to Latics, it should read "OWTB Latics' Ultras" or "OWTB OAFC Ultras". :peepwall:

Yeah, whatever...

Glad to see you have removed your BALLS sig, which had a similar punctuation mistake... WHICH I DIDN'T MENTION! :wink:

BURTON AREA LOYAL LATICS' SUPPORTERS

Nothing wrong with that - the apostrophe denotes that they are supporters of Latics!

Nope - example, you say that people are Blackburn supporters, not Blackburns' supporters. Being a supporter of the club doesn't make you a possession of the club.

Just filling in until Mr Tulsehill is on duty.

Nope - example, you say that people are Blackburn supporters, not Blackburns' supporters. Being a supporter of the club doesn't make you a possession of the club.

If one says they are Blackburn supporters, then no apostrophe. There is nothing wrong with calling them Blackburn's supporters, when the apostrophe goes before the letter s, not after as you have written it. Agreed that being a supporter of the club does not make you in possession of it - Blackburn's supporters indicates supporters of or belonging to Blackburn. It's the club that posseses the supporters. Hence (Blackburn) Rovers' supporters has the apostrophe after the letter s.

So we have Oldham supporters, or Oldham Athletic supporters, or Oldham's supporters, or Oldham Athletic's suporters. Athletic became known locally as Latic, which became Latics, dare I say it like Rovers (plural). Therefore, like in Rovers' supporters, the apostrophe goes after the letter s in Latics' supporters.

That ends the case for the defence.

Technically, if we're talking of the supporters of Latics, it should be Latics's supporters. Although it is accepted practice for some words, there is no actual rule that the extra 's' after the apostrophe should be dropped just because the word ends in an 's'.

However, in the context of the above, I think it is fair enough to lose the apostrophe and possessive element altogether. Put simply, we are Latics supporters, i.e. supporters who support Latics. We're not actually 'owned' by Latics as such.

[/pedant]

Edited by garcon

Astounding decision this one.

The Tangerine kit has proved very successful and has (whether you like it or not) brought the fans together with my favourite Latics song. My boy is 7 years old now, but when he was very young, I used to bounce him on my knee and sing "We play in Blue and Tangerine".

You fat scouser! You fat scouser! :wink:

Technically, if we're talking of the supporters of Latics, it should be Latics's supporters. Although it is accepted practice for some words, there is no actual rule that the extra 's' after the apostrophe should be dropped just because the word ends in an 's'.

However, in the context of the above, I think it is fair enough to lose the apostrophe and possessive element altogether. Put simply, we are Latics supporters, i.e. supporters who support Latics. We're not actually 'owned' by Latics as such.

[/pedant]

OAFC (Latics) refers to US as ITS supporters, without which IT would be nothing.

Just a thought - and sorry if it has been mentioned already...

But - how open was the away kit poll to sabotage by supporters of other clubs? Ie. could a bored rival fan log on to the latics site with a bunch of their pals and vote for the most horrible kit and then laugh at us when we play in their place?

There's always one stinker of an option, like the baby blue Man City style one we were offered this time around.

And - what's stopping us from doing it to another club for the laugh?

I am a supporter of Latics, just as I am a hater of Virgin Trains. Neither Latics nor Branson's set of malign stooges own me as a consequence of said relationship.

Rather than being classed as a Virgin passenger, which could be miscontrued :wink: , you're one of Virgin's passengers and hence one of Branston's financial supporters. He doesn't own his supporters, but he couldn't manage without them. Whereas you could use another rail service provider, but you wouldn't support another club, would you? We are supporters of the Club, hence the apostophe.

Anyway, everyon'e bored with this, but to get back to the original point - the undeniable fact is that Ultras does not have an apostrophe!