I can only echo the many, many touching and fitting tributes to a true, blue hero.

I am proud and priveliged to have witnessed the pocket dynamo play and will take through my and my boys lives, the outstanding attitude Ernie had towards life.

My heartfelt sympathies go to Ernies family in this devastating time.

RIP Ernie, forever a Latics Legend

• Replies 170
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest gillianfn
Not that it really matters, but I was wondering if anyone knew exactly what job he left to join us? It was reading the obituary on the official site in the office earlier that really brought home the emotion of it to me, I was trying to imagine what it would be like for an Essex boy in his early 20s to go up to his boss and give him his notice as he was going to up sticks and move to some grim Northern mill town to become a footballer on very little money. He must have been :censored:ting himself. I wasn't at his debut but he must have been a bag of nerves, probably imagining phoning his boss up the next day asking for his job back after bombing out. Fortunately he was better than that and rose to the challenge.

Each to their own mate, but on occasions like this I often think for myself that it would be better to give the money to help those who are still around rather than on flowers. Not that I would criticise anyone who wanted to take part in a public demonstration of how we all feel in that way of course.

Ernie was a roofer before he joined Oldham. When I went with him to see the Professor who was caring for him in March, we chatted on the way to the hospital and I asked him the story behind his arrival here. He told me that he was up some ladders when Bob Dowie rang him and told him to get to Oldham. He said he slid down the ladders, threw his tools down and went home for his stuff. He took his last £200 out of the bank and went for the train. He said that as he got into a taxi to make his way to Latics, the taxi driver told him that Latics were in deep trouble and he'd be better off turning back home. He said he was really worried about it then, but thought "Well, I'm here now, let's just see", and bless him, the rest we all know.

He was one of the nicest lads you could ever wish to meet and I'm so sad and sorry for his family. This illness is vile, and I won't rest until I have found some answers.

I note what some of you guys have said about flowers. If it is that you prefer to make a donation that will really matter and make a difference, please take a look at my website. Dr Lorigan is the doctor who initially treated Ernie at the Christie and also my friend Jon who passed away 6 weeks ago. Any donations go straight to the Malignant Melanoma Research Fund which ultimately will make a difference to people like Ernie and Jon. www.factor50.org.uk Thanks. XX

...........He told me that he was up some ladders when Bob Dowie rang him and told him to get to Oldham. He said he slid down the ladders, threw his tools down and went home for his stuff. He took his last £200 out of the bank and went for the train.

I think that says it all really...................

Got a text yesterday morning and although we knew Ernie’s passing was coming it still shook and saddened me to the core. Having been in this situation myself I can empathise with what his family are going through right now, but I cannot begin to imagine how his wife is feeling, it’s just sad beyond belief.

Rest in peace Ernie.

Can I just add one more thing? That night at Spotland when Ernie brought a smile back to the faces of so many of us in such dark times I seem to remember something else that summed him up. He'd been subbed and left the pitch to a tremendous ovation, done the warm down and was finally sat against the hoardings taking a well, really well deserved rest and a drink. Somebody got injured I think and due to our lack of players Ernie was summoned to be a sub, he came back on, all wobbly legged to another ovation and despite obviously being shot still gave his all. I don't know if it’s already been mentioned and I’m not sure if that’s how it happened, and after a couple of conversations with folks looking back at me blankly if it happened! I just thought I'd add it, maybe somebody else recalls it. Anyways remembering the good times is never a bad thing at times like this.

Can I also say that I agree with Gillian, and others on the flowers etc, and I'm certain Ernie would agree. Make a donation to an organisation that is trying to make a difference. It’s too late for Ernie and G's friend Jon, but it’s never too late to keep looking and keep giving hope FACTOR 50.

So very sad and cruel. Can't add much more than what's already been written and said other than I don't think I will meet anyone nicer in my life than Ernie was. A true gent, a free spirit and with a smile that I'll never forget. I think myself and many others will have to fight back the tears at Spotland when we play next month as a full stadium sings "One Ernie Cooksey" in rememberance. As fans, it'll be the closest we'll be able to come to saying our goodbye.

Take care Ernie! You'll always been remembered!

Very true.

The word Legend is used far to easily imo but Ernie was a true legend!

My thoughts go out to Louise and all the family.

R.I.P. Ernie, you will never be forgotten!

Heartbroken

Edited by LaticsAndy

Please don't let this thread just slip down the pages; that would be wholey inappropriate. This should be stuck/pegged (whatever the term is) and kept at the top for some time, before being removed or archived. Can it also be added to the condolences, or created as an ebook of condolences?

I never met Ernie, however I always got the impression he was one of us. My admiration and the reason I will always remember him fondly were for many of the reasons already posted, but also for one particular instant when he did exactly what I wanted to do. Ernie was sub in a game where we were losing by a goal or two. I don't recall who we were playing but the opposition had started to take the ball into the corner and as this is something I detest even when we do it, I started to feel a tad frustrated. Enter Ernie. Within seconds of his introduction the ball was again being shielded in the corner, this time right underneath me in the corner of the Main Stand and the RRE. Ernie raced 20 yards or so and clattered through about 5 players (3 of theirs and 2 of ours) and sent the lot flying. It was an absolute joy to behold and told me that he was just as frustrated as I was, but he was in a position to do something about it. Ernie stood up, looked at the ref, shrugged and held his arms out, the picture of innocence, while myself and those around me cheered him. Somehow he only got booked. Latics lost but I went home with something I will always remember. A player who was bothered - a joy to behold and worth his weight in gold. There are many players who played a lot more games for Latics who will never be remembered like Ernie will.

I would also like to go on a rant about where the top local pros and the PFA and the FA were to help Ernie, but this is not the time nor the place.

Thanks for the memories Ernie - the biggest heart ever to fit in a Latics shirt.

our ernie last night passed away.

he went peacefully in his sleep at midnight.

his family were by his side.

his family would like to pass on their sincere thanks for all support received.

god bless you mate

martin xxx

omg...thats f***ing awful :disappointed:

Rest in peace falla :disappointed:

I've been busy with other things and only just poped onto the site....gutted....

Ernie was a month older than I am, though I'd never have believed it if someone had told me that when I first saw him in the blue shirt. The little baldy fella in midfield, during that season that followed the Chris Moore madness, put to shame so many players I've seen out there on the Boundary Park pitch. In a makeshift squad littered with players who went as quick as they came, he gave absolutely everything. Yes, he wasn't the most gifted but I think he was easily underestimated. The thing that struck me throughout his time at Latics was the amazing leap he had to get up for a header; maybe it was a just talent or maybe it goes some way to show just how much effort went into his game.

I genuinely believe that if every Latics player running out this coming season were to give as much as Ernie did in every game, then we'd win promotion. Thing is, though, Ernie was a one-off in that respect.

As I say, there's was a month between he and I in age and whilst I'm sat here typing this, having put my 10-month-old son to bed, his missus is mourning his passing and gearing up to the birth of her first child. It's absolutely heartbreaking. His child will never know his or her dad but I've no doubt that they will proudly listen to tales, told by so many people, of the man and footballer Ernie was. I simply can't imagine what Louise is going through, my sincerest condolences go out to her.

His child will never know his or her dad but I've no doubt that they will proudly listen to tales, told by so many people, of the man and footballer Ernie was.

no but imagine the day that he /she bumps into some latics fans on holiday or summat!!

wow.. thats a nice thought on such a bad week!

Ernie was a man who truly deserves the tag of "Latics Legend".In his 41 appearances for the club he put as much heart and soul into every game as anyone has and anyone will do in the future.His ability to beat players 6" taller than him was unrivaled and at a time when we were at our lowest ebb he put a smile back on the supporters faces.God bless you Ernie rest in peace.

Links to some tributes to Ernie.

Thurrock Gazette re Grays Athletic:

http://www.thurrockgazette.co.uk/sport/loc...ooksey_dies.php

The P.F.A.:

http://www.givemefootball.com/pfa.html

Boston Standard re Boston United for whom Ernie made his debut in a 0-6 defeat to Grimsby Town:

http://www.bostonstandard.co.uk/sport/Erni...2008.4253763.jp

Bromley F.C. (including donation to Treatment Fund):

http://bromleyfootballclub.co.uk/joomwebsi...&Itemid=109

Rochdale Observer:

http://www.rochdaleobserver.co.uk/news/s/1...ormer_dale_star

Former Oldham Athletic boss Iain Dowie, now manager at Queens Park Rangers, gave Ernie his first break in professional football when signing him from Crawley Town in 2003.

He said: "I feel there is a hole in my life now without that broad grin and infectious enthusiasm of the best player I have ever had the privilege to coach

well said dowie

I never met Ernie, however I always got the impression he was one of us. My admiration and the reason I will always remember him fondly were for many of the reasons already posted, but also for one particular instant when he did exactly what I wanted to do. Ernie was sub in a game where we were losing by a goal or two. I don't recall who we were playing but the opposition had started to take the ball into the corner and as this is something I detest even when we do it, I started to feel a tad frustrated. Enter Ernie. Within seconds of his introduction the ball was again being shielded in the corner, this time right underneath me in the corner of the Main Stand and the RRE. Ernie raced 20 yards or so and clattered through about 5 players (3 of theirs and 2 of ours) and sent the lot flying. It was an absolute joy to behold and told me that he was just as frustrated as I was, but he was in a position to do something about it. Ernie stood up, looked at the ref, shrugged and held his arms out, the picture of innocence, while myself and those around me cheered him. Somehow he only got booked. Latics lost but I went home with something I will always remember. A player who was bothered - a joy to behold and worth his weight in gold. There are many players who played a lot more games for Latics who will never be remembered like Ernie will.

Awesome, that JJT! You've just reminded me of the incident and now I remember it well (but not well enough to remember the opposition). The shrug wasn't a 'what do you mean ref, I went for the ball' type shrug, it was a 'come on ref, they're pishing about, what am I supposed to do' shrug.

Truely privileged to have watched the guy.

E4e

ERNIE

Awesome, that JJT! You've just reminded me of the incident and now I remember it well (but not well enough to remember the opposition). The shrug wasn't a 'what do you mean ref, I went for the ball' type shrug, it was a 'come on ref, they're pishing about, what am I supposed to do' shrug.

Truely privileged to have watched the guy.

E4e

ERNIE

reading that quoted post has brought goose bumps...

awesome!

i bet the ref had a bit of a smile as he walked away too....

I remember playing at the golf with Erns and Mark Hudson a few years ago, one of the best laughs I have ever had.

There has been a hole left in the world with Ernies passing.

You are now out of pain and distress big fella may your spirit live on in your child.

Luke

I remember playing at the golf with Erns and Mark Hudson a few years ago, one of the best laughs I have ever had.

There has been a hole left in the world with Ernies passing.

You are now out of pain and distress big fella may your spirit live on in your child.

Luke

R.I.P. very sad, heard while on holiday. i am proud to say i was one of the 1500 who turned up for his testimonial. keep smiling up there ernie.