Name your price offer for Smalley

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

According to the Sunday People Sheffield United have asked Latics to name thiere price for Dean Smalley.

Any suggestions ?

"Blackwell eyes Small signature

Sheffield United boss Kevin Blackwell has made a surprise enquiry for Oldham's talented young striker Deane Smalley.

Blackwell wants to bring an up-and-coming attacker into his squad and has asked the Latics to name their price.

Smalley came through the highly-rated Oldham youth ranks and could be sold to help give boss John Sheridan cash for signings."

Sell him quick... I have really never seen that talent that Shez has seen, I don't doubt thast it is there lurking but he keeps it well hidden. Now if was a "name your price for Alessandra" I woud say keep him.

I've watched Smalley come up through the ranks and always been impressed by the lad and had and still have high hopes for him. These next couple of seasons I believe will see him improve at the same rate I've witnessed down the years. I certainly see the potential and talent he has that Shez see's. Given we are OAFC and our place currently in the money stakes, I'd start at no less than 350K with major add on's in big %. Afterall we are talking about a young lad with near on a full season of experience in a top half league one side.

Edited by Lags

".... and has asked the Latics to name their price."

£3m :grin:

Was involved in a long-ish debate on these forums a while back about the potential of Deano. I am definitely in the 'to be convinved' camp and anything in 6 figures would have to be a good bit of business in my mind.

I don't think you should ever be letting a "potential" young player move to a higher division for less than £200k. Seems to be another of our youth products who other sides coaches and talent spotters see more in than many of our fans are able to...

I would say to Sheff U...' Make us an offer ' and see where we go from there, if they want him that badly they might just make us a silly offer.

If it ain't enough then tough and he stays here. Thing is I don't think we would miss him that much with the midfield players Shez has brought in this season.

How about a cheeky swap for cash plus Chris Armstrong...just the type of left sided player we're after!

This is another reason why we should offer Philliskirk a kings ransom when his contract nears it's end...I can't remember such a consistently rich vein of talent roll off the production line in all my time supporting this club.

Screw that.

This time next year we'll be able to ask for at least twice as much. Cracking player Smalley. Would be stupid to let him go for anything less than £500,000 plus 20 per cent add on which we wouldn't get.

:shock:

Bit cheerful there Mike?!? Did you get your leg over last night? :wink:

Screw that.

This time next year we'll be able to ask for at least twice as much. Cracking player Smalley. Would be stupid to let him go for anything less than £500,000 plus 20 per cent add on which we wouldn't get.

I know some people on here rate him highly and I can understand why to a point but I think my suggested offer was fair.

He has potential and a talent at this level, but a footballing brain he has not.

He needs to be told what to do every two seconds and for his age and experience he's lacking in that department and just shows how much work he needs.

This would be a massive gamble for Sheff Utd and my offer reflects that, got to be realistic guys. I would sell to purely balance the books and hold on to players like Eardley a bit longer.

Edited by KYLEOAFC

He certainly has improved late on in the season. Looks more threatening down the wing. Was the only player at Luton away that gave a ****. Wouldn't want to get rid of him but if it means we keep Taylor and Eardley then he'll have to go. £250k plus the £200k+ we spent on Beckett to come on loan!

For me Smalley is the best youngster what we have produced in recent times apart from Alsessandra, who I beleive one day will make us a fortune.

The major problem Smalley has at the minute, is he doesn't know how good he actually is, as a Winger I would back him time after time to produce "more end product" than Taylor.

Definatley wouldn't be selling unless it was a stupid offer and in my opinion that would mean anything over 400k, with players like Smalley if he goes on to have a good start to next season his value will increase, and we would look like mugs for selling.

I still reckon he will end up playing in the middle, he would be a real threat breaking from the midfield and running at defenders, or arriving late to get on the end of balls in. We're told he was very effctive for the stiffs/youths playing as a withdrawn striker behind Lewis, I think maybe a bit further back would be ideal for him.

as much as i'd always ignore what a red-top would say to fill it's pages on a sunday, i'll have a go at this one...

for me he's one for the future... i always thought that about chris hall and well enough said about that the better, so i could be wrong!

IMHO the thing with smalley is he seems to play better with one of his peers close by...ie when we played carlisle at home and allesandra played up front, smalley seemed to get that vote of confidence / encouragement and they both played a blinder..

that said .... could we afford that in out team? me thinks as much as he knows his buddy, i don't think it would take him long to get that same vote from the older pro's...so on that i would want to keep him....

not sure of his upbringing... but he's a latic through and through yeah? maybe not as much as taylor but i think that the lad is well committed enough to try his hardest every week...

yeah...sell at the right price...and only the right price...

i think he's got a 20% sell on in him at least! and now a 1/4 million with appearance related bonus is the bare minimum i would want...

but, in a nutshell i'll revert to my highlighted bit at the top....

As someone else has said, i'd tell them to make an offer and we'll see from there. Got to be above £500k fro me, if you look at how much other teams seem to get for youngsters who are probably far less talented than Deano. You just have to look at teh game against Carlisle to see what potential he has, not to mention he hardly looked out of his depth in the Everton game. I think he has the potential to be a massive player for us.