Which Players Have You Met & Who Did You Most/Least Like ?

I saw Ronnie Moore and his assistant (cant remem his name...) in changing room at JJB. I asked if i got a needle and thread, would they sign my (latics) towel. Both looked at me like i was speaking chinese. Ignorant bar stewards.......

Better tale, not actually me, but my mates Daz and Dobber. They were out in Manc one friday night and saw Big Joe and Big Ron stood outside a hotel. This is back when Racist Ron was Villa manager. Daz was eccstatic, apparently running up, expressing his undying love for the club and shaking both their hands. Dobber then walks up, and not being a football fan, shakes both hands and says 'I dont know you but any mate of Daz's is a mate of mine'. Daz looked at him in horror and the two Bigs burst out laughing! Couple of days later Earl Barret was sold to Villa...... Classic. Gotta love Dobber!

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Im glad people are saying Nicky Banger is a cock. Once when I was a child we went to one of those "photograph with player" sessions in town (think it was for Andy Barlows testimonial). The players who were there were Richard Graham and Banger. As I got to the front of the queue I requested that Nicky Banger wasnt on my photo because, as I put it, he was rubbish. The worst thing was that the Chron photographer was there taking pictures for the paper, and he asked if he could have a picture of Andy Barlow taking a picture of me with Graham and Banger. They only went and bloody published it, so i ended up in the Chron with Nicky Banger...gutted!

Dougie Hodgson, Toddy Orlygsson - they'd always share a beer with you. Yeah, Matty Tipon was okay, when I spoke to him he was always happy to talk. As does Philiskirk come to think of it.

Adrian Littlejohn wasn't a very nice bloke in my opinion, he probably didn't like me either...

Guest oa_exile

Spoke to a few over the years.

I will give my answer on the most recent

Most : Stefan Stam , decent lad :)

Least : John Sheridan , Mr Personality :lol:

some of mine....

saw Carlo, tony carrs and then one size (with his whole family in tow!) at the trafford centre once all within an hour or two of each other.. Carlo and his mrs sat next to us in starbucks ..TC was waiting outside a shoe shop whilst our other 1/2's were inside said shop... and Fitz's mum being chuffed to bits to have her son spotted whilst she was with him!! bless...

saw him with wayno a few months on too... equally decent bloke!!

was chatting to mini shez outside the ground one afternoon... got talking about me travelling up from sale for some cup tickets and they running out (or summat like that!) he lives/ed not too far away and offered me his allocation.. top bloke!

was wandering through st anne's sq last week and spotted john thompson... we walked through some shops onto deansgate and i mentioned to the mrs that he played for oldham! she said to say hello but i couldn't remember his first name! i said that i thought it was 'john' but that was too obvious ie comedian called the same!! so left it, and text my mate when i got into the pub.. i was right, and that was him name!! oh well.. thought nothing of it until last sat'days match at BP when i saw him warming up and was telling the lovely Sarah the same story!! looking in the programme at the same time.. we then noticed number 15 to be in fact kev maher!!!!! am i glad i never said owt!! " ow do thommo!!" lol

roger 'the dodger' has gotten on my tram before now too!!

saw mike milligan in sainsbury's car park a couple of years ago! went flying over, tapped on his car window, and then (as you do when you 'know' someone!) opened said car door!! he flipped as i now believe he thought he was getting car jacked or summat!! soon cooled him down and we had a decent natter! decent bloke who had a lot of time to chat whilst our respective wives were tutting away to themselves!!!

got my strike it lucky ticket drawn by his 'oppo' nick henry!! even better as the prize was a full days training with the team!

met paul gerrard in xsanadu's (??) after the 'great escape' bought a few drinks and was happy to chat about all things latics, even my RAF mate who is a red was suitably impressed!

can't really remember any miserable one's though...well not our players!!

was having a meal in sale a few years back when keane came and sat down next to us (all on his own and we were in a corner away from other people!!)

my dad wet himself (although a ST holder for years at BP, he's a red at heart!!) and started chatting to him.. seemed ok for a few minutes until he asked him for his autograph and the misery walked off!! must say it was pa's birthday too!!

a few weeks later, man ure were flying out to Malaysia and i was the pushback driver for that flight!

so went onto the airbridge to get some autograph's for the owd fella!

fergie was cool about it, even veron, horse face and loads of others! beckham came down mobbed by airline staff.. made THEM wait and hold his bag whilst he signed the book for me.. top bloke!!

spoke to scholes (made sure to tell him they weren't for me as my allegiance lay elsewhere!) and had a few minutes with cole, butt (his cousin worked with us!) and a few others, in fact they were almost Q'ing to sign with the miserable irish man at the back!

when it was his turn i politely informed him that it was ok as i didn't want his autograph as he didn't seem to bothered a few weeks earlier... now then it got real 'scarey'.. i actually saw a real nasty look in his eyes and thought i was gonna get chinned or summat... he stormed off onto the plane and within secs (i'd already been there about 20 mins or so!) the head body from the airline appeared (think these cheesy programmes on tv and imagine bucket loads of attitude!) and ordered me away from the aircraft at once.. adding that if she saw me anywhere near the plane before it took off she would have my pass removed (how? i could only guess!)

i tried to say that it would be a bit difficult, to which she interrupted me as a copper appeared.. he asked what i was doing..told him the above and he just said that i'd better go..

i went below and stood near my tug!

madam came flying out and demanded that i move away from the aircraft ... so i walked away and giggled as my mate asked her if she could drive the tug!!!!

her face was a picture as i returned a few minutes later!!

yep.... it's days like that that make me proud to be a latics fan!

Always got the impression that Tipton's 'Psycho' mode on the pitch was a put-on.

Had a lengthy conversation (wen I could get a word in) with an inebriated Matty Tipton in Quids Inn in the Isle of Man. He was in 'Psycho' mode animatedly telling me repeatedly how the gaffer would not believe him that he was the best striker at the Club.

Played bar football with an inebriated Craig Dudley in the Isle of Man - really nice bloke, but crap at bar football. :grin:

I saw Ronnie Moore and his assistant (cant remem his name...) in changing room at JJB. I asked if i got a needle and thread, would they sign my (latics) towel. Both looked at me like i was speaking chinese. Ignorant bar stewards.......

Better tale, not actually me, but my mates Daz and Dobber. They were out in Manc one friday night and saw Big Joe and Big Ron stood outside a hotel. This is back when Racist Ron was Villa manager. Daz was eccstatic, apparently running up, expressing his undying love for the club and shaking both their hands. Dobber then walks up, and not being a football fan, shakes both hands and says 'I dont know you but any mate of Daz's is a mate of mine'. Daz looked at him in horror and the two Bigs burst out laughing! Couple of days later Earl Barret was sold to Villa...... Classic. Gotta love Dobber!

Well, if none-Latics related things that you didn't see yourself count, a mate of mine had a piss beside Terry Venables in Waterloo station once.

The answer is, "short, brown and wrinkly."

And don't say you wouldn't have looked, because you would have.

Got to know Mark Innes a few years back. Still says hello when I see him out and about, decent bloke. David Beresford was sound too. Of the squad now, only really see Taylor out.

Banger was a tanned mug always "too busy right now" to sign autographs. Used that line every time. Me and my young mates came to the conclusion he just couldn't write.

Mate spotted Junior Agogo earlier in the summer at the motorway services and after a brief chat Agogo asked to join him at his table. Sounded like a really down to earth chap.

Non Latics hated is Jermain Defoe, League cup warming up as sub wouldn't sign Autographs. Quite a few good ones, Paul Robinson sticks out, same night stopped warming up Spurs keeper to come over and sign.

Latics dis-like (can't say hate, not for Latics) Andy Rhodes could be funny but fullofhimselfcockend.

Best Stefan Stam.

i have met lots of players latics and no latics, i used to go clubbing with andy goram in heywood and bury , he was a great laugh like his drink too , i also once played football with duncan mckenzie he lived near me in bury (xleeds utd ) before i was attacked by there scum ,i used to go to latics with ian wood and david holt (r.i.p) as they lived in bury too , i went out with meals with gary hoolikin and steve edwards both good lads , and i was invited to dinner at jimmy frizzels house , his wife was a good cook , while living in oldham i joined slim jims gym in lees (i need that now ) and did workouts with latics players and bobby ball , , and once had dinner with colin bell in whitefield

one story was big joe i had pushing match with joe outside latics after i found out that, that the red sum martin buccan got 25k for signing on at latics , and i told the players who went to joe office asking for more money ,he asked who told them about the money that buccan got and they said "bob"" he was angry at me and wanted to know how i knew :lipsrsealed2: but joe said sorry to me afterwards .

one sad story is i met bill taylor and became a friend of his , he got me tickets for england match's home and away , in norway 81 i stayed at the same hotel as the england team and met all the players thanks to bill taylor , sadly he died in 82 of a brain tumour (r.ip)

....while living in israel and working at the airport i have met lots of players rio ferdinand he was over in the summer for his hols , met dave sexton great person and talking for ages with him , alan sherar (spelt wrong) paul gassgoine was a great laugh, craig bellamy , yossi benayon and ayel berkovich (while at city he lived near my mum in whitefield ) he brought me some things from my mum .. met lots of others but thats another time ..

Edited by boboafc

....while living in israel and working at the airport i have met lots of players

working at an airport really helps eh bob???

one of our lads used to have a book with him all the time, and at the end of the year his lads footy team used to raffle it off for a few quid! i remember one year beckham had signed it at least three times!!!! mind you it helped living next door to the dutch goalie at man ure!( the number 2 ! can't remember his name...anyone????)

During my various trips to the I.O.M and other opportunistic occasions I've met many players. Believe it or not (and at the risk of being controversial) Adrian Littlejohn was a decent down to earth guy, not at all like the cock he was on the pitch. Eric Nixon(who I jokingly asked if he could be kind enough to have one 'mare against us before he retired as he was always superb against us! Barry Horne and David Phillips were good to talk to as well and Joey Jones was a true gentleman. Shez always has time for a chat and Dux and Tommy Wright are true gents too. On the flip side Doug Hodgson was your stereotypical brainless Aussie, Ian Rush was a complete cock and Sean McCarthy was 'big-time' too. I know many see him as the anti-christ but I always found Ronnie Moore to be a thoroughly decent bloke with time for those that showed him courtesy. I had a brief chat with Mark Lawrenson in Majorca some years back and I couldn't get over how young his missus was or how tall he is close up! He was a friendly guy too.

Many of us have had an all too 'brief' encounter with Neal Eardley this weekend............

Oh nearly forgot, Scholesy was a true gent.

Edited by oafcprozac

I've already posted, but have just remembered another encounter "Glen Keeley!!" I had taken a team over from Oldham, playing in the Greater Mancs youth games and our first game was against an outfit from Blackburn - As coaches we introduced each other and i remembered him. I happened to mention to him that he wasn't very successful when he played for us after playing so well against us for basta/ sorry... blackburn rovers over the years - His response "i hated every minute there - worst move in my career" :D The feeling was mutual Glenn :lol: What a big chap though!!

Not met any latics players sadly but i did live in Huddersfield for a couple of years with my partner (now ex) lovingly known as The Bradford Bitch who worked with Peter Jacksons missus (nurses), I got to know him quite well and went out a few times around Bradford with Iffy Onuora and Iwan Roberts. Iffy was a great lad with no airs and graces as was Jacko but Iwan Roberts ....what a miserable bas**** he was.

What a life these footie players have i was amazed at how many women recognised them and how easy it was to pull.

Hope my new missus aint reading this!

Well, if none-Latics related things that you didn't see yourself count, a mate of mine had a piss beside Terry Venables in Waterloo station once.

I had a piss next to Don Revie in a hotel where the England squad was staying, but I only looked at his face. :blush:

when i was younger , first time i went in the players lounge after a game ( my dad was best mates with one of the former directors) i was offered a bit of a tour, so i was taken in to the changing rooms, where i met roger palmer and a very naked willie donachie (spelling) and the old kit manager (ronnie evans i think? also naked, dont know why, he didnt play)

very nice to meet them all, but a bit too naked for my liking......... wouldnt be allowed these days.

p.s jon hallworth went out with my cousin for a while.............he was a prick. my mates will get a kick out of that if they read it.

joe royle came to my mums 40th birthday do, great bloke and good mates with my dad, hi son lee is a top bloke aswell. refused to talk to his dad for a month when he left latics for everton.

I can confirm that Jon Hallworth was, and maybe still is, a prick

Yes,we know what he looks like,but,did you catch sight of his old man?

Nick Henry was a down to earh lad,lodged in Royton when he first signed on and became good Mates with a lot of Royton Lads.

Nicky Banger was fined for hitting my mates Pregnant wifes Car side on when he was speeding,luckily Mum and Baby Ok in the long run,didnt endear himself to us at the time,plus the fact he was a poor to average player didnt help.

I used to live across the street from Andy Rhodes when I was a wee lad. He'd regularly join me and my mate for a kickabout and once or twice Rick Holden and Stitch came along. Was like a young latics supporters dream come true! I was a keeper and stitch headed a ricky cross at me - although he obviously took something off it, I remember thinking that it was like a bullet! Great days! They were all brilliant blokes!

I also remember Andy Rhodes first introducing Rick Holden to me and me not recognising him cos he used to dress like a cowboy! ha ha!

Joe - very nice bloke. Met him at Mossley and on the boat going to the Isle of Man. He was the one who actually came over and started to chat. Really nice bloke. Same trip - Irwin and Cecere, also very nice lads.

Most ignorant - Moore, no, not him, the centre-back. Alcohol has fired my brain, so I can't remember him first name. Met him at Piccadilly when going to Palace - arrogant.