Which Players Have You Met & Who Did You Most/Least Like ?

I have had "Brief encounters" with Keith Hicks, John Platt, Andy Ritchie, Andy Barlow, Earl Barrett, Gunnar Halle, Craig Fleming and Lee Duxbury.

I found all really pleasant and willing to share some time.

Less keen on the surly Darren Beckford and the "I am gorgeous Nicky Banger"

So which players have you met and who has left the most/least impression ?

Did anyone ever meet our 70's stars; Young, Garwood, Stainrod, Chapman, Whittle, McVitie, Wyde etc. etc.

Very interested ?

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How

I have had "Brief encounters" with Keith Hicks, John Platt, Andy Ritchie, Andy Barlow, Earl Barrett, Gunnar Halle, Craig Fleming and Lee Duxbury.

I found all really pleasant and willing to share some time.

Less keen on the surly Darren Beckford and the "I am gorgeous Nicky Banger"

So which players have you met and who has left the most/least impression ?

Did anyone ever meet our 70's stars; Young, Garwood, Stainrod, Chapman, Whittle, McVitie, Wyde etc. etc.

Very interested ?

I met, and in fact idirectly worked for Steve Taylor.

Lost it for me, when he smoked in the bar, but worst of all he said I'm off to work now to his wife. He was going training. Mind you, he was playing for Dale, maybe I should have been more forgiving! He ruined the hotel and sold it to become an Old People's Home.

I still can't understand a footballer going training thinking he is going to work.

I gor Fitz Hall to sign my bucket collectors T shirt on that day, not been washed since. One day, one day.

Most liked (although gone down in my estimations since saying he'd be at the Masters, then let us down for MUTV)...Denis Irwin. Was after the survival game in the Farrars...he had his kids there and was happy to chat to anyone. I was later also told how Wolves hadn't wanted him to play over the summer (and in that game) and that they wouldn't offer him a contract if he did (insurance purposes). He said tough, he was playing and risked not getting one. In the end, Wolves backed down.

Least liked...John Sheridan ironically. Met him in the players lounge before we played Sjoke on a Tuesday night...he'd been "rested" and was utterly miserable and quite ignorant towards anyone who tried to speak with him. Never held it against him like, but always stuck out in the memory.

when i was younger , first time i went in the players lounge after a game ( my dad was best mates with one of the former directors) i was offered a bit of a tour, so i was taken in to the changing rooms, where i met roger palmer and a very naked willie donachie (spelling) and the old kit manager (ronnie evans i think? also naked, dont know why, he didnt play)

very nice to meet them all, but a bit too naked for my liking......... wouldnt be allowed these days.

p.s jon hallworth went out with my cousin for a while.............he was a prick. my mates will get a kick out of that if they read it.

joe royle came to my mums 40th birthday do, great bloke and good mates with my dad, hi son lee is a top bloke aswell. refused to talk to his dad for a month when he left latics for everton.

Edited by palmer1

I've met so many Latics players over the years that I couldn't mention them all here! Two of my mum's best friends are married to Latics legends so I met loads of them in the early '70's. I thought they were all brilliant and it made me popular with my mates, especially when one of the aforementioned "legends" used to come to our house.

A personal highlight however, was meeting Rodger Wylde, Paul Atkinson, Bill Urmson and A.N. Other in Picadilly Circus, London. I'd travelled down for a mid-week match at QPR and to give my band's demo tape to John Peel. I was on my way to Broadcasting House when I bumped into the four of them. I don't know who was more surprised, them or me! We chatted for a few minutes (I remember asking if Roger Palmer would be playing because he'd been out injured - he wouldn't be) and then Rodger Wylde promised to leave me a couple of tickets at the ticket office. I thanked him, wished them luck and bade them farewell.

An hour or so later I was chatting with John Peel and he was being most dismissive of QPR's brand new plastic pitch - "You might as well play the game on marshmallow!!" - and said he was dreading Liverpool getting drawn against them in the cup. I handed him my demo tape, a Festive Fifty entry (it was November) and a request to read out for "Oldham fans everywhere and especially those who'd made the trip to Shepherd's Bush".

When I got to the ground, Rodger had been true to his word and my tickets were waiting for me. I watched the match from the stand. We drew 0-0 (the first team to prevent The R's from scoring on their new surface) and I thouroughly enjoyed the game.

I made my way back to my grotty b&b and listened to Peel. A fantastic day.

When i was a kid Latics ran a christmas trip. We got on a plane at manchester airport and flew around for an hour or so. It was pretty pathetic to be honest. All the kids got a christmas gift and the plane had a red nose and antlers. Anyway, Darren Beckford was representing the team, and was on the flight. He brought his young lad along. I dont think he spoke to one fan and seemed very moody

Did anyone else go on this trip?! One of Alan Hardy's ideas me thinks.

Ernie Cooksey at a petrol station on the way back from Grimsby after the 3-3 draw where he scored that screamer a few years ago. He was chatting to all the tics in the queue whilst waiting to pay. He was made up with his goal.

Such a humble fella. It's all been said a million times already, but what a thoroughly nice guy.

In terms of footballers,

Most Liked

Iain Dowie - When he was still number 2 here to Wadsworth, I was on the treadmill next to him at JJB Gym. Had a good chat with him.

Stitch/Royle/Shez/Allott - Always had time for me when have said hello.

Most Disliked

Andy Townsend - Remember playing villa in a pre season friendly, didnt sign any autographs. Utter prick

I've met so many Latics players over the years that I couldn't mention them all here! Two of my mum's best friends are married to Latics legends so I met loads of them in the early '70's. I thought they were all brilliant and it made me popular with my mates, especially when one of the aforementioned "legends" used to come to our house.

A personal highlight however, was meeting Rodger Wylde, Paul Atkinson, Bill Urmson and A.N. Other in Picadilly Circus, London. I'd travelled down for a mid-week match at QPR and to give my band's demo tape to John Peel. I was on my way to Broadcasting House when I bumped into the four of them. I don't know who was more surprised, them or me! We chatted for a few minutes (I remember asking if Roger Palmer would be playing because he'd been out injured - he wouldn't be) and then Rodger Wylde promised to leave me a couple of tickets at the ticket office. I thanked him, wished them luck and bade them farewell.

An hour or so later I was chatting with John Peel and he was being most dismissive of QPR's brand new plastic pitch - "You might as well play the game on marshmallow!!" - and said he was dreading Liverpool getting drawn against them in the cup. I handed him my demo tape, a Festive Fifty entry (it was November) and a request to read out for "Oldham fans everywhere and especially those who'd made the trip to Shepherd's Bush".

When I got to the ground, Rodger had been true to his word and my tickets were waiting for me. I watched the match from the stand. We drew 0-0 (the first team to prevent The R's from scoring on their new surface) and I thouroughly enjoyed the game.

I made my way back to my grotty b&b and listened to Peel. A fantastic day.

Bloody hell! You don't get a much more perfect day than that, bar coming on and scoring the winner

p.s jon hallworth went out with my cousin for a while.............he was a prick. my mates will get a kick out of that if they read it.

A number of years ago I went to see the Spin Doctors at the Academy in Manchester. As I came out I saw a mate I used to play football with, he was with a woman and Andy Ritchie (praise be to him). I had a quick chat with my mate and Andy and they mentioned they were waiting for Jon before heading into Manchester. A minute later out walked Jon Hallworth (2 for the price of 1 I thought). I ended up giving them a lift into town; Hallworth sat there moaning and being miserable whilst Ritchie was chatting away and complementing me on the album I had on in the car, In Utero by Nirvana. I met Stitch at a wine tasting evening in Royton a few years later and he remembered me, after a bit of prompting, and we had another good chat. True gent.

A number of years ago I went to see the Spin Doctors at the Academy in Manchester. As I came out I saw a mate I used to play football with, he was with a woman and Andy Ritchie (praise be to him). I had a quick chat with my mate and Andy and they mentioned they were waiting for Jon before heading into Manchester. A minute later out walked Jon Hallworth (2 for the price of 1 I thought). I ended up giving them a lift into town; Hallworth sat there moaning and being miserable whilst Ritchie was chatting away and complementing me on the album I had on in the car, In Utero by Nirvana. I met Stitch at a wine tasting evening in Royton a few years later and he remembered me, after a bit of prompting, and we had another good chat. True gent.

When I was 12 I went with my dad to get my new shirt for the start of the First Division season. As we walked out of Latique (why did that name ever get changed?) Earl Barrett came walking down Sheepfoot Lane. I ran up with a pen and asked him for an autograph. He was happy to oblige, only the pen didn't work. "Wait there, mate," he said. He then legged it up to his car, got a pen out, came back and signed for me. A legend.

I always thought the most obnoxious Latics players were the absolute journeymen we had here in the late 90s. It was like they hated playing for us. I don't know about anyone else but to me in those days it was quite clear the fans and players had very little respect for eachother. I can remember Starbuck giving the fans grief at possibly the worst away game I've ever been to, a 2-0 defeat at Springfield Park. The fans were singing 'We're :censored:, and we're sick of it' pretty much all game. We scored (think it might have been Jepson) and the players were kind of going 'Have that' to the fans. When it got disallowed there was almost relief in certain quarters. Awful times.

I once sat alongside Latics legend Alan Groves in the then Littlewoods cafe in Oldham before a home match.

Undeterred, he chatted away to me as he munched through his big breakfast fry up - and later went on that afternoon to play a blinder.

I met many big names when I was scouting, but was most impressed by Brian Clough, who made me feel really at home.

Jimmy Sirrel is a great down to earth guy, same with Ian Storey Moore.

I do get annoyed though at players waving away children who want an autograph, there is no excuse for ignorance.

I met the legend that was Mike Cecere (well he was in my eyes) outside the phone box at the bottom of Sheepfoot Lane, he hadn't got 10p to make a phone call to come and get picked up from training, so I gave him the money to make the call! Perhaps a reflection of how players salaries have changed over the years!!!! Anyway, as I'd done this for him, he ran up to the club shop and returned with a signed photo of himself. I still have it.

Those Milnrow Latics amongst us in who lived on the Silver Hill Estate, in particular Mr. Wilson and Rick, will be able to tell you about how Simon Stainrod use to come out and have a kick around with us on the field at the top of Yeomans Close. One day after being out for hours playing football there, my Dad came to bollock me for not turning up for my tea, the look on his face as he saw me there playing football with Stainrod was a picture. I never did get that bollocking....................

Met quite a few in my time....

Andy Barlow, Ian Marshall, Roger Palmer, Mike Milligan, Richard Jobson, Gunnar Halle, Lee Hughes, Taylor, Killer, John Hallworth, John and Darren Sherridan, poggs, Clyde, John Eyre, Frankie Bunn... to name but a few all relatively 89 onwards... The players i enjoyed meeting the most were Gunnar Halle, Lee Hughes and Roger Palmer

Gunnar saw in the town square and it was my mam who initiated the conversation as she was a big fan of his.. he was with his mrs and a little un in a pram didnt mind being stopped and harrased by an over enthusiastic woman gave us autograph pictures and had all the time in the world for us and was genuine nice bloke!

Roger always wondering round sale spoke to him a few time nice fella, just the fact he is a ledge why he is my fave to have met.

Hughesy seen him in manchester and just had all the time in the world to talk footie seemed really pleased that someone had recognised him and greated him with positive comments his very good looking lady friend also took a picture of us on my phone!

Probably the worst iv met is Ian Marshall think i may have cought him on a bad day bit of a big headed git!

I met Andy Ritchie & Andy Barlow at the Hare & Hounds in Middleton one night, there again that was a planned visit for them, still nice blokes though. I used to work for a fruit & veg shop in Middleton, we'd get Gary Hoolichan dropping in every other week. I then worked for our Sale branch and had Roger Palmer as a regular - top bloke, always had time to chat to us. I met John Keeley at the ground, said hello to me, I didnt realise who he was at the time. I also worked out at Nevada Bob's golf shop for a while and that always had players dropping in, one morning Rick Holden was in(City player then), but I spoke to him for a while. Ryan Giggs was also in and I actually thought he was a shoplifter at the time!! but a nice bloke who spent a load of cash on some clubs that I now realise were absolute crap, sorry Ryan!.

I know David May from his days at Blackburn and Man U, he got me tickets for Blackburn v Oldham and even got the Latics teams to sign my Wembley program, which I was well chuffed about at the time. I never saw him play for Man U, I would never go, but my sister took my younger brother to a few games at Old Trafford, had his pictures took with Cantona, Scmheicel etc. Though there was one player that Dave told my sister never to ask anything for and that was Roy Keane.

Edited by 3 Lions

Most liked (although gone down in my estimations since saying he'd be at the Masters, then let us down for MUTV)...Denis Irwin. Was after the survival game in the Farrars...he had his kids there and was happy to chat to anyone. I was later also told how Wolves hadn't wanted him to play over the summer (and in that game) and that they wouldn't offer him a contract if he did (insurance purposes). He said tough, he was playing and risked not getting one. In the end, Wolves backed down.

Least liked...John Sheridan ironically. Met him in the players lounge before we played Sjoke on a Tuesday night...he'd been "rested" and was utterly miserable and quite ignorant towards anyone who tried to speak with him. Never held it against him like, but always stuck out in the memory.

my mrs grew up with shez in hulme/ old trafford, she cant stand him either,i worked in hotel in m/cr met a lot of footballers niel webb was full of himself but average player,david james nice bloke always good to talk to.

Steve Cherry punched me once playing for Plymouth in early 80s when i was a ballboy at BP :D

Met many of the players over time in "various" situations, best though Sir "Ron Futcher!" :lol:

Became good friends with Richard Graham and Dougie Hodgson, extremely nice people in diferent ways but easy to say they were not the sharpest tools in the box, know Andy Ritchie quite well and still think he's one of the nicest people ever.

Still friends with Clyde Wijnhard who has some of the funnier stories.

Not a player I know but Colin W*nker, met him a few times and boy does he fit his name

I've been lucky i guess. I was mascot for the Xmas game against Tottenham in 91 or 92 (we won 2-1 and Olney scored a last minute winner). So I met all the squad and most were great and really nice, met Gary Mabbut too and he was pleasant, especially as I was an opposition fan. My Dad has done a few favours for big Joe (and the club) so he knew who I was and had a few nice words to say to me. I also sat in the exec box (the one that's now shut) for a few years so met a few of the players then, including Richard Graham and Doug Hodgson (Hodgson was thick as pig :censored: but a decent bloke). I met John Hallworth coming out of Sainsbury's at Heaton Park a few months after I had been sat next to him for one of those junior latics games they used to do on their special nights and he was nice- he 'remembered' me for starters. Plus I once stayed in the same hotel as the Welsh team in the early 90s and met some of the players in the swimming pool/jacuzzi including Nichols (sp?) who played for Chelsea and remember having a chat to him because he was playing for the opposition (Chelsea) for my first ever league game where we got spanked 4-1.

Most of the time the players I've met have been really nice but there were a few exceptions, Graeme Sharp was arrogant and didn't have time for little old me, Darren Beckford and Nicky Banger were arrogant and were very rude to the staff working in the box giving it the big 'I am' which was ironic as I think they had both been recently dropped (hence why they were in the box). It seems that for those who's time at Oldham was the pinnacle of their career until that point are nice but those who are coming down or felt they were coming down from higher up were overly arrogant

When he was still playing I met John Platt several times and found him to be a great guy. I also have the autographs of lots of players from the 70s like Ian Wood, Maurice Whittle and David Shaw. They could always spare time for the kids back then.

On a negative note, I once met Paul Warhurst during a tour of the club and found him to be so far up himself and really ignorant. Made me feel like something his dog left on his shoe. Dont know why, he wasnt that great was he?