Anyone see?

ok your obviously upset by it and im guessing your kids are too.....and in one way yes you are right,he is a pro and should no better,if you feel so strongly write a letter to tranmere saying it spoilt your day and your childrens,and you dont expect that kind of behaviour from a footballer....tell them you would like a letter of apology and thats the end of it....

yes its your right to complain.....but have a long hard look at it in the morning before you decide.........lets be honest....if some bloke came upto you and the kids in asda car park and did it you would knock em out....

I dont have any kids, I think your mixing me up with an earlier post. What I was getting at is otid saying people were being immature and they need to look in the mirror. Im just pointing out that it isnt immature as some people are obviously offended by what he has done. Im not bothered if people do or dont write a letter to Tranmere tbh I couldnt care less. I was just pointing out its not immature to be offended by his actions

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I was sat right in front of the 'incident' and there were kids as young as 7 or 8 giving the 'V's' (and more) all through the game.

They probably see and hear worse in the playground.

I initially thought the player had done it coz he misheard the ''hoof'' chant and thought we were saying something racist i.e. without the h and the f!!

Then again what do I know? :huh:

Edited by latics luvly

I was sat right in front of the 'incident' and there were kids as young as 7 or 8 giving the 'V's' (and more) all through the game.

They probably see and hear worse in the playground.

I initially thought the player had done it coz he misheard the ''hoof'' chant and thought we were saying something racist i.e. without the h and the f!!

And maybe one of our players explained it and he then clapped us at the end as a sort of apology?

Guest sheridans_world
you're an embarrassment to Oldham Athletic if you do either.

cringe.

Bad language is not allowed at football matches. From fans, players or officials. The fact it happens is by-the-by. IF this was Christiano Ronaldo and this had been caught on TV camera's it would be all over the news and be on the back pages of the papers. It would be an outrage, Ronaldo might be fined for bringing football into disrepute. Why should another player get away with it, just because he plays a few leagues below where the camera's are less often.

Personally, I'm annoyed the ref or liner didnt see it, he would have been booked at least for foul and abusive language. (Be it a symbol or not).

FACT IS this is supposed to be a gentlemans game and there is no room for language like that especially from players.

If you are offended and weren't offensive back or offensive throughout the game then report it. If you were dishing it out yourself then report yourself as well. I wasn't offended, think it's good to get a reaction out of the opposition, shame he had to do that though.

I was walking back to my car after the game, the Tranmere fans were all singing "Same old Oldham, always cheating" - how did we cheat today?

Another Tranny muttered "Cheating Munich Bastards" as we walked past. :lol:

"Cheating Munich Bastards"? Seriously? Not the sharpest tools in the shed are they....Apparently on local radio in Liverpool they said we were rolling around all over the pitch,which is a bit rich.

But back to the point...Players can't gesture at the crowd,end of story. They're getting paid enough money to take abuse from the crowd in their stride (and obviously i'm not talking about genuinely offensive/racist abuse,we were quite rightly pointing out that they were playing like sh*te),and if he reacts like that every time away fans get on his back he's in the wrong job.And if you're going to use the argument "well the crowd were using bad language then you can't complain about players doing it" then by the same logic you can't complain about players going for a pie and a beer at half time.

all these fans that are saying dont report it its embarressing are the same type of fan who went mad when phil starbuck did it to his own fans.

he is a proffesional and if he did then he deserves to be reported , no matter how much :censored: he got from oldham fans.

i dont care what sort of grief he got , he should be charged and banned.

i was not there and im going off whats been said on here, but if he did , then fine him.

if ronnie moore did it, you would all be up for the death penalty

(spelling im drunk)

The saddest thing on here is not the flicking the V's, but the fact it has become acceptable for players to flick the V's.

Probably sums up what is wrong with this country. The slow creep anti social behaviour.

I am not offended by it, when I take my son to a football match I accept I will have to explain a few things the fans say, but a player doing it? Still wrong. I would not expect him to be hung drawn and quartered, but some things overstep the mark a bit.

Gve him an ASBO!

I have had to teach my son different words to one or two songs chanted at BP.

He is allowed to sing "Ronnie Moore, we don't like you, we don't like you" but not to sing the words several hundred others use instead of 'we don't like you'.

He remains blissfully unaware of the meaning of the w* word replaced (says Dad assuming playground talk isn't what it used to be!).

My gut in the circumstances discussed in the pot post would be to explain to him that the player is having a bad day at work and is swearing like Mummy or Daddy do occasionally.

I certainly wouldn't feel it necessary to involve the police or the FA. Kung-fu kick assault on a fan maybe. But not a passive gesture.

If I really did feel strongly enough about it, I would write to Tranmere Rovers.

But could they write back complaining about naughty words used in away fans chanting at times?

I was walking back to my car after the game, the Tranmere fans were all singing "Same old Oldham, always cheating" - how did we cheat today?

we had some tranmere fans shouting that to us as well so my 7 year old nephew gave them the v's :grin:

He didnt really know what it meant though he's just seen lots of people at the match doing it

If you take kids to football there going to hear a lot of swearing, he knows not swear outside of football (or at the football if his mum or grandma are there, they'd kill me if they knew i let him sing the songs with swearing in!)

I've got to say here, I always enjoy it when we get a rise outta the oppo. Come on who's feelings as he hurt. leave it be.

Billy Sharp became one of my favourites because he blew kisses at us in the 4-2 defeat at Scunny.

Is there anything better than getting a player wound up? Julian Dicks? Aidan Davidson? It's brilliant,

I can’t believe whats being discussed here???

Report a player for giving the V’s ???OMG how childish is that.

People, myself included moaned about the nanny state our clubs in and then you get saddo’s that want to write letters to AH and the football league over that? WTF.

If your kids saw that and you were upset and struggling to find a parenting tactic to explain the v's then how on earth did you explain “Ian moore, your dad is a :censored: and your mum is a whore???

Are you reporting all the latics fans for swearing too?

Its ridiculous!

You better be fishing because your making yourself look a complete Hypocrite.

Totally agree with Kyle - so a player gives the V's - so what?

Time the pc fans got real - as was said elsewhere enjoy the victory. :)

If anyone feels the need to complain about the Tranny player flicking the V's because you had kids there then so be it, you should complain. Equally you should complain about any Oldham fan, Oldham player and especially John Sheridan or else you are a hypocrite.

Alternatively, you could let this stupid thing go and celebrate the fact Oldham are top of the league.

P.s. If I have offended any French person whose family have been killed by English bowmen, then I sincerely apologise (Whilst flicking said V's ha ha)

Edited by jimsleftfoot

While you're writing your letter of complaint, please don't forget to mention that Shotton had been subjected to comments about his sexual preference, the marital status of his parents and his ability as a footballer. At one point he was also labelled 'Dirty black bastard' by a knob behind me (Who was suitably admonished by myself).

All this was immediately prior to Shotton sticking his arm out sideways and extending two fingers, which he then followed up with a smile - and then had the good grace to applaud the Latics fans at the end of the game.

I wish I was man enough to take that kind of provocation and deal with it so lightly - I'm afraid I'd be looking to put someone's lights out if it were me.

A moment of weakness in a charged atmosphere is all it was - my 6 year old daughter saw it and said "Aww! That's swearing", to which I replied "Not very nice is it?" she agreed, which gives me reassurance that whatever she learns in the playground, she still knows what is right and what is wrong.

Enjoy the win, take the cotton wool from round your kids <<puts tin hat on>>, and most of all - try to keep things in perspective.

If you feel the need to write to Alan Hardy, the behaviour and provocation from some of our own fans needs to be addressed more than anything.

Billy Sharp became one of my favourites because he blew kisses at us in the 4-2 defeat at Scunny.

Is there anything better than getting a player wound up? Julian Dicks? Aidan Davidson? It's brilliant,

Sure there are a million was you could do it and maybe the flicking of 'v''s isn't the best. However on the odd occasions you get a response from a pro (cos their hurting sooooooooooooo much inside) it's job done by us the fans. We've played our part and got to um. That's what it's all about, support your own to boost their game and jump on every negative the oppo do to bring their game down. I fear for John Sheridan if this sets a president.

What a top game to attend...beating the Trannies again for the 2nd season on the spin, a ground that used to be a nightmare, with the added spice of Ronnie Moore and his petulent son. Yep we even got into his head too given his blasting the ball at the lino! top top day.

I did wonder about that, it wasn't as if we had been giving it the full-blooded, "HOOF!" half as much as we have done the last few times so maybe it wasn't as obvious what we were doing. Storm in a tea cup anyway.

P.s. If I have offended any French person whose family have been killed by English bowmen, then I sincerely apologise (Whilst flicking said V's ha ha)

touche. difficulty explaining it to the kids? my lad actually said 'he must have lost his bow'. hes seven.

incidently he was singin that ian moores dad is a cracker and his mum is a bore lol. hes already asked 'whats a :censored:?' someone who plays with his willy too much instead of concentrating on what he should be doing. yesterday 'whats a whore?' a woman who never wears any clothes, but its a very bad word dont ever say it within earshot of an adult. quite simple really, he probably will go school tomorrow and tell his mates at playtime, but i believe he is sensible enough to cope with 'shocking' words or he wouldnt be at the football.

i envisage the time when i am approached by another kids parent because 'your nathan told my jimmy this word and he said it to his granma' or some similar incident, but its all part of my parenting strategy which has any teacher/ coach or whatever who deals with him reporting that hes a great kid. the over sanitisation of life and cotton wool childhoods do no good whatsoever.

still if you wish to live in naivety and believe 'ooh my jimmy would never do that' then who am i to tell you youre wrong? complain if you so wish, i suppose you must fill your time with something. instead of discussing things with your children and helping them form positive mindsets, just ignore it, pretend nothing ever happens ever, and write a letter about it.