Lee Hughes to Doncaster - for 400k

Even if we did get promoted, its not a given that he will definitely stay. We might be in a position to offer him a new 6k per week contract, but what’s to say your more established championship club with bigger crowds ect. Won’t take a chance and offer him 10k p/w?

and what if we did turn it down and we didn’t go up?

Its hard for us to say we'd rather turn the money down and have a crack at promotion, but it’s not our money were gambling with. TTA have had there fingers burnt once with Porter so I wouldn’t blame them if they did decide to 'cash in'.

• Replies 202
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Woah, hold on.

Just looked at the Donny forum and their wording (which we haven't had on here by the way) of the story from The Mirror is this:

HUGHES ON MOVE

Doncaster will snap up striker Lee hughes from Oldham for £400,000 when the window opens.

Can't find the story on The Mirror site so assume one of them typed it up (hence the lower case 'h' on his name).

Where's the official element of this story? Who said he's signed for them? No-one. It's just the way The Mirror writes its stories. Seems like the OP may be a tad guilty of sensationalism, making threads claiming things are more concrete than they are (as if anything that paper says is concrete anyway).

Plus, if I think Lee Hughes (convict scum according to the tabloids) was on the move for big money then The Mirror would have a little more to say about it than a sentence which doesn't even make it onto their website.

Plus, if I think Lee Hughes (convict scum according to the tabloids) was on the move for big money then The Mirror would have a little more to say about it than a sentence which doesn't even make it onto their website.

I don't think that aspect of the story has legs any more. There wasn't really all that much outrage when we signed him, they would look really vindictive trying to make something from it now.

Conflicted feelings about this and I would hate to be in TTA position at the moment. I'm guessing, like most, that some transfer income in January is likely to be needed for the club to balance the books.

Whether TTA had a business plan that included transfer income at this stage from the start or that the current financial situation and future uncertainty has changed there plans. Of it might be that we could cope without any - but will not turn down offers that are 'too good'.

I am sure that TTA know that selling off any of the key members of the first 11 at this stage will put our promotion ambitions at some risk, but they have the books to balance as well.

If I was TTA I would think the attitude and wishes of the player(s) involved would be a big factor. If, in this case, Hughes says "I really appreciate what the club and fans have done for me over the last 18 months, but this is perhaps a final opportunity to play at a higher level and I want to take it. Plus it could give you enough money to keep hold of the younger players for a bit longer". Well, I think I'd look at £400k and probably Byfield - and say OK.

Byfield could and has done it before; £400k on a player that could leave for nowt in June; £400k for a player that has shown he is a little injury prone; keep Taylor until June at least.

Its a fairly compelling argument to sell.

However, Hughes says "Come on - we are good enough to win this league. I want Championship football, but I want it with Oldham and I'll help you get it. I'll sign a 1 year extension on my deal - and if it doesn't work out, I might move on in June and you'll get a fee". Then it would be a hard decision to sell for me.

But - if we do need money, then it leaves the club looking to sell another player to fill the coffers. Taylor? Hope not. Davies? Yes, but not enough money perhaps. Eardley? Best bet for me. But we may not get the offers for other players we need, and therefore it might be a case of Hughes has to go, whether he wants to or not.

Times like these I don't envy football club owners. Difficult times - and unless you are willing to keep covering the debts, whatever decision you make the fans will grumble.

For me if Hughes goes for £400k+. Taylor for £750+player/sell-ons. Davies goes for £100k+. Eardley goes for £250k+. I'll gumble a bit, but have faith that the decision has been made with the best interests of the club in mind and hope that Shez can bring a face or two, gel with those that remain and still maintain some form in the league.

Who has said that ??? Maybe its Hughes holding TTA to Ransom about a new Contract ???!!

Maybe it is... who knows, as you say...

Have come to the point where i'm a bit indifferent about anything that happens, sell him, dont sell him, sell taylor, dont sell taylor.... whatever... howver if they go, dont throw the toys out of the pram when we lose a few games and end up mid-table...

Its the way of Oldham... we have to sell, however whether that is in january or at the end of the season has to show an indication of what thee TTA (all 4 of them :wink: ) want from this season....

It might be interesting if we sell Hughes for £400k and Byfield... then sell eards and Davies... we could end up in a position where we have balanced the books, and have a couple of hundred thou to spend on a decent goalscorer.... which could be a win win situation...

However... DONT SELL HUGHESY! :wink:

Selling any of our key players is selling short our chances of promotion. If the club does this then they are showing a complete lack of any ambition. This season is our best chance of promotion for many years and if the club want to start selling players in January then that to me states that they are happy in this division.

Tin hat time !!!

I'd rather sell Hughes than Taylor !

Rick runs

I dont think anyone would ague with you matey.... especially long term... and thats coming from me.... *shock*

I'm prgmatic enough to admit that... the problem is... can we win games at the moment without Hughes? No matter how well Chris plays? Just dont think he can win a game on his own - unlike Hughesy...

The problem is.... can we realistically keep taylor long term? Think the best solution in all our eyes would be get to the end of the season and reasses the situation, I dont think anyone would argue if we dont go up, they both deserve their shot elsewhere....

However... will TTA have the bottle to do that, I doubt it.... unless someone over the next month might indicate silly money for Davies and Eardley is coming our way...

I'd rather sell Hughes than Taylor !

agree.

we have to cash in,he's a free agent in the summer,the TTA have been burnt before in this situation(porter)and i think they don't fancy another toasting.

i'm sure at the moment TTA are trying to tie him to a new contract,but if he's made his mind up,theres not much they can do.

selling taylor in jan would be stupid IMO...he's still young,got a long contract and he's only going to get better-his price tag will continue to rise if he keeps performing to his best ability.

£400,000 for a 32-year-old at this level is good money.

I would rather Hughes was sold than Taylor (a longer-term prospect).

However, if this does turn out to be true then it speaks volumes for TTA's attitude towards promotion. Byfield should be alongside Hughes, not a replacement for him. Taking this at face value suggests they've given up on this year already.

One other possibility is TTA think Hughes is going to disappear on a free in the summer and want to avoid another Porter situation. I can't blame them for cashing in now if that's the case, but we would need a quality replacement (not a Premiership teenager on loan, a genuinely worthwhile replacement).

Of course, all of the above statements depend on this being true.

Selling any of our key players is selling short our chances of promotion. If the club does this then they are showing a complete lack of any ambition. This season is our best chance of promotion for many years and if the club want to start selling players in January then that to me states that they are happy in this division.

Simple fact we are a selling club and I wouldn't be surprised if someone is sold when the window opens, I hope it's not the case, but simple fact there is a genuine need to bring revenue into this club

Poor gates

ecomony in the crap (affecting above)

TTA putting 50K in to break even

No Everton tie money this year etc etc

This is far from stating with are happy in this league ...... although the more I look at it as a club have we found our level in modern game ?

Let throw this Hat into the Ring then !!!

Hughes has now done what he set about doing when he signed for us, he's proved he can still find the back of the net, he wants one more big money pay day, he knows WE cant affford him on the wages he asks for ... so he sits back and waits for teams to call HIM (not his agent as he doesnt have one) and make him offers !

If a player wants to leave there is very little these days a club can do !!

One question I would love an answer to which we wont get is this ! Under the terms of his parole, what was the time period expected of him to stay in one place and prove he has sttled back into normal life ?

A typical person when realised from Jail is paroled on a good behaviour and citizen bond for upto 3 years !!!

Hughes goes then it's a massive blow to our promotion hopes.

I don't think he's going anywhere in January, I'd be surprised if anyone made a bid for him.

That said I don't think Davies is going either. We won't get any offers in higher than £80,000 for him.

However I think Chris Taylor will go.

Edited by Bring Back Pukka Pies

Guest oa_exile
Simple fact we are a selling club and I wouldn't be surprised if someone is sold when the window opens

Realistically Taylor and Eardley are under contract for another couple of years so TTA dont have to sell.

Hughes can walk at the end of the season, so I beleive that IF Hughes does not commit in January to at least another year then.......... bye, bye

I dont believe the speculation with Davies and he certainly cannot command a substancial fee,unless other Clubs are stupid........Oh I forgot Leeds :lol:

According to someone I know at the club only Donny have made an offer for TAYLOR. £1MILLION plus Byefield.

Seems they are determined to sign all our team if the Hughes story is true,which I doubt.

My source says Taylor has refused.Donny have no money for buying players let alone two.

One question I would love an answer to which we wont get is this ! Under the terms of his parole, what was the time period expected of him to stay in one place and prove he has sttled back into normal life ?

This one is a total none-starter I'm afraid. He got out because he'd done his the time as set out, yes he could go back inside if he broke even a small law but I'm sure many parolees don't so much as flirt with the jobs market, never mind stay with one employers for a year and a half before getting a move to a bigger firm on better money. Even if he is committed to remaining in a certain area, which I doubt would be the case if it was for employment reasons, then there are plenty of clubs within 90 minutes of where he lives for whom the cost of a car and driver wouldn't break the bank. In any case, it wouldn't be for the best if we had a player who was only with us to stay out of jail.

According to someone I know at the club only Donny have made an offer for TAYLOR. £1MILLION plus Byefield.

Seems they are determined to sign all our team if the Hughes story is true,which I doubt.

My source says Taylor has refused.Donny have no money for buying players let alone two.

Maybe the fact that Taylor refused is exactly why they are going for Hughesy... next on thier extensive scouting list (otherwise known as the squad on the back of the latics programme)...

Keep saying no, and eventually they will get to Wolfy, sell for £1m + Byfield - Happy days!