Lee Hughes to Doncaster - for 400k

sorry if this has been mentioned already but i've a question....

who has put this into the open....hughes? latics? doncaster?

if its hughes who is he's touting himself about already,mentioning release clauses etc to other clubs ,then wouldn't he be in trouble?

if its latics,then wouldn't it said they've tried everything to sign a new contract,so in effect alerting the press will get more interest from other clubs and a bigger transfer fee?

if its doncaster then are they tapping a player up?

• Replies 202
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If he goes to Donny will we be able to join in with the national outrage that his signing on fee will engender?

If he goes to Millwall will they open their collective arms and welcome him into their bosom as one of their own?

If he goes, will I care?

I know the answer to one of them.

Cheers and thanks for the dosh. Half season wonder.

KtF,

Derek.

If more than one club offers the £400k which triggers the release clause, can it become an auction or does Hughes just get to choose where he goes (if indeed he wants to leave)?

All parties would be able to speak to the player a bidding war wouldnt really emerge unfortunatley, one club wouldnt need to out bid another, one clubb would ust offer him a better deal !

If more than one club offers the £400k which triggers the release clause, can it become an auction or does Hughes just get to choose where he goes (if indeed he wants to leave)?

thats another one...

it'll be a case of a flat £400 grand for latics and hughes looks for the best deal.

i'm thinking this clause is something that shouldn't really be public knowledge and its forced latics' hand very early.

thats another one...

it'll be a case of a flat £400 grand for latics and hughes looks for the best deal.

i'm thinking this clause is something that shouldn't really be public knowledge and its forced latics' hand very early.

Have we been too slow in offering him a suitable deal and knowing he has this clause, he has "had the word whispered about?"

Or have latics "sneakily" let this information out, knowing that if we get £400k for Hughes, we may be able to say no to any mediocre offers for Taylor, therefore still keeping our BEST asset.

Either way, Hughes would be a big, big, loss to any promotion aspects we have, but he is entitled to play at a better level and has put himself in the shop window with his record for us and i have no doubt at all, that Barry Owen and Simon Corney HAD to offer him some kind of clause/cherry if he could produce goals, for him to sign for us in the first place

All parties would be able to speak to the player a bidding war wouldnt really emerge unfortunatley, one club wouldnt need to out bid another, one clubb would ust offer him a better deal !

Exactly, the maximum we'd get is 400k because we have to accept any offer of that amount. If a team was willing to spend more than that they'd use the extra money as a signing on fee as an incentive for Lee to sign for them.

Theoretically we could get four offers of 400k and then an offer of 5million, but if one of the 400k offers is offering Hughes double what the 5million is offering him then he'll accept the 400k offer and there's nothing we could do about it.

Ive been told that Hughes will be offered a Contract by the end of this month a contract that would suit both parties should things not work out has planned.

TTA know that Hughes is important to the team not only for his contribution on the pitch but how he helps bring on the other forwards at the club in games and in training.

Within every organisation there are often conflict of opinions, its hoped that these opinions can be worked on so everyone is happy.

Several Clubs have wanted to talk to Hughes since he started to bang in the goals, nothing has changed - Its only now since the private terms of his contract have been made available that clubs have come sniffing.

Hughes by all accounts is happy where he is living, he just wants to make sure that the BEST last deal for him is given !

I think we should offer him an extra year with a release fee of 250k (valid from June), meaning if we don't get promoted this season we'll still get something for him and still gives him a good chance of a Championship team making an offer, because frankly 250k is a steal for Hughesy but still 250k profit for us.

Edited by Bring Back Pukka Pies

Or have latics "sneakily" let this information out, knowing that if we get £400k for Hughes, we may be able to say no to any mediocre offers for Taylor, therefore still keeping our BEST asset.

Exactly my thought, if the Rarely Wrong are our partners, then WHY for heaven's sake are they screaming this as loud as they could?!

Wasn't happy with that myself.

Ive been told that Hughes will be offered a Contract by the end of this month a contract that would suit both parties should things not work out has planned.

Now this is the interesting bit Richie... I presume this implies that we will be offering him a contract with a short term pay rise, and a massive incentive/pay rise to get us promoted.... and a clause that would release him for peanuts (or the odd £200k) if we dont....

.. as you say, hopefully that would be a win win situation for all...

didn't I mention it on here a few weeks ago.... or was that just to you ?

I cant remember mate.... have a feeling it might have just been to me or the Oasis lot!

Edited by BigfinLatic

Just finished reading the 9 pages of this thread - and its got a mixture of good stuff and nonsense.

"If we sell Hughes TTA show they have no amition", "I'll not got to BP again this season" etc.

TTA have hor me show enough comittment to this club to make some of the statements an insult. They have difficult decisions to make between ambition on the pitch and ambitions off the pitch to make the club solvent. These are not easy - and comments along the lines of "if we keep Hughes we'll be in the Championship" are fine in a forum, but we all know that is no way a certainty and we could lose £400k income and still be in League One.

Also things about Hughes and no affinity to the club etc. For me - we took a chance and signed him on a low wage deal and he got the chance to play football again. If, as is now rumoured, he leaves in January - for me a £400k payday is enough of a compensation / thank you back to the club. I am sure that if an offer comes in, Lee will not make the decision easily IF the club leave it up to him (we might need want the £400k even if he wants to stay).

From a fans / promotion view - it would be great to keep him. But we could go up without him, of fail with him - but I think he is genuinely a good footballer to watch and adds entertainment to the game. For that I'd miss him.

But I'd hold no malice against him or the club if for his personal career or the clubs finances he moves on. That's football at this level.

FAO Barry.

Just read your other post on the subject, well written and a fair assessment for me of the situation and thoughts.

The unfortunate nature of the leak is interesting though - given that people state that Lee manages himself without agents, presumably the list of people who have let this slip out are slim.

Lee.

The Club.

I am guessing the Chron have been given the truth to print as to quash / explain the rumours that were out there. So potential reasons for the leak?

Lee - not happy with the offter/no-offer from the club? Wants to move to the Championship now?

Club - want to see if they can get £400k for him and sell?

Any other ideas? not that any of the above reasons change my view on the situation i.e. if its right for one/both then thats football and the term of the contract are met. Fair dos.

FAO Barry.

Just read your other post on the subject, well written and a fair assessment for me of the situation and thoughts.

The unfortunate nature of the leak is interesting though - given that people state that Lee manages himself without agents, presumably the list of people who have let this slip out are slim.

The thing is .. is this still the case? It was clear at the beginning he didn't have one but things change so quickly in football and he's coming to near the end of his contract etc etc

can anyone confirm he doesn't have one still?

O/T but I never realised Hughes was on suicide watch whilst he was inside. I wouldn't begrudge the guy a move for one last big deal in The Championship. I don't buy that he owes us anything, we were looking out for our own interests more than his. I want him to stay because I think if we keep this squad in tact throuhout January this will be our season, but if we lose Hughes and Taylor it's going to be extremely difficult. You see if we lost Taylor and we could keep Jones until the end of the season it wouldn't be a big loss because Jones' pace and cross would make up for Taylor's "skinning" of players. Hughes is much more difficult to replace and we wouldn't be able to. 400k would all go into balancing the books, not on signing another striker, we'd have to rely on the loan market.

O/T but I never realised Hughes was on suicide watch whilst he was inside.

I guess you didn't realise he is now a Muslim either! :blink:

I hope he stays, but as has been pointed out, £400k would pay off some debts AND hire a striker MUCH better than we can afford at the moment (Hughes excepted, given his situation).

What I hope most of all is that, if he does leave us, he gets a great reception when he returns to BP!

I hope he stays, but as has been pointed out, £400k would pay off some debts AND hire a striker MUCH better than we can afford at the moment (Hughes excepted, given his situation).

How would it? Let's just put this into perspective; Calvin Zola went Crewe for 200k. Glenn Murray, who isn't a bad striker, but nowhere near as good as Hughesy went for 300k. So to get any striker to do a job anywhere near as Hughesy would cost 300k minimum. If we're selling Hughesy to buy a replacement, then it's completely pointless because we won't get anyone as good as him for 400k, albeit we might get some decent striker in for that but that wouldn't leave anything to invest back into the club. If we sell Hughesy then that 400k should just be used to balance the books, that's its best use.

Scratch that - 250k is what Motherwell want for that striker who scored 22 goals for us that time.

Edited by Bring Back Pukka Pies

Or, perhaps, Lee's agent.

My post assumed the rumour of Lee representing himself is true. If not then the agent would be added to that list and quickly find themselves at the top and the focus of a lot of dubious and suspicous looks from me and others.

If he is now represented - the the agent did it, in the press room, with a big dose of greed.

How would it?

Well, we could hire someone on £5000 a week for a year, and still pay the bills PLUS whatever we pay Lee. Of course, we arent likely to pick such a player up until the end of the season, which is why I hope he stays with us. In fact, I'd like him to stay with us anyway, but market forces may dicate otherwise. :grin:

I'm hoping this is all about Lee negotiating a better deal for next year. Who knows?!

Though not as many as the often critisised Porter and Beckett. Or from other teams Lambert, Beckford, Cox, Mikael-Smith, Graham, Hooper.

Is he getting pro rata anywhere near Liddells 19 assists?

400K for that? Come on? Which fan wouldn't realistically say yes?

Added to that, the stench of bad publicity would be hoisted upon anothers teams shoulders.

KtF,

Derek.