Lee Hughes to Doncaster - for 400k

Public transport services will be worried!
I know, it's hard enough to bear those two/three buses and the horrible people on them in the first place. Without Hughsey to come to see it is definitely not worth that horrible experience! Edited by monkeykieran

• Replies 202
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hughes can go — if the price is right

Reporter: MICHAEL YARWOOD

Date online: 01/12/2008

TOP scorer Lee Hughes can leave Athletic for £400,000 during next month’s transfer window.

A release clause in the striker’s contract allows him to quit Boundary Park if any club comes up with the minimum offer.

The decision would be taken out of Athletic’s hands and, although no bids have been received, there is a distinct chance of rivals teams exploiting the situation.

Championship strugglers Doncaster are among the clubs watching Hughes (32), who has hit nine goals this season and is due out of contract in June.

Athletic chief executive Alan Hardy admitted: “It could well be the case that Doncaster are interested in Lee, and I suppose a lot of clubs should be because he’s a good player.

“We wouldn’t want to sell any of our good players while we are challenging for promotion, but it looks like clubs have been made aware of the release clause in Lee’s contract.”

Hughes has spent most of his career in the top two divisions and is keen on a return to the Championship.

If any clubs trigger the clause by offering £400,000, Athletic will be powerless. And unless there is a bidding war, they will not receive a higher fee.

Alternatively, Hughes could wait until his deal runs out next summer and then walk away as a free agent.

Athletic, however, hope he will stay throughout their promotion push and fulfil his Championship ambitions at Boundary Park.

The former Coventry and West Brom star – who once commanded a transfer fee of £5million — is settled in the area and has rebuilt his career since leaving prison.

But Athletic are bracing themselves for a busy transfer window as offers are also expected for winger Chris Taylor, and possibly other members of the squad.

Meanwhile, the home league match against Leeds United has been brought forward 24 hours to Monday, March 2, and will be live on Sky Sports.

WHICH IDIOT PUT A CLAUSE IN HIS CONTRACT!! You'd hope he shows loyalty by staying til june, then if we go up/dont go up and he wants to stay or go then we can part on amicable terms.

A mate of mine says Donny couldnt afford 400k but we'll wait and see. Im just sick of football, as soon as we have something good at this club it gets broken up.....

Unbelievable !!!like you said,a certain mr hardy deals with contractcs!!! Enoughsaid!!! :disappointed:

Ah, so we're going to be lynching Mr Hardy if Hughes goes now are we? Grow up FFS.

At least we now know the basis of the £400k stories - a release clause in his contract. That still doesn't mean there is anything beyond unsubstantiated rumour in terms of him going to Doncaster (or anywhere else).

Yes I'm disappointed that release clause is there, but there would have been good reasons for it at the time, and I still think £400k is an awful lot for any club to pay for a 32 year old who'll be available for nothing in the summer.

Fingers (toes, arms, legs...) crossed...

Unbelievable !!!like you said,a certain mr hardy deals with contractcs!!! Enoughsaid!!! :disappointed:

Nothing wrong in that methinks. Take his age into account too! £400k for him, which means he has no real sell-on value because after his next contract he'll be in his late 30's. I think it's a fair valuation of him. A 'put your money where your mouth is' kind of move. I'd be far more dismayed if Hughes stays on 'til the end in the full knowledge he's going to do one on a gratis in the summer.

I get the feeling people just like to hit Hardy with a shítty stick whatever he does.

EDIT: Spot on Garcon.

Edited by Frankly Mr Shankly

"TOP scorer Lee Hughes can leave Athletic for £400,000 during next month’s transfer window.

A release clause in the striker’s contract allows him to quit Boundary Park if any club comes up with the minimum offer.

The decision would be taken out of Athletic’s hands and, although no bids have been received, there is a distinct chance of rivals teams exploiting the situation.

Championship strugglers Doncaster are among the clubs watching Hughes (32), who has hit nine goals this season and is due out of contract in June.

Athletic chief executive Alan Hardy admitted: “It could well be the case that Doncaster are interested in Lee, and I suppose a lot of clubs should be because he’s a good player.

“We wouldn’t want to sell any of our good players while we are challenging for promotion, but it looks like clubs have been made aware of the release clause in Lee’s contract.”

Hughes has spent most of his career in the top two divisions and is keen on a return to the Championship.

If any clubs trigger the clause by offering £400,000, Athletic will be powerless. And unless there is a bidding war, they will not receive a higher fee.

Alternatively, Hughes could wait until his deal runs out next summer and then walk away as a free agent.

Athletic, however, hope he will stay throughout their promotion push and fulfil his Championship ambitions at Boundary Park.

The former Coventry and West Brom star – who once commanded a transfer fee of £5million — is settled in the area and has rebuilt his career since leaving prison.

But Athletic are bracing themselves for a busy transfer window as offers are also expected for winger Chris Taylor, and possibly other members of the squad. "

We want a mergy!!!We want a mergy!!! :grin:

Guest sheridans_world
WHICH IDIOT PUT A CLAUSE IN HIS CONTRACT!! You'd hope he shows loyalty by staying til june, then if we go up/dont go up and he wants to stay or go then we can part on amicable terms.

A mate of mine says Donny couldnt afford 400k but we'll wait and see. Im just sick of football, as soon as we have something good at this club it gets broken up.....

Thats the idiot who said. 'Hi Lee, glad you are looking to sign for us, we are going to pay you peanuts because we are taking a big risk on you but we recognise that if you hit it off then you will want to leave to get a higher wage so we will put this £400k clause in as a 'sweetener' so you can go out and score as many goals as you want so you can try and get as high a salary as possible.'

Personally giving Hughes an incentive to score goals is a good idea and, lets face it, I'd snap someone's hands off if they were offering 400k for Hughes. He's a good player but Hughes isnt a one man team. After paying nothing for him, paying him peanuts and not having to shell out on his development I think OAFC could be in for a nice profit margin on Hughes.

That said.... I dont want him to leave.

He's a good player but Hughes isnt a one man team.

Surely, he is?

Anyway, most people were speculating that we wouldn't get any worthwhile amount for him (the odd genius speculated that a struggling Championship team might be willing to go to half a million for him) so this clause has done it's job.

Can't see this issue with it .... in the last year of most players contracts there will probally be a clause like this. If he decides to walk away at the end of the season, we get nothing. This way if he decides to walk away now ... we get 400K which is not a bad deal.

Why be critical of Hardy and the club .... Hughes as said he wants to help us get into the Championship, yet if he decides to join another club in New Year then surely this is his choice not the clubs fault. He should be the one to point the finger at!!!

Absolutely bull that fans constantly point the finger at the club ... it takes two.

However what is being done to keep Hughes? As a contract been offered ... even so I suggest there are a number of Championship clubs after him who would surely be able to pay double we can, which Hughes is bound to take up before our offer.

He is coming into the end of his contract in six months, a club comes along with a 2 1/2 year contract (double the money Latics offer) ........ no I'll stay at Oldham with no assurance of a contract with Latics, we'll be in the Championship or that he will get a offer as good as the one he turned down New Year.

I didn't honestly think he would be with us for the whole season ... I just hope he will be.

obviously with the clause being in then its not the clubs fault if he goes, but they agreed to it in the first place and surely they knew if he would find form like he has done and we're doing well that clubs would be after him and we'd lose him halfway through the season??!

Id rather they told us when he originally signed that way we would have all expected this and would have come to terms with it.

Only the same as Trotman last season. Out of contract in six months. Would you like half a million quid? Yes please

right ye so every time we get a good player who is out of contract in 6 months we sell, that way we're defiantely going to have success....!

I think its a very good shop with an extensive homewear section,i would recomend it to anyone lol x :o

Sorry i being naughty!!!Good business but no hughes=no promotion,think performances without him this season proves none of our other strikers will score 10 goals never mind the 20+ we need of one and 15 of the another!!

obviously with the clause being in then its not the clubs fault if he goes, but they agreed to it in the first place and surely they knew if he would find form like he has done and we're doing well that clubs would be after him and we'd lose him halfway through the season??!

Id rather they told us when he originally signed that way we would have all expected this and would have come to terms with it.

right ye so every time we get a good player who is out of contract in 6 months we sell, that way we're defiantely going to have success....!

Look at the bigger picture

We sell for 400k we can pocket some of that, and spend some on a replacement who fair enough, might not be as good as hughes, but easilly good enough for this level.

Or we lose him for nothing in june, and dont properly replace him.

We are a club losing 15k a week, everyone wants success but we cant go back to the M**** days and try to buy success with money we havent got,

A lot of clubs do. Blackpool had to let go of Hoolahan and Gorkss, as both had a £250k release clause in their contract, which was triggered as soon as another club made a bid, Norwich and QPR respectively. There was no bidding war and 2x£250k was all that Lashers got. Clubs claim you have to put in a release clause (another one is if a team is relegated) in order to sign potentially good players who are available for free or a nominal fee (their agents insist on it).

£400k is a bargain for proven goalscorer and I'd have thought there would be a lot of interest from other clubs, including in our division, though Hughes might not want another L1 club and his wage demands would be high. A lot of Championship clubs would take a punt on Hughsie, not so much as their first-choice striker as to give them more ammunition and strength in depth towards the business end of the season. One fly in the ointment is the inevitable negative publicity the signing of Hughes would generate, and possible backlash from their own fans, sponsors and perhaps from their own team. For this reason I think it'd be highly unlikely that any West Midland team would go for him, but others may have fewer scruples for an established poacher.

Pretty much, yes.

See, getting screwed over like Porter did to us isn't something we want to happen again.

So Trotman had to go. Same way as Hughes.

Hughes or Taylor to go. Your choice. One will be off.

Ironically Hughes' bookings mean he can play in the FA Cup too.

Look at the bigger picture

We sell for 400k we can pocket some of that, and spend some on a replacement who fair enough, might not be as good as hughes, but easilly good enough for this level.

Or we lose him for nothing in june, and dont properly replace him.

We are a club losing 15k a week, everyone wants success but we cant go back to the M**** days and try to buy success with money we havent got,

Id risk losing him for nothing in June and look forward to watching Championship football at Boundary Park!

That way we're in a better position to keep Lee Hughes in any case because we can afford to pay him more money and offer a higher standard of football.

£400k now or higher revenues in the Champ?