Oldhamers half-hearted over BOGOF offer

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was wondering how the BOGOF offer had been advertised and then I came across a massive advert in last Wednesday's Chron (10th December) of over 10 inches x 9 inches, taking up two thirds of page 5.

3111207117_beea1574eb_b.jpg

Note: My copy has missed off the last line which read: - offer not available online. 3. Admission on day of game: Adults £10 each, under 16s and over 65s £5 each.

The remainder of the page was taken up with an advert for Alchemy Homes at Woodhouses, who are in association with Latics for this offer. Presumably they paid for the full page advert.

Anyway there is no way that any Chron reader could have missed seing the offer.

Edited by Diego_Sideburns

I was wondering how the BOGOF offer had been advertised and then I came across a massive advert in last Wednesday's Chron (10th December) of over 10 inches x 9 inches, taking up two thirds of page 5.

3111207117_beea1574eb_b.jpg

Note: My copy has missed off the last line which read: - offer not available online. 3. Admission on day of game: Adults £10 each, under 16s and over 65s £5 each.

The remainder of the page was taken up with an advert for Alchemy Homes at Woodhouses, who are in association with Latics for this offer. Presumably they paid for the full page advert.

Anyway there is no way that any Chron reader could have missed seing the offer.

i know that when i was in the club shop last thursday,that a load of flyers had just been delivered and the bloke said.2i have an urgent delivery"..but i dont know where they were destined for...not put in the chron or advertiser,or even the metro papers(not advert flyers)

i know that when i was in the club shop last thursday,that a load of flyers had just been delivered and the bloke said.2i have an urgent delivery"..but i dont know where they were destined for...not put in the chron or advertiser,or even the metro papers(not advert flyers)

Last week the Club was looking for promotional workers in the town centre, presumably to hand out those flyers.

http://www.oldhamathletic.co.uk/page/NewsU...1483220,00.html

Last week the Club was looking for promotional workers in the town centre, presumably to hand out those flyers.

http://www.oldhamathletic.co.uk/page/NewsU...1483220,00.html

Probably. But like I've said in another thread, it will be interesting to see how many there are. I contacted the club as soon as they cried out of volunteers and I didn't even get the courtesy of a reply!

Tonight's rarely wrong Chron is pointing out the need to buy BOGOF tickets in advance. It says Athletic have been disappointed by the response to their offer, although they still believe they can attract their target of an 8,000 crowd.

I'm going for 4 tomorrow, 2 regulars and 2 armchair fans!

=====================================

Tonight's rarely wrong Chron is pointing out the need to buy BOGOF tickets in advance. It says Athletic have been disappointed by the response to their offer, although they still believe they can attract their target of an 8,000 crowd.

True, the two-for-one offer has always been for advance purchase. Those paying on Saturday get in for 10 quid, still 50% off regular price but not as good. I'd say we get around 7000 mark.

True, the two-for-one offer has always been for advance purchase. Those paying on Saturday get in for 10 quid, still 50% off regular price but not as good. I'd say we get around 7000 mark.

I bought mine in advance only because I phoned for Crewe tickets ... got a spare/comp that I don't actually need. So if I hadn't been getting a Crewe ticket I would be paying for myself on the day

I purchased 10 tickets for a group, made up of city, man u, liverpool, northampton and preston fans. Oh not to mention of some Oldham. Come 5PM they will all be worshiping at the feet of Roger Palmer as the boys will put a fantastic show on. (I hope as my mrs is attending her first (of many) game(s)).

Edited by jimsleftfoot

I appreciate that these discounted tickets have been on sale for a while now (I've got mine) but why, oh why is the ticket office closing at 5pm on Friday?

We all know that some fans are going to leave their purchase until the last minute and for the sake of a couple of hours overtime we're probably going to miss selling quite a few extra seats.

The fact is that if we get a low crowd then it's the club's marketing scheme which has let them down.

Case in point: was getting a haircut yesterday and the hairdresser is a United fan, but due to prices etc, he takes his son regularly to Dale. The lad is now mad Dale; even asked for a Dale shirt rather than a United one last Xmas. He also takes him occasionally to Latics. I asked if he was going to the Orient game on Saturday, what with the offer and all...and he asked, 'what offer?'. Told him about it, and he said there's a very good chance he'll take his lad along.

These are the people the club should be looking to bring in...United(ish) fans who don't want to/can't afford to pay to go to OT, and want to take their kids to live football. He lives up near Rochdale...he doesn't read the Chron and he certainly doesn't read the fishal or OWTB.

A quarter page advert in the MEN could have gone/could still go a long way.

When I was involved in recruitment, that would have cost about £10,000 in the job pages - presumably similar rates elsewhere in the rag.

While the club's marketing efforts are quite rightly criticised at times, that advert would need to bring in 2,000 extra fans to break even. I don't think it would achieve the numbers effectively.

A free option would be to have a PDF emailed to all OWTB subscribers/season ticket holders etc asking them to print off and display in their workplace.

Do we have time to do that chaps?

I appreciate that these discounted tickets have been on sale for a while now (I've got mine) but why, oh why is the ticket office closing at 5pm on Friday?

We all know that some fans are going to leave their purchase until the last minute and for the sake of a couple of hours overtime we're probably going to miss selling quite a few extra seats.

Did the ticket office close at normal time right through the BOGOF offer?

If it did then it's no wonder we are struggling to sell tickets.

Most working people don't get home until sixish during the week so how do the club expect to sell tickets?

OK you can order over the phone but with our mail service and the time of year some people are a little reluctant to use the service.

A little kiosk in Oldham town centre promoting the game and selling tickets might have been a good idea.

Also like has been said on the forum, if you live outside the Chron area and don't use a PC how do you know about the offer anyway!!!

I'm taking my RED mate who lives on Burnley Lane about 10 minutes from the ground and he didn't know anything about it either!!!

You can bet your life there will be people on Sheepfoot Lane who aren't aware of it!!

When I was involved in recruitment, that would have cost about £10,000 in the job pages - presumably similar rates elsewhere in the rag.

While the club's marketing efforts are quite rightly criticised at times, that advert would need to bring in 2,000 extra fans to break even. I don't think it would achieve the numbers effectively.

A free option would be to have a PDF emailed to all OWTB subscribers/season ticket holders etc asking them to print off and display in their workplace.

Do we have time to do that chaps?

It could bring in that many, the number though would be less than 2k as people once in will spend on programmes, car park, food, drink etc.

What would have maybe been a good idea was to set up some sort of partnership with Dale. They're at Exeter this weekend...the club could have said to them to make their fans aware of our deal...most Dale fans won't be making such a long trip and could get their football fix very cheaply just up the road. In return when we're at Brighton or whatever (can't be bothered to check Dale's fixtures), we could promote one of their fixtures. Just something along the lines of 'get youself down to the south coast but if the credit crunch is pulling you down then why not go along to BP/Spotland?'. To be honest, there would be no greater tribute to Ernie than for both of us to win promotion this year, let's support eachother (for one year only :grin: )

Every Thursday my FREE Advertiser drops thro. my letterbox and there at least 4 or 5 flyers which drop out, usually advertising

Wooden Flooring, this weeks New Indian Takeaway, Special offers at Morrisons etc.

Couldn't we have arranged for a BOGOF flyer to placed in there?

As said earlier if more people are made aware more people come....even if they are hairdressers!.... :blink:

===============================================================================

Every Thursday my FREE Advertiser drops thro. my letterbox and there at least 4 or 5 flyers

Both points taken, but news of the BOGOF offer has appeared in the MEN-owned Advertiser:

http://www.oldhamadvertiser.co.uk/sport/fo...for_latics_fans

Not what you're asking for, but better than nothing.