We need to bring in quality from Non League

Like Peterborough, there three best players and three of the best players in the division.

Aaron McLean - Grays Athletic

Craig Mackail-Smith - Dagenham Redbridge

George Boyd - Stevenage

Gary Hooper - Grays Athletic

Jermaine Beckford - Wealdstone

We brought in Stephens, that's fine, but he doesn't get a chance!

Lots of quality players in this division come from Non-League but we don't seem to get them, which begs the question, how good/poor is our scouting?

We need to stop picking up Championship rejects, and League One relegation no hopers!

Edited by Bring Back Pukka Pies

Like Peterborough, there three best players and the three best players in the division.

Aaron McLean - Grays

Craig Mackail-Smith - Dagenham Redbridge

George Boyd - Stevenage

Gary Hooper - Grays Athletic

Jermaine Beckford - Wealdstone

We brought in Stephens, that's fine, but he doesn't get a chance!

Lots of quality players in this division come from Non-League but we don't seem to get them, which begs the question, how good/poor is our scouting?

We need to stop picking up Championship rejects, and League One relegation no hopers!

It's all well and good saying that but good non league players still cost money!!! People like McLean, Boyd and Mackail Smith all went for big 6 figure fees. Money we just dont have. Gary Hooper cost the best part of 80k, granted Beckford could have been for a nominal fee. But I'm afraid that free transfers are the way forward again for us. At least for the time being we have a manager who can spot a rough diamond.

Edited by oafc2002

It's all well and good saying that but good now league players still cost money!!! People like McLean, Boyd and Mackail Smith all went for big 6 figure fees. Money we just dont have. Gary Hooper cost the best part of 80k, granted Beckford could have for a nominal fee. But I'm afraid that free transfers are the way forward again for us. At least for the time being we have a manager who can spot a rough diamond.

You need to spend money to get out of the division.

To spend money you need to have money first, to get more money we need more fans, to get more fans you need a winning team, to get a winning team you need good players, to get good players you need more money.

It's a vicious circle, also spending money doesnt gurantee success, we only have to cast our minds back around 6 years to see where that can lead.

Guest oa_exile

I agree on wages not transfer fees, come May there are always plenty of decent players out of contract.....just got to move in for them quickly

Edited by oa_exile

I love the idea that when crowds are falling the world is in recession that we expect people to pay out 150k on a striker that is untried in league 1.

Having seen Bishop play for Bury, he's not all that a large percentage of his goals come from the penalty spot.

I agree on wages not transfer fees, come May there are always plenty of decent players out of contract.....just got to move in for them quickly

We;ve tried that, on the likes of Windass, Ormerod. But when it comes to paying the wages of a proven league one creative midfielder we said no thanks, and said midfielder signed for one of our rivals and is now playing a league ahead of us with those rivals, despite him saying he likes the club and he'd sign if his terms were met.

Edited by Bring Back Pukka Pies

Guest oa_exile
We;ve tried that, on the likes of Windass, Ormerod. But when it comes to paying the wages of a proven league one creative midfielder we said no thanks, and said midfielder signed for one of our rivals and is now playing a league ahead of us with those rivals, despite him saying he likes the club and he'd sign if his terms were met.

My post does not include unfit over the hill loanies :grin:

It's all well and good saying that but good non league players still cost money!!! People like McLean, Boyd and Mackail Smith all went for big 6 figure fees. Money we just dont have. Gary Hooper cost the best part of 80k, granted Beckford could have been for a nominal fee. But I'm afraid that free transfers are the way forward again for us. At least for the time being we have a manager who can spot a rough diamond.

Our choice of player over the last few seasons has been dire and I don't think Shez could pick a decent player if he fell over him.

We've paid fees for O'Grady and Davies and although we got our money back and a bit more with Davies they have both proved poor decisions, I'll reserve judgement on Stephens as we haven't seen enough of him but one thing I will say is that we are not in a position to pay money for players and then leave them in the reserves!!!

Our loan options especially up front have been absolutely shocking and it is there where we have made the biggest errors. I don't know who our main scouts are but it's an area that want's a good coat of looking at!!!

Next season we have to get the midfield operating as a unit or get the wingers to the byline and cross the bloody thing...Taylor's had a reasonable season but gone off the boil recently, I think needs to play on the right and then we might see an end product to his mazy runs!!

We may not have pots of money but I don't think we'll get out of this league collecting free transfers...No team gives good players away for free as we have found to our peril!!!

If we have to go with youth then so be it, at least you will get commitment and desire but it's no good giving them the odd game here and there and then replacing them with journeymen as that gives them no confidence at all...Give em a few games to gel and you never know, like Smalley and Allesandra at reserve level they just might become prolific and save/make the club a fortune!!

Although there's no guarantees, If Joe stays I will look forward to next season and maybe with a bit of luck, have a proper go at finally getting up...KTF!!!

Our loan options especially up front have been absolutely shocking and it is there where we have made the biggest errors. I don't know who our main scouts are but it's an area that want's a good coat of looking at!!!

To be fair Windass and Kabba had great debuts according to a lot of those that went, Omerod had a proven record at this level and many were pleased with his signing. So what happened after they settled in? They all seemed to go to :censored:. Or was it the service? On paper, most of the loan strikers would have been welcome signings but none of them have fired. In fact the only strikers that do fire in our games are ones we've let go scoring against us.

Just to remind people, our best goal scorer in ages came from Bury! We paid £150,000 for him! Had we moved quick enough we could have snapped up Andy Bishop for that price early January.

Bishop was playing in non league at York before Bury signed him.

Edited by BP1960

There's loads of talent in the non leagues, but there's plenty of talent at league clubs who we could get as well.

We've got two clubs with an excellent youth system on our doorstep - City won the youth cup dont forget and United's doesnt need questioning - yet we never seem to look in their direction for good young talent as much as we should and could be doing.

We've got two clubs with an excellent youth system on our doorstep - City won the youth cup dont forget and United's doesnt need questioning - yet we never seem to look in their direction for good young talent as much as we should and could be doing.

Probably because Uniteds and Citeh's youth kidlings are on more pocket money than our first teamers.

Although I agree that there is no harm in searching for talent in the non-league, I believe that we just need quality from whatever source available be it greedy league reserves or seasoned championship campaigners.

One thing I want to see is a passion to play for the shirt (passion doesn't have to be defined as running endlessly around the pitch but having the attitude that you want to see the club succeed and you want to be a part of that.)

I'm expecting a clear out over the next few months so it should be an interesting time to see how the new manager, be it Joe or another, balances the squad with a lowered wage budget.

Jim Gannon is the man to do it he has brought many non league players in at stockport like liam dickinson and Anthony pilkington both from woodley sports.

but Jim Gannon likes to develop players like Dickinson and Pilkington through time, and it seems there is little patience at this club

but Jim Gannon likes to develop players like Dickinson and Pilkington through time, and it seems there is little patience at this club

A massive understatement, but what is the point of bringing in talent for the future when there is no bloody reserves to give them a taste of the football they need. If Joe stays i reckon the reserves set up will be up and going and playing in a league next season, we need players match fit when called upon

I agree with Gentleman and Opinions4U. It's not the source of players we should be focusing on, it's the quality and balance. Non-league is just one place to look, and I don't believe that quality is guaranteed - or cheap - to the degree that others might. For every Boyd or Beckford is a Corry, Roberts or Whitehall. (Or did he just come up a division? My memory's hazy.)