Scholes...... Again !

• Replies 197
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Report on Radio Manchester now says a paper has said he's been offered a player coach role at Stoke.

Personally I'd love to see him at Latics, though he's possibly only got one good season left in him, and please no tackles like the one in the Champions League final, you'll miss more games than you'll play with all the yellow and red cards meaning suspensions.

come on Scholesy, you know it makes sense....

Report on Radio Manchester now says a paper has said he's been offered a player coach role at Stoke.

Personally I'd love to see him at Latics, though he's possibly only got one good season left in him, and please no tackles like the one in the Champions League final, you'll miss more games than you'll play with all the yellow and red cards meaning suspensions.

come on Scholesy, you know it makes sense....

Scholes has 2 or 3 in him yet but if he goes to Stoke this season, that will be pretty much it for our future hopes of signing him. At the top level he will manage 1 maybe 2 seasons and then he will either retire or drop down the leagues and if he is already ina coaching role I can see him calling it a day at that. Not a chance he is joining us this season but next season when his contract is up? Who knows.

After being on £50k a week at United for a few years, if not more, does he really need any more? I know we would all like more money, but I think Scholesy is more of a principled person than one who's in it for the money. Living in Grasscroft would mean a 15 minute drive to training, sure his castle is already well paid for, he'd have thousands of adoring fans, many extra season ticket holders, and the chance to play for his beloved 'tics, and shine in a promotion winning team. (ok I've just woken up from this dream)

Stoke v Oldham, no comparison!!!!!!!!!

After being on £50k a week at United for a few years, if not more, does he really need any more? I know we would all like more money, but I think Scholesy is more of a principled person than one who's in it for the money. Living in Grasscroft would mean a 15 minute drive to training, sure his castle is already well paid for, he'd have thousands of adoring fans, many extra season ticket holders, and the chance to play for his beloved 'tics, and shine in a promotion winning team. (ok I've just woken up from this dream)

Stoke v Oldham, no comparison!!!!!!!!!

If he's so principled, why is now, or so it appears, distancing himself from the club he spent years talking of as the one he supported?

(I accept that the recent interview may have somehow distorted the truth.)

If he's so principled, why is now, or so it appears, distancing himself from the club he spent years talking of as the one he supported?

He does support, I use to travel with him on the supporters coach to matches. All the other lads at United use to go to watch the United 1st team, he choose to watch Latics (much to their amusement he always told me) ....... suppose I'm making this up :dedhrse:

He does support, I use to travel with him on the supporters coach to matches. All the other lads at United use to go to watch the United 1st team, he choose to watch Latics (much to their amusement he always told me) ....... suppose I'm making this up :dedhrse:

I don't think you're making anything up. As I said, I'm as puzzled as anybody by his disclaimer in the recent press interview.

Crikey Corp your getting tiresome and "just for effect" ...enough crap for a bit please.

Anyone who thinks he will chase money....well its not worth repeating.

In a game where the vast majority do, for good or ill, chase money, why do you think he's different? This touching faith in the altruism of a man who is personally unknown to almost all of us is strange, especally when coming from people who stress that 'there's no sentiment in football' when it suits them.

You should have added NOR...WILL...WE ...SEE...ANY...MICHAH...MONEY

I often find that a few beers, sitting in a beautiful place in quiet contemplation, a :censored: , or a long walk in open spaces are good ways to dispell persistent negative thoughts.

Yeah but £30K -£40K a week at Stoke or £6K at Latics? :mmm: ...........

I reckon £40k a week would cover the majority of Stoke's first 11 next season. Most Premiership players are on nothing like that. Scholes would not do it for the money, any more than Nicky Barmby did for Hull. He may not do it at all, but I won't say it's outside the realms of possibility. As for how many seasons he has left - be serious folks. If Scholes was COMPLETELY immobile - ie like Shez in his final year when he hardly moved more than 5 yards one way or the other - he would still be our best player by a country mile. He doesn't need to move as it is, he can snap a pass out without looking before the best midfield attack dogs in the world can get close to him. The cloggers in Div 3 wouldn't even realise they were meant to be there. As for the idea he would get kicked out - really. As above, you have to be in the same quarter of the pitch to make it look plausible, and oh, why has nobody tried it already? Scholes is a dwarf and I have never yet seen anyone really try to physically dominate him in a game. No doubt a few clowns would leave a late tackle in, he's seen it all before and usually sorted it out. Mosy players know not to bother. He knows he can't tackle, but he still makes a region of the pitch his not to try and dribble through. He's still going to make the tackle, it's their choice if they want to be there when it arrives.

If this one is EVER going to happen, is now the time to go for it?

Break the bank if that's what it needs? Get sponsorship to help it happen?

It would certainly be a massive boost for season ticket sales!

The Sun have linked him to Bolton. Similar journeytime as getting to Old Trafford.

To be honest, I struggle to reconcile the balance between him wanting to come to BP and the financial cost of him coming to BP. It all adds up to "not gonna happen" for me. Hope I'm wrong.

Manager for the 2011/12 season perhaps?

Edited by opinions4u

I often find that a few beers, sitting in a beautiful place in quiet contemplation, a wank, or a long walk in open spaces are good ways to dispell persistent negative thoughts.

There's nothing negative about recognising that, rather than waiting for the big payout that may, but probably won't, one day come, and the chance of a gimmicky signing by somebody who now looks like he might have been stringing us all along, the club has to carve out it's own worthwhile future.

The rest is a bit like believing you're going to win the lottery.

Are you ever going to give it a rest its getting more and more tedious. stringing us along dont make me laugh....

He has only got one interest - and thats the demise of Oldham Athletic, i wouldnt hold your breath

I think he needs medical help

Edited by creepy

It really does make me laugh when people compare Nick Barmby and Paul Scholes.

And for all this about the Div 3 hatchet men targeting him, if he ever did end up at this level it would be the other way round.

Every one has a love in with Scholes on here because he supports us (or at least he used to). But all this 'he can't tackle' bollocks that the Sky comentators come out with every time he scythes someone down is exactly that, bollocks. He knows exactly what he's doing, a great player but a dirty bastard to boot.

Anyway, he'll never play for us, but it wouldn't surprise me if he starts (and possibly ends) his managerial carreer here.

He has only got one interest - and thats the demise of Oldham Athletic, i wouldnt hold your breath

I think he needs medical help

I am of the opinion that the outlook for the club is not all that good and seek to explain why. It is an observation that anybody who looks at the evidence available to an outsider observer who isn't a blind optimist, ought to be able to share. It is a view which is overwhelmingly swamped by the 'wing and a prayer' brigade on these boards.

Perhaps those who need medical help are the ones who believe that by doing essentially the same thing over and over again you will not get essentially the same result.

Edited by Corporal_Jones

Perhaps those who need medical help are the ones who believe that by doing essentially the same thing over and over again you will not get essentially the same result.

What, you mean like typing the same words again and again on the same message board to the same people?

I am of the opinion that the outlook for the club is not all that good and seek to explain why. It is an observation that anybody who looks at the evidence available to an outsider observer who isn't a blind optimist, ought to be able to share. It is a view which is overwhelmingly swamped by the 'wing and a prayer' brigade on these boards.

I think that actually most people accept that this club isn't in the greatest of positions. I think most people accept also that going on about it doesn't improve the situation.

As for Scholes, not one can ultimatley say weather Scholes will join us apart from Scholes himself. It will be interesting to see what happens if Fergie leaves and Scholes still hasn't got a contract. Also if we are in the championship, then the situation will be a lot different to what it is now. Until he retires (or signs), we will never know one way or another.

Is Corporal Jones actually being negative?

Yes. He refuses to come up with any possible solution to the negative situation he describes. Constant repetition of this picture that he paints is negative in itself.

If you had to live/work with someone who only saw the bad side and never looked to improve matters I think you would regard him/her as a negative force.

Edited by LaticsPete