Abbott Signs

Is it just me who is slightly worried by the fact that Abbott scored those 17 goals over two seasons? I know you're all going to say, yeah but he did it in 31 games, but surely that's an even greater worry. We've signed someone who is only fit for a third of games on a two year contract? You're "goalscorer" can't miss that many games if you're looking at moving up, at any level. :unsure:

RoboPhysio.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

ye but on that basis you could say the same about hughes with his injury, still was good for us, might have just had an unlucky couple of seasons

But Hughes scored 15+ last season. Abbott's not done that recently.

Is it just me who is slightly worried by the fact that Abbott scored those 17 goals over two seasons? I know you're all going to say, yeah but he did it in 31 games, but surely that's an even greater worry. We've signed someone who is only fit for a third of games on a two year contract? You're "goalscorer" can't miss that many games if you're looking at moving up, at any level. :unsure:

It's true, but it does not mean to say he is going to miss that many games for us, what if it was a genuine injury?

That is not his record for his whole career, just that time.

And as Penney worked with him, then he will know.

Interestingly, there were training method rumours! We've been there!

Also it says he is 30, I thought everyone on here said he was 26?! Is he trying to be Joan Collins and being elusve about his age!

He is 32 on 2nd December according to the site I got this from.

Abbott setback riles Penney

11 Sep 2008 - 14:16:47

Abbott setback riles PenneyDarlington striker Pawel Abbott faces a further three months on the sidelines with an ankle ligament problem.

The 30-year-old has not featured in the Quakers first team so far this term and his long list of injury problems were rumoured to be linked with the club's training regime.

However, manager Dave Penney told the Evening Gazette: "It's a huge blow for Pav and the club, but I want to stress that his run of injuries are nothing to do with our training methods.

"None of them has been the result of physical contact. He's had knee, hamstring, Achilles injuries, among other strains, and has now damaged his ankle when running with the ball.

"We ban tackling in training, and if we're playing matches in training, we stop them if the physical contact becomes a risk.

"We haven't rushed him back, and took him to Aldershot last weekend to integrate him back into the squad. Then this happens in training this week."

Edited by singe

But Hughes scored 15+ last season. Abbott's not done that recently.

I think everyone is a little wary of his injury record. But what you have to think is that Penney lives or dies (in management terms) on decisions like this and will know more about Pawel and his injury status than virtually any manager in the league. I'm guessing he knows what he's doing on this count.

If fit, he'll score goals as he's that type of player.

It's true, but it does not mean to say he is going to miss that many games for us, what if it was a genuine injury?

That is not his record for his whole career, just that time.

And as Penney worked with him, then he will know.

Interestingly, there were training method rumours! We've been there!

Also it says he is 30, I thought everyone on here said he was 26?! Is he trying to be Joan Collins and being elusve about his age!

He is 32 on 2nd December according to the site I got this from.

Abbott setback riles Penney

11 Sep 2008 - 14:16:47

Abbott setback riles PenneyDarlington striker Pawel Abbott faces a further three months on the sidelines with an ankle ligament problem.

The 30-year-old has not featured in the Quakers first team so far this term and his long list of injury problems were rumoured to be linked with the club's training regime.

However, manager Dave Penney told the Evening Gazette: "It's a huge blow for Pav and the club, but I want to stress that his run of injuries are nothing to do with our training methods.

"None of them has been the result of physical contact. He's had knee, hamstring, Achilles injuries, among other strains, and has now damaged his ankle when running with the ball.

"We ban tackling in training, and if we're playing matches in training, we stop them if the physical contact becomes a risk.

"We haven't rushed him back, and took him to Aldershot last weekend to integrate him back into the squad. Then this happens in training this week."

Reading this makes it seem like he's injury prone... which is a bigger worry than if it had just been one long standing injury :disappointed:

Reading this makes it seem like he's injury prone... which is a bigger worry than if it had just been one long standing injury :disappointed:

Maybe the treatment he received wasn't that effective. I am impressed with our physio set up . They seem very competent not only at treating injuries but in implementing an exercise regime that prevents them.

Good signing!

Good FREE signing!

I'm not going to succumb to this "injury prone, no one else will have him" mentality.

Let's wait and see, shall we?

Welcome to BP, Pawel Abbott.

Too right!

Lets play on his Polish roots too and see if we can get a few of his countrymen living in Oldham down to BP for home games.

Although, I hope we don't win many corners as they'll open a Polski Sklep there! arf arf.

<This is the 1980s calling, we would like our joke back>

I can understand people being worried by his injury record over the past cople of seasons, but I rather have him than Ormerod, Byfeild and Windass for a third of a season than all them for a whole season and i would still bet he will score more.

I think it will be a risk signing him but if he stays fit then it culd be a great risk to take.

now at least we might have a different song to sing rather than du du de du pawel abbott please no no no no no no no

should sing that song what was made in a topic about two months ago

pawel abbott oldhams number 9 or is lee hughes number 9 :grin: pawel abbotts oldhams number 10 :unsure:

We signed the lad to score the? goals, abbott, abbott

Oldham was the team he chose, Abbott, Abbott

We know the lad he is a pole he gets the ball and he scores a goal

Pawel Abbott Oldham's number 9

personally i think hes an ace player, great signing for us also a bonus of getting him for free, if you look at his goal tally hell definately score 1 or 2 for us :P. im a little weary of his injury troubles along with alot of our fans but all i have in the back of my mind is look at... spit.... Chris Porter. he had all the injuries under the sun, mainly him being a soft arse really, but look what happened to him the final season he was with us more or less injury free and scoring for fun.

A lot of our season could rest on his fitness. I think Lewis would work very well with him, or Smalley for that matter, but we need another goalscoring forward to give us alternatives and a fallback in case of injury. Aside from that I think we are getting there in terms of squad. WE need numbers still be you can see the shape.

We signed the lad to score the? goals, abbott, abbott

Oldham was the team he chose, Abbott, Abbott

We know the lad he is a pole he gets the ball and he scores a goal

Pawel Abbott Oldham's number 9

thats the one

lets use this song this year get it going so people know it and can use it because if we use du du de du its cringe worthy and s*** :grin: