Is anyone else scared...

...that our team consists mainly of mid-table league 2 players?

I'm usually very positive and optimistic in pre-season but I don't think we've signed 1 player from a higher league or 1 player that is proven even in league 1.

Whats everyone else's thoughts?

I'm usually very positive and optimistic in pre-season but I don't think we've signed 1 player from a higher league or 1 player that is proven even in league 1.

Depends what you mean by proven.

Abbott, Holdworth, Worthington, Parker have all done it for several seasons in League1 . Furman comes very highly regarded and I have no worries about him.

Jacobsen - has sone it but then an in and out last season.

Purdie & brill - undecided.

it depends how they play together as a team

No, I think it's pretty much guarenteed that we'll finish Mid-table, then anything can happen over a season which fingers crossed could get us a play off position. The thing I'm most concerned about is the 2nd string of players, most of which aren't likely to push the current crop. This leads to comfortable first teamer's who think they are secure in their positon and slack football occurs.

Depends what you mean by proven.

Abbott, Holdworth, Worthington, Parker have all done it for several seasons in League1 . Furman comes very highly regarded and I have no worries about him.

Jacobsen - has sone it but then an in and out last season.

Purdie & brill - undecided.

But Abbott, Purdie and Brill come from league 2 clubs...one of whom were relegated.

The rest are our yorkshire friends cast offs.

I think we have strengthened from last season so no I am not worried. I think the signings made by DP have been very intelligent in that he has bought players who have played at this level and players with potential. The only concern is if the players can gel and play as a team.

What did Billy Sharp ever achieve before moving to Scunny and banging in goals left right and centre? Think he had a loan spell at Rushden? Hardly reason to think he was going to do what he did.

Then you look at players like Kabba, Ormerod, Hines, Clegg etc. They all came to us from higher levels and for the most part were utter gash. Other teams in this division have proved that a together, hard working team gets results and gets out of this league. Blackpool and Scunny again are perfect proof of that.

To be honest i am a bit apprehensive abut next season. Not only because of the mediocre players we have signed but i think that rival teams in league 1 have signed better players. Teams such as Huddersfield and Tranmere have both signed players who i would have been more than happy to have at Oldham.

But Abbott, Purdie and Brill come from league 2 clubs...one of whom were relegated.

Yes but every player is someone elses cast offs.

EVen Ritche, Palmer et al.

It is as others have said, about getting them to gel as a team, pure and simple

Not all lthe signings will work, not a football team in the world that happens to.

So lets see if we can make progress from our obvious defecienies last season.

Rating signings out of 10, a lot of guesswork involved as they haven't played a competitive game for us yet. 6 is League One baseline average, 10 is best in League One.

Brill - Young, good clean sheets record in league 2 last time out, wait and see. 5

Jacobson - Showed up well with B.Rovers in this division, before a poor, injury-blighted 2008/9. A stand-out in friendlies though. 7

Worthington - Lots of experience at this level, has won a fans' player of the year award. 6

Furman - Both Bradford and Rangers fans believe he will be a hit at this level, impressive in friendlies. 8

Holdsworth - Was linked with Leeds and Millwall after rejecting a new contract at Huddersfield. He's a damn good player at this level. 7

Purdie - Have a good feeling about him, which is why I'm so eager for him to get fit. I think he's one of those players that will relish the chance to play at a higher level. Darlo fans loved him to bits. 7

Abbott - Has scored at this level before, went to L2, but only because Darlo paid 6 figures to make it so. Class. 8

Parker - The only signing I'm not so keen on, but there's talent there, somewhere. 3

Penney - Has a track record of making a team perform above and beyond the sum of its parts. Promotion and popularity have followed him at Donny & Darlo. Our best new signing. 9

Another thing is that we're getting players at good ages, either at their prime, or early-20s, so they can develop with us. Too many over-30s last season cost us I believe.

I have a good feeling about this season.

Edited by Simpo

You could argue that Manure, City et all, all buy players from clubs below their standard. When was the last time Manure bought a player from a better club than them? They buy players who display the qualities they require and improve them.

Besides, we have tried the better player route and that failed.

OK maybe we would have been better going a bit lower for players but isn't anybody else worried about some of the signings that our rivals are making?

Better quality players doesn't automatically make a better team!

Better quality players doesn't automatically make a better team!

Maybe not but it plays a huge part in teams success.

Also i don't think Penney has the contacts that some other managers have. We haven't got the infrastructure, management team or football grounf (for now) to attract good players just like other teams are.

Also i don't think Penney has the contacts that some other managers have. We haven't got the infrastructure, management team or football grounf (for now) to attract good players just like other teams are.

Ok, but why do you think that?

He seemed to do ok at both Donny and Darlington.

Ok, but why do you think that?

He seemed to do ok at both Donny and Darlington.

I just think he's not a "big" name. I know alot of people here hate Tranmere but if you had the chance to go to Tranmere with a better gorund and John Barnes, and Mcateer the, or Oldham with a small, old, dirty ground with a manager who has only ever managed in the lower leagues?

Your right, he doesn't have the contacts that sheridan did from his playing days.

In terms of exciting signings, i wish we still had shez in charge.

In terms of management, from what i've seen so far penney is the man.

I just want one positive signing that will make me believe we have a chance this season...but i doubt we'll get it.

brill may have been relegated but believe he got 10 clean sheets in 25 games not bad for bottom of the league team who were comfortably relegated. also if they hadnt have been screwed over by the league they wouldnt have gone down they would have been in mid table

brill may have been relegated but believe he got 10 clean sheets in 25 games not bad for bottom of the league team who were comfortably relegated. also if they hadnt have been screwed over by the league they wouldnt have gone down they would have been in mid table

I personally believe Brill will be a great signing and i think he's a fantastic keeper.

Im just getting my point accross that we've only signed lower league players.

I just think he's not a "big" name. I know alot of people here hate Tranmere but if you had the chance to go to Tranmere with a better gorund and John Barnes, and Mcateer the, or Oldham with a small, old, dirty ground with a manager who has only ever managed in the lower leagues?

If I had the chance to go to Tranmere, I still wouldn't go, because I'm a LATICS fan.

What makes you think Barnes is any better or that Tranmere are a better prospect?

If I had the chance to go to Tranmere, I still wouldn't go, because I'm a LATICS fan.

What makes you think Barnes is any better or that Tranmere are a better prospect?

I know i would rather Barnes training me than Penney. Also Tranmere's signings have been more exciting than ours in my opinion. Players such as Alan Mahon and John Welsh i think will prove to be better signings than Purdie and Furman.