When did football get so serious?

I remember going to the football, enjoying it and coming home and waiting eagerly for the next match, even if we lost. That's it. And this wasn't all that long ago either.

Now it's all about Trusts, roles within the club, income streams (I hate that term), development, planning, chief executives, and marketing. It's like a who's who of bull:censored: bingo.

Football has never been so dull and unimaginative.

I remember going to the football, enjoying it and coming home and waiting eagerly for the next match, even if we lost. That's it. And this wasn't all that long ago either.

Now it's all about Trusts, roles within the club, income streams (I hate that term), development, planning, chief executives, and marketing. It's like a who's who of bull:censored: bingo.

For us the day Chris Moores pulled the plug... More widely, the day the greed within the game grew and eat itself...

I see your point though..

Edited by oafc0000

Its the lack of a right winger which has killed it for me,

Oh and Kiegan Parker

For me, when the Premiergreed came about. I can remember listening to Alive and Kicking by Simpleminds as an excitable 11 year old, waiting for the coming season to start but having a niggling feeling that it will all go a bit pearshaped in the end.

Edited by jimsleftfoot

The only time I see those topics discussed regarding latics is on OWTB... Who was it who set up this site? :lol:

An interesting question would be if fans getting involved has helped or hindered ?

Not convinced fans in the form of trusts and such like have made any real impact. Maybe we should all stop worrying, crack open a tin and stop worrying :) WHat will be will be ^_^

I think that is what rummy is getting at...

Edited by oafc0000

You could apply the same to pretty much everything these days, most things are not as much fun as they used to be. I think a big factor in this is the comic-book-guy syndrome, everyone is a critic these days and has an outlet to express their opinion via the web, twitter, sms...etc.. how many tv and radio shows ask for "your input" - they aren't going to read out a message that says "the team played well and were just a bit unlucky" they are more likely to read out "we woz gash, Manager X should be sacked" as it generates interest and listeners and advertising.

It seems it is no longer acceptable to simply enjoy something it either has to be the best thing ever or the worst thing ever, there is no middle ground, the world has become black or white.

Sometime in the mid 90's when partly fuelled by Sky's every game matters marketing machine which has culminated in a culture of football being put on this pedestel that it is way more important than it actually is. This has also culminated in the rise of the premier league and the notion if you are there you are someone and if your not your nobody. We are now heading towards the business end of the season and we will be treated to the usual fair of games broadcast on tv and the ususal pictures of fans blubbering as their teams get relegated and crying tears of joy when they win a promotion.

Now I don't know about anyonelse but I always thought the strength or weekness of my football team will not make me more popular, it will not get me a promotion at work, it will not make me stronger run faster or leap higher, It will not define my popularity with the opposite sex (fortunately) or mean that I will go on holiday not have to go to work for a year.

If we get relegated this season I will be thoroughly pished off but I will get over it life will go on and hopefully so to will some of the players although I won't hate them if we go down life's to short. Perhaps football has been the victim of its own success in this respect perhaps the bubble needs not bursting but certainly deflating who knows maybe people may start to turn their backs on football to an extent as match tickets rise the top teams continue to monopolise the trophies, footballers become more detached from reality and owners even more so it will have to hit the glass ceiling at some point.

Where will it end?

Sometime in the mid 90's when partly fuelled by Sky's every game matters marketing machine which has culminated in a culture of football being put on this pedestel that it is way more important than it actually is. This has also culminated in the rise of the premier league and the notion if you are there you are someone and if your not your nobody. We are now heading towards the business end of the season and we will be treated to the usual fair of games broadcast on tv and the ususal pictures of fans blubbering as their teams get relegated and crying tears of joy when they win a promotion.

Now I don't know about anyonelse but I always thought the strength or weekness of my football team will not make me more popular, it will not get me a promotion at work, it will not make me stronger run faster or leap higher, It will not define my popularity with the opposite sex (fortunately) or mean that I will go on holiday not have to go to work for a year.

If we get relegated this season I will be thoroughly pished off but I will get over it life will go on and hopefully so to will some of the players although I won't hate them if we go down life's to short. Perhaps football has been the victim of its own success in this respect perhaps the bubble needs not bursting but certainly deflating who knows maybe people may start to turn their backs on football to an extent as match tickets rise the top teams continue to monopolise the trophies, footballers become more detached from reality and owners even more so it will have to hit the glass ceiling at some point.

Where will it end?

Football isn't a matter of life or death, it's much more important than that." — Bill Shankly

Bloody jocks did it !!!

Especially at Boundary Park.

The advent of the Internet has ruined our enjoyment of almost everything. :wink:

13 years in this nothing division?

There has always been one priceless moment of every season for me thats made going to all the poor games worth it. Not this season though.

Oh come on some of Brills gaffs have been priceless?

13 years in this nothing division?

There has always been one priceless moment of every season for me thats made going to all the poor games worth it. Not this season though.

Exactly right that, I'm hoping for a last minute winner in the sun at Yeovil that makes us safe, Even that wouldn't paper over the cracks but at least would be a buzz

It just ain't no fun anymore.

Football can be fun, but you must disregard the following:

1. Media obsession with the greedy league. I am so utterly sick of premier league managers being treated as seers and wise men, as philosophers. They are football managers, and making them out to be Plato and Nostradamus is a turn off. ("Arsene, what do you think about the world crisis?" "Sir Alex, do you think Rooney is the best player in the world, and if so, what impact can he have on the debt crisis?")

2. The club finances and the move to the promised (or otherwise) land.

3. All football politics - in which success goes to the likes of Dave Richards and Adam bloody Crozier. Enough said.

4. Dave Penney (he'll be gone soon enough, God willing).

Erm...