Sensible helpful suggestion

Some members take a bit longer than others to get used to internet forums and so on, rather than mods and admins spending a whole lot of time arguing with other posters, would helping the newer members out a bit by putting them on mod review might help? Maybe less time would be spent either helping new members make better posts or not letting them through if they are plain daft or repetitive, and everyone would be happier, including the new members who wouldn't be getting grief and would maybe learn a bit more about how forums work? It seems more sensible than the current stand off where most of the posts are squabbling or moved to a special forum.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Some members take a bit longer than others to get used to internet forums and so on, rather than mods and admins spending a whole lot of time arguing with other posters, would helping the newer members out a bit by putting them on mod review might help? Maybe less time would be spent either helping new members make better posts or not letting them through if they are plain daft or repetitive, and everyone would be happier, including the new members who wouldn't be getting grief and would maybe learn a bit more about how forums work? It seems more sensible than the current stand off where most of the posts are squabbling or moved to a special forum.

+ 1

How about you don't get to post unless rummy likes the cut of your jib? Would that work?

You're an ex-mod aren't you LL? Well if so you should be aware that the rules state: "Restating the same opinion repeatedly in the same thread or on multiple threads; badgering others that have differing opinions than your own; starting multiple threads on the same topic; and generally beating a dead horse is against forum rules."

Being repetitive IS against the rules already, maybe its time the mods actually did something about it.

This post may get me a warning, but I'm fed up with one rule for one and one rule for another.

Edited by rudemedic

You're an ex-mod aren't you LL? Well if so you should be aware that the rules state: "Restating the same opinion repeatedly in the same thread or on multiple threads; badgering others that have differing opinions than your own; starting multiple threads on the same topic; and generally beating a dead horse is against forum rules."

Being repetitive IS against the rules already, maybe its time the mods actually did something about it.

This post may get me a warning, but I'm fed up with one rule for one and one rule for another.

Maybe people should just get on with it and stop moaning. It's only a messageboard.

My wish would be to merge the forums making the main forum busier so there is plenty of interesting threads to read so you can choose to not put up with the :censored:. I think the mods seem to be a bit over zealous at enforcing certain rules and not others. Too many threads locked or moved for my liking, there is hardly any interesting discussion any more. Like it or not this is the only part of the forum which gets a decent amount of posts on a regular basis, the quality of which has sadly dropped dramatically recently. I'm pretty sure in the past the posters were on the whole left to their own devices, which made it much more interesting.

Anyway thats my 2 pennies worth not that it matters. I propose merging forums and the mods laying off a bit, then i would probably enjoy the forum a lot more again.

Come now, I proposed a very specific solution for a very specific problem, that I think would be in everyone's interest.

Puts cynical hat on.

But who is going to introduce it- the mods. Who's it going to mean more work for- the mods. They're volunteers don't you know. Can't see it happening as it will mean more work for those volunteers

Takes cynical hat off

My wish would be to merge the forums making the main forum busier so there is plenty of interesting threads to read so you can choose to not put up with the :censored:. I think the mods seem to be a bit over zealous at enforcing certain rules and not others. Too many threads locked or moved for my liking, there is hardly any interesting discussion any more. Like it or not this is the only part of the forum which gets a decent amount of posts on a regular basis, the quality of which has sadly dropped dramatically recently. I'm pretty sure in the past the posters were on the whole left to their own devices, which made it much more interesting.

Anyway thats my 2 pennies worth not that it matters. I propose merging forums and the mods laying off a bit, then i would probably enjoy the forum a lot more again.

This post highlights the fact that you can't please everyone. No point even trying. Wozz, you want all the forums merged and for the mods to 'lay off a bit'; whereas others have said they want sub-forums created for rumours and for some people to be banned.

I've stayed largely quiet recently on the main 'issues' affecting the board as, quite simply, I think it's all a bit of a storm in a teacup and had hoped that people would use their noggins a bit more than they do.

If people want to affect change, there are a couple of spaces on the mod team. By all means drop me, Ackey or Wardle a PM if you're interested. Andy's suggestion is a good one, but we simply don't have the resources to enforce it at the moment. If folk are genuinely that concerned about the site they need to put their money where their mouth is and help out.

Puts cynical hat on.

But who is going to introduce it- the mods. Who's it going to mean more work for- the mods. They're volunteers don't you know. Can't see it happening as it will mean more work for those volunteers

Takes cynical hat off

The same volunteers who (well, some of them) maintain this site so people like you can use it, free of charge, whilst also making the club money.

Wind it in.

The only small problem (and it is a very small problem) i have is with the amount of threads that are locked. For example, on matchdays there used to be all different threads about the match. But last season there was just one designated match thread which ended up getting several pages long and i simply couldn't be arsed reading it. In my opinion, lots of smaller threads are better than one big one. Just my opinion, and like i said, it is only a small problem i have.

The only small problem (and it is a very small problem) i have is with the amount of threads that are locked. For example, on matchdays there used to be all different threads about the match. But last season there was just one designated match thread which ended up getting several pages long and i simply couldn't be arsed reading it. In my opinion, lots of smaller threads are better than one big one. Just my opinion, and like i said, it is only a small problem i have.

+1

Puts cynical hat on.

Takes cynical hat off

There's nothing cynical about that. It's true to fact. You'd think we all lived together in a lair the way some people refer to us, coming up with evil plans to piss off the good doctor and his friends.

We don't. Without us OWTB would close. That's not a boast, it's a fact. Do we do a perfect job? Hell no. But we try to learn from our mistakes, which isn't easy as you will never please everyone - in this thread for example someone calls for less forums when last week people were calling for more (the rumours forum) - so we can't win and so we stopped trying. We now do what we think is best for the forum and OAFC.

We don't ask for blind loyalty and welcome suggestions, offers of help and more (via PM to any member of staff) from any member.

E4E/24hrs - thanks for the comment, we'll consider it (although I would point out that just because it's five post in 5 threads and not 25 in one thread doesn't make it less posts - just more faffing about! :wink: ).

+1