Latics Chairman Stands Down

new investment will come in soon i belive and bp will be build i knowed he was going to leave but i could not post this for legal reason.

RA i hope you have some good inside knowledge on this (frogot to quote john wardle bit..)

can we put this bull :censored: in the rumours section and way from serious discussions please.

RA has been correct on numerous occassions and is a regular around the club apparently. May have truth in it.

People are saying now relegation battle next season.. well technically no, because the season hasnt started yet, bournemouth got promoted without being able to sign players, not even filling a bench. Hopefully new investment is in soon (step forward john wardle hopeful..y)

• Replies 241
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Micah richards....pack yer bags......PRONTO!

Speaking of which...who devised the sell-on clause? In future, could we please have a sell-on clause and a clause saying you pay £11 million for so many 1st team appearances at such and such a level, or so much for x appearances at another level. That way, we could get money even if a player stays at the same club.

Yes, tta kept us alive for another 7 years but what was/is their motive. They have no ties to the North West

, they are based in America, they are property devolpers and shrewd buisness men. So many Latics fans treated them like saviours of the highest when they arrived, Why did they come? Did they decide lets save this football club because it is dying and it has a few thousand fans who would be upset if it went to the wall or did they see the amount of land in and around BP and the club also having a few players it could sell on for a bit of cash and we could make quite a bit of money from the poor clubs situation.

I really believe that the credit crunch bit them on the arse because before the crunch developers would have been bidding left, right and centre for the amount of land available at BP, whilst now no major development/building companys are buying at the prices that the TTA would have estimated 7 years ago.

Yes, tta kept us alive for another 7 years but what was/is their motive. They have no ties to the North West

, they are based in America, they are property devolpers and shrewd buisness men. So many Latics fans treated them like saviours of the highest when they arrived, Why did they come? Did they decide lets save this football club because it is dying and it has a few thousand fans who would be upset if it went to the wall or did they see the amount of land in and around BP and the club also having a few players it could sell on for a bit of cash and we could make quite a bit of money from the poor clubs situation.

I really believe that the credit crunch bit them on the arse because before the crunch developers would have been bidding left, right and centre for the amount of land available at BP, whilst now no major development/building companys are buying at the prices that the TTA would have estimated 7 years ago.

As romantic as it sounds, a prolific Oldham businessman with an open chequebook in the mould of Jack Walker just doesn't exist. Anyone coming to invest in the side will be to see what they can get out of it.

Last time? Ah, you mean because the council owned the land? Yes, true but the deal in place was for it to be sold back to OAFC for the same price for X years. We were protected. Once they bought it under OAFC and whipped it off into Brassbank (for Tax reasons etc people like to suggest) our land was effectively gone...let's see what happens now.

I'm aware of all that. Nevertheless, what transpired was the favourable (realistic) scenario at the time. After all, the land was, actually, "effectively" gone once we sold it. Not once the opportunity to buy it for £x million whilst on the brink of financial oblivion was gone, or indeed half-taken, as the case was.

You appear to believe that Blitz ought to have bought the land for the club as some kind of goodwill gesture? Then what? Sell the now valuable land owning club to Mr Y for £x million, that being the same Mr Y who wasn't interested in the club at £500k (or whatever) and the very same land off the council at the £x million, perhaps? The land was bought with the intention of developing it and releasing its value for the good of every stakeholder. That was the goodwill gesture and it was as good as it was going to get, so as for whatever happens now, c'est la vie!

The bee in your bonnet is born out of your disdain and suspicion toward the Failsworth project. Ironically, if Blitz does 'do the dirty' and keeps his land for himself, the Failsworth move would have suddenly looked pretty appetising even to you.

At the end of the day there's no doubt TTA made mistakes, they will know that themselves and am sure would do things differently given their time, and money, again.

You want the SAME discussion about Shez managing another mans team again??? Let's keep it on topic eh!

It can't be denied that the club's decline has accelerated, in pretty much every aspect I can think of, since his sacking. And it isn't because he "spent the last of the money", or whatever.

If only some fans hadn't 'known', and been saying, and quoting themselves as doing so, just how incredible his playing budget was, perhaps the bandwagon which drove him out wouldn't have grown. :rolleyes:

I believe they saw an opportunity to fulfil an ambition of owning a football club, seeing the land and it's potential as the means by which to do it at the right money.

After all, they had apparently looked at Hull City too.

Without fans what is there?

If a shop has no customers it closes.

People dont buy shops out of love, Oldham Athletic was never a profit making organisation. Theres a big difference.

If you wnat to make money dont't buy a third division football club

john has been in talks since dickov got the job he was seen at trainning ground.

Really?? Brilliant! By who and when?

I guess that RoyleArmy saw him, I believe RA is a regular visitor at the training ground.

However if he knows what John Wardle looks like he knows much more than I do.

Edited by laticsrblue

If they wanted to screw the club they would have done it 7 years ago and saved the expense.

IT amazes me that people don't see this. They needn't have funded the playing budget that we have had for the last 7 years and let us slide down the leagues if they liked. Not saying they weren;t looking to make money out of the whole thing but they certainly haven;t acted to maximise profits. Did they decide they had to keep appearances up for the best part of a decade so people weren't nasty about them?

Key point.

Who owns Boundary Park? Who's building houses behind the chaddy? Who owns the lancaster club and surrounding land?

I bet that Oldham Athletic (2004) Ltd. Do not.

Without the land, the club is assetless. At this point I dont care whether its Boundary Park or the Lancaster Club but the club needs to own some land itself. Rather than Brass "Blitz" Bank.

Just on that point, I spoke to the club for an investor looking to purchase multiple Houses once built, and I got an email Back from Simon Blitz to say he would be dealing directly with discounted property and to point them in his direction.... not the developers !!!

I'm aware of all that. Nevertheless, what transpired was the favourable (realistic) scenario at the time. After all, the land was, actually, "effectively" gone once we sold it. Not once the opportunity to buy it for £x million whilst on the brink of financial oblivion was gone, or indeed half-taken, as the case was.

You appear to believe that Blitz ought to have bought the land for the club as some kind of goodwill gesture? Then what? Sell the now valuable land owning club to Mr Y for £x million, that being the same Mr Y who wasn't interested in the club at £500k (or whatever) and the very same land off the council at the £x million, perhaps? The land was bought with the intention of developing it and releasing its value for the good of every stakeholder. That was the goodwill gesture and it was as good as it was going to get, so as for whatever happens now, c'est la vie!

The bee in your bonnet is born out of your disdain and suspicion toward the Failsworth project. Ironically, if Blitz does 'do the dirty' and keeps his land for himself, the Failsworth move would have suddenly looked pretty appetising even to you.

At the end of the day there's no doubt TTA made mistakes, they will know that themselves and am sure would do things differently given their time, and money, again.

Agree with the bit in bold. It's what we marched for. The recession had started by then and became a handy excuse...people point to it as to why Oldham Arena was binned, but when the march happened land value was already dropping. Oldham Arena was grossly oversized and should've been made into a more sustainable project staged over years, but it wasn't because Oldham Arena was never going to happen...the march was designed to gain planning permission at BP, not to build there but to increase the land value so they could sell it and move us to Failsworth. In essence, Oldham Arena was a con.

Yes they came here wanting to make a go of it. I felt for them at the start and for sometime after as all their efforts were going to waste. But then they started becoming part of the problem. The apathy they cried about within Oldham clouded the boardroom. Then they decided to begin their exit strategy and the 1st trick was the planning permission we all thought we were getting to redevelop BP.

I've always maintained, I'd have no choice but to accept Failsworth. Some have walked or now pick their games. I've been content as long as they at least kept us competitive. They've failed to do that. And have scaled back endlessly in every area and wonder why more hardcore fans have walked...they've fed the problem rather than solved it. I'm still here...they ain't! How much are they prepared to write off now? Will they just leave us for the wolves? Something they said they'd never do? We shall see eh!

Edited by boundaryblue80

... Oldham Arena was never going to happen...the march was designed to gain planning permission at BP, not to build there but to increase the land value so they could sell it and move us to Failsworth. In essence, Oldham Arena was a con.

... Then they decided to begin their exit strategy and the 1st trick was the planning permission we all thought we were getting to redevelop BP.

BB I agree with you on many of your points but I doubt that TTA spent many many hours of their own time and paid architects to plan a stadium that was never going to be built, simply to get planning permission for the rest of the land.

I am willing to accept that Failsworth was plan B and never plan A.

It is a worry, not least because Blitz seemed the bigger football fan of all them.

I echo the thanks to Simon especially, but also Danny.

I worry about the speed of departure.

I worry about who owns the club.

Lets hope this is not another downward spiral, its alla bit strange.

BB I agree with you on many of your points but I doubt that TTA spent many many hours of their own time and paid architects to plan a stadium that was never going to be built, simply to get planning permission for the rest of the land.

I am willing to accept that Failsworth was plan B and never plan A.

How else would they have gained planning permission for it at BP without producing the plans to begin with? How quickly did Failsworth come after the march? 6 months...if that! In that time Lancaster Gate was well on its way to being bought, if it wasn't already. Far too quick to suggest anything other than Oldham Arena being a con.

Edited by boundaryblue80

How else would they have gained planning permission for it at BP without producing the plans to begin with? How quickly did Failsworth come after the march? 6 months...if that! In that time Lancaster Gate was well on its way to being bought, if it wasn't already. Far too quick to suggest anything other than Oldham Arena being a con.

The march was in November 2007

Lookers was demolished in May/June 2008

Oldham Arena was mothballed later in 2008

Failsworth was announced on 22nd July 2009

20 months....

Edited by oafcprozac

"You reckon many wealthy businessmen would be interested in a 3rd division football club with dwindling attendances and a dilapidated stadium in one of the poorest towns in the country, on the doorstep of the world’s richest club and one of the worlds biggest?"

How much has really changed? Oldham's always been poor. The red scum were one of the worlds biggest and richest, :censored:ty have always had large support that could be galvanised with an investor (as has happened.) We've been 3rd division and generally dwindling for over a decade ( rose under CM but under Ritchie had attendances we've seen of late) and the stadium has been decaying bit by bit for years also. Nothing's new...the only difference now is that the land we had, our biggest asset (the real reason TTA came!), they bought back off the council and stuck straight into Brassbank...what happens to our only prized asset they removed from OAFC now? Well...what's left of it, after the bits that have already been sold off to Tom, Dick and HARRY for building to start on...

I'd like to know a certain persons take on this. Was on here earlier but hasn't commented, or responded to any of the questions directed towards him about the houses being built at the back of the Chaddy.

Why must it have been a con?

They may have had interest in the Failsworth land for housing etc while having BP re-developed.. Nothing wrong with having other plans in case the first one messes up..

Latics fans are to suspicious of people.

The march was in November 2007

Lookers was demolished in May/June 2008

Oldham Arena was mothballed later in 2008

Failsworth was announced on 22nd July 2010

20 months....

You and your facts, you crazy sod! :wink:

This whole scenario has happened very quickly indeed.

No Latics cash crisis – Corney

Reporter: MATTHEW CHAMBERS

Date online: 12/05/2010

Director scotches administration and pull-out rumours

ATHLETIC managing director Simon Corney has denied that the club is about to be placed into administration.

Quote.......Crippling financial losses during a season of drastically low attendances at Boundary Park have led to worries over a potential pull-out by the three owners Corney, chairman Simon Blitz and Danny Gazal.

Rumours have also abounded that players did not receive bonus payments owed to them in last month's wage packet.

But Corney reassured fans that the trio's commitment to the club is strong.

We either have some new investment looming or there has been major differences behind the scenes...Let's hope it's the former!!!!

I'd like to thank Simon Blitz and Danny for trying, and for sinking so much into the club. And I'd like to thank Simon Corney for his commitment in staying - for however long that may be.

i think that goes for nearly every latics fan ,and thank you simon for all the hard work you put in at latics ,all the fans appreciate

what you have done to keep the club running