Jarrett signs

http://www.oldhamathletic.co.uk/page/NewsU...2100079,00.html

Slightly underwhelmed that we couldn't find better tbh. We are basically signing a midfielder, released from Brighton and Port Vale and playing him in defence. To be honest I haven't seen him in pre season and I will trust Dickov's judgement. But I was hoping we would sign a true centre back, one who would push Hazell for his place because he got a bit complacent and sloppy at times last season.

Edited by PlayItLivo

Slightly underwhelmed that we couldn't find better tbh. We are basically signing a midfielder, released from Brighton and Port Vale and playing him in defence. To be honest I haven't seen him in pre season and I will trust Dickov's judgement. But I was hoping we would sign a true centre back, one who would push Hazell for his place because he got a bit complacent and sloppy at times last season.

He has looked good to me pre season and thought he did well for us when here. Like you say the journeyman in him is a worry but his composure at CB has been impressive. Happy with this, not too committal. Could be a threat with dead balls and maybe a target at corners. At least it brings the average height of our side up a bit. Could be a lot worse such as a Seb Hines on loan (shudders)

or Lord Kangana back?

Wasn't gregan a centre back who was converted from Central Midfield? And Desailly?!

Obviously Jarrett will be better than those two. In Dickov we trust....

Edited by pukka

and there your arguement falls down

I know what you mean about Brighton and PV but I have seen him (only 60 minutes granted) against Wigan and i thought he looked the part. Pretty quick read the game well, passed it out of defence which dictated the way we played the game and brought Stephens into things straight away. He put some very good tackles in and is taller than I remember.

I think the deal is perfect for the club, if he maintains it sign him up and if he doesn't fire him off.

Only 60 minutes I know but i think he could be more than back up

What arguement [sic]? :dntknw:

I think you are a bit paranoid son.

"ar·gu·ment (ärgy-mnt)

n.

a. A discussion in which disagreement is expressed; a debate.

b. A quarrel; a dispute.

c. Archaic A reason or matter for dispute or contention: "sheath'd their swords for lack of argument" (Shakespeare).

a. A course of reasoning aimed at demonstrating truth or falsehood: presented a careful argument for extraterrestrial life.b. A fact or statement put forth as proof or evidence; a reason: The current low mortgage rates are an argument for buying a house now.

c. A set of statements in which one follows logically as a conclusion from the others.

a. A summary or short statement of the plot or subject of a literary work.

b. A topic; a subject: "You and love are still my argument" (Shakespeare)."

I know what you mean about Brighton and PV but I have seen him (only 60 minutes granted) against Wigan and i thought he looked the part. Pretty quick read the game well, passed it out of defence which dictated the way we played the game and brought Stephens into things straight away. He put some very good tackles in and is taller than I remember.

I think the deal is perfect for the club, if he maintains it sign him up and if he doesn't fire him off.

Only 60 minutes I know but i think he could be more than back up

This was my biggest worry when I saw that he signed.

Last time he was here I rated him as an attacking midfielder but I don't remember him offering much defensively and he was certainly on the small side for a midfielder let alone a defender.

Still, pre-season reports sound promising and I'd happily be proven wrong. Welcome back JJ!

Think this is a very sensible decision. We've signed an experienced player, who is demonstrably eager to impress and has an incentive to do so, on a deal that doesn't break the bank and that allows us to plug a hole in the squad. While I'd love us to be signing up-and-coming youngsters (the next Fitz Hall) we need someone ready to step in right now.

Edited by Crusoe

Meh- its one of them, we've signed him as a bit of cover, who can maybe push someone out of the way for a first team role. He's not going to be on much, he's versatile (always a plus in those who aren't guaranteed first team spots) and whilst there may be better out there its more than likely they will have been snapped up (or be beyond our price range). Plus instead of performances improving in March/April in the hope they get a new contract he will be starting to buck his ideas up in November.

I didn't see the game a couple of years ago where we won 4-1 and Jarrett apparently took someone apart but he looked useful as a midfielder then, and from accounts looks like capable cover at centre half. Welcome back Jason (I'm not going to call him JJ- we have one of those already).

Oh how times have changed.

If you'd asked me if I wanted to sign Jarrett following his first loan spell, I'd have said no as I felt we could do better.

Today, I'm actually quite pleased as he's an improvement to the squad.

Think Jarrett will be a useful addition to the squad. Seems to have done great at the back, well done for whoever spotted that! He has a bit of talent and pace as well should we need to use him elsewhere.

That said we have signed a midfielder as cover for defence, while he has done well there might be a time when his lack of experience may cost us an unecessary goal or two that a regular defender wouldn't.