Tranmere 1-2 Latics -- Post Game Thread

Great performance away from home. Loved how we were very positive and determined. We looked a much better side than Tranmere who are in for a very hard season.

Upfront we weren't much really. Tounkara may need a game or two to get sharper, he always seemed to be delayed. Feeney looked decent, very similar to how Paul Warne played for us. That'll make him a favourite round here.

Furman and Stephens were the main difference today, bossed the midfield. Furman would have easily been MOM if it wasn't for Stephens goals. Allessandra did well but he needs to do better to keep Taylor out of the team. Jones started off well, put in a great cross early on but then lost his way a bit.

Defence and Brill were very solid, dealt with Enoch very well, good to see Hazell back to his best! Lee had a few dodgy moments but other than that put in a fantastic tackle near the end.

Very promising performance indeed. Might come unstuck against teams with a bit more quality but we'll certainly give them a game. The conceded goal was a shame, we didn't deserve that really.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I liked Tounkare! He was a right pain to deal with for Tranmere, and created some chances for himself through sheer strength and effort.

Rough and ready, yes, but something to work with.

btw, he had "TOU KAR " on his shirt today, as we have run out of Ns and Es! :D

Should make it a song. "Tou-kar, Tou-kar, he hasn't got any (NE), he hasn't got any, he hasn't got any" (To Yellow Submarine)

Makes next to no sense as a song, which is why I like it so much.

Great performance away from home. Loved how we were very positive and determined. We looked a much better side than Tranmere who are in for a very hard season.

Upfront we weren't much really. Tounkara may need a game or two to get sharper, he always seemed to be delayed. Feeney looked decent, very similar to how Paul Warne played for us. That'll make him a favourite round here.

Furman and Stephens were the main difference today, bossed the midfield. Furman would have easily been MOM if it wasn't for Stephens goals. Allessandra did well but he needs to do better to keep Taylor out of the team. Jones started off well, put in a great cross early on but then lost his way a bit.

Defence and Brill were very solid, dealt with Enoch very well, good to see Hazell back to his best! Lee had a few dodgy moments but other than that put in a fantastic tackle near the end.

Very promising performance indeed. Might come unstuck against teams with a bit more quality but we'll certainly give them a game. The conceded goal was a shame, we didn't deserve that really.

can learn from that and be assured that dickov will work hard on the training ground

Brill - Solid, kicking started off ok, handled backpasses ok. Initial thought was could have saved the header but need to see the replay.

Lee - Started off marking big Enoch whilst everything was punted towards him, grew into game, defended well and good going forward, Jones should have used him on the overlap more.

Hazell - Immense, won everything against big Enoch after the first 10 minutes, Cruff turns the lot, showed a lot of passion, just wish he'd lay it simple, his long passes are shocking.

Jarrett - Solid, long balls hit and miss, ok in the air, swept up well.

Black - Very solid, did well attacking, much improved from last time i saw him.

Jones - hmm....poor crosses, didnt use Lee, looked disinterested but would then go in strong in a tackle....preferred being central.

Furman - Started slowly but ran it in the 2nd half, swept up everything, passed it forwards well, tackled like a demon.

Stephens - Class...will be awesome when playing with better players which it pains me to say it he will unless we get a contract under his nose tonight.

Alessandra - Impressive, tricky, skilful, pacy, great awareness, very rarely lost the ball....didnt win the 50-50s but would Messi?

Feeney - Very intelligent, could have done with more support from Tankoure, will be a good link up player.

Tankoure - Erratic but expected, could have a stormer or a shocker and you couldnt predict, looked knackered after 30 mins but kept going. Much better chasing through balls rather than having to hold up the ball.

Kelly - reminds me of Warney, battled for everything....will start midweek i reckon.

Tranmere were shocking but plenty for us to look forward to.....

Good post mate, agree with the majority of it but couldn't be arsed typing it all out so hat off to you. As for the bit about Jones I have to say that, without putting a downer on an overall cracking performance, thought he was a bit of a wet lettuce today...

You were well-drilled and did enough. Solid defence and reasonable midfield- we played like a bunch of non-league scrappers trying to compete with a well-prepared League One side.

If Feeney and Eaves stay fit, you have a good outfit there. Mid table to top half I'd say. As for us, well our chairman needs to put his finger out and stop making mahooooosive cuts to our budget- all bar five or six of our squad today are not League One standard.

At least ITM said farewell on a high eh :lol:

Good post mate, agree with the majority of it but couldn't be arsed typing it all out so hat off to you. As for the bit about Jones I have to say that, without putting a downer on an overall cracking performance, thought he was a bit of a wet lettuce today...

Only really typed it cos i was chuffed with the result, would probably have been different if we'd been spanked!!

You were well-drilled and did enough. Solid defence and reasonable midfield- we played like a bunch of non-league scrappers trying to compete with a well-prepared League One side.

If Feeney and Eaves stay fit, you have a good outfit there. Mid table to top half I'd say. As for us, well our chairman needs to put his finger out and stop making mahooooosive cuts to our budget- all bar five or six of our squad today are not League One standard.

Have to say fella, what was with the long ball? No-one impressed for your team, bar the sub you brought on who is tiny but seems to have a decent left peg. Can see you struggling this season unfortunately...shame as it'd be 1 less north-west team and there aren't any left in the league.

Excellent write up from b0ndl1ne...saved a lot of us writing up...I even felt Furman showed himself more today. Jones hasn't impressed me in pre-season much and was vdery disappointing today. Early days...I don't think he's a right winger for a start. Got a sneaky suspicion Purdie might not be heading for the exit just yet, but we'll see how that plays out.

Said to many today in the pub before that I don't see where our goals are coming from, with Stephens being the only one I can see netting. Both strikers are unfit and not sure they've goals in them and we've let 1 goalscorer go and the potential of Eaves looks to be leaving too. I hope we don't have to rely on Stephens all season...especially as a few more performances like that and we could be minus another player before Sept 1st.

Good 3pts against a side who'll struggle to stay up...49pts to our first target :wink:

How did the Sunderland striker look?

Bambi on ice.

Not fit to lace the boots of King Pav.

Decent performance but we did look a little light up top, Feeney held the ball well, turned well at time as well but I hope he doesn't come too deep at home as we need him in the box. I think we need another striker to partner him consistently, so let's not sell Eaves and let Feeney and Eaves be the strike force. I think our midfield played the ball well today, Furman ran his socks off in the centre and overall was our best midfielder. Alessandra tried but I just don't think he has the ability. As I said that Sunderland lad looks pretty naff, I dunno if he was nervous but he missed a good chance when the keeper was stranded off his line and it was just Ian Goodison in front on Tounkara. His touch was pretty appalling too. Kelly on the other hand looked okay when he came on, held the ball well at the end and like Feeney was able to turn and play the simple pass to midfield. Stephens looked composed as ever, and took both goals extremely well. His contract has to be sorted out soon, surely? The defence did their job, but maybe were a little too fussy at times trying neat touches when under pressure, if Showunmi wasn't so crap he might have been able to catch them out. Jones isn't a wide midfielder imo, but he linked up with Lee very well.

A positive performance overall, I think our chance creation could have been better. We did well playing in between the lines but couldn't create a magic tough to make chances for Feeney or Tounkara.

Edited by PlayItLivo

Excellent write up from b0ndl1ne...saved a lot of us writing up...I even felt Furman showed himself more today. Jones hasn't impressed me in pre-season much and was vdery disappointing today. Early days...I don't think he's a right winger for a start. Got a sneaky suspicion Purdie might not be heading for the exit just yet, but we'll see how that plays out.

Said to many today in the pub before that I don't see where our goals are coming from, with Stephens being the only one I can see netting. Both strikers are unfit and not sure they've goals in them and we've let 1 goalscorer go and the potential of Eaves looks to be leaving too. I hope we don't have to rely on Stephens all season...especially as a few more performances like that and we could be minus another player before Sept 1st.

Good 3pts against a side who'll struggle to stay up...49pts to our first target :wink:

Nice to put a face to a name and yes I did find my hubby too eventually....lol

yes a little worrying that the goals came from not the front two however, good to see they can come from midfield too. Agree with the Stephens comment - I think he could be a gonner before Eaves as I rate him more.

Just hope we can get some width sorted now and that Brookey recovers quickly (saw him come on at the end on his crutches - bless and gave Stephens a manly hug.....)

Its a start we all hoped for and needed. I hope the momentum continues

I think Tounkara should be cut a bit of slack - at the minute. Not sure how much of a pre-season game time the lad has had, and has only been with the lads for a few days. Am sure there will be a 'settling in' time for him. Was good however to hear we created a few chances. Hopefully the lads can continue building confidence and therefore improving the football. :grin:

Your number 8 didn't look that bad.

I wish i could say something else positive to you.....

Getting back to us...what was great about today was how different it felt to last season. The fans weren't as negative (yeah i know early days), we seemed to have learnt the art of passing it forwards, and it was great to think, at 2-0, "come on we can get 3 here", rather than "still not safe" and waiting for the opposition to equalise.

Eaves being fit won't be any of our concern shortly.

glad to see the result and a win. it might be at tranmere where we always seem to get a result but i can see us giving scunny a game going off comments on here.

quicky, how was alessandra on the wing? was shocked to see him there and with jones on the other side, we dont have any proper wingers?