Latics 1-1 Bristol Rovers

Mvoto had a nightmare first half and was caught out too easily on numerous occasions, Taggart must have had a quiet word in his ear at half time because he was much better after the break.

Tounkare is the most annoying forward ive seen since Ricketts (feet do not recieve signals from the brain) and as for THAT miss.

Dikaba played well i thought, it is pleasing to see us play with plenty of width and with Taylor showing some signs of him old self after his goal he could be like a new signing.

Kelly reminds me alot of Dickov with the way he hurrys defenders into every pass, he ran himself into the ground and rightly deserved the applauds he recieved when he went off.

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

U

Brill was in no man's land. Jarrett did what he should have done and got between the forward and the goal and brill should be on the line. Kelly held the ball up well and brought other players Into the game

As I said, Brill was in no man's land because when the ball was bouncing towards goals and he expected the head back. Even if Brill stayed rooted to his line like you wanted, Hoskins still would have gone through one and one and probably scored. Either way it's Mvoto's and Jarrett's fault, not Brill's. Brill anticipated the head back so he came short to collect it, Mvoto made the dogs dinner of it.

When the ball was played to Kelly's feet with his back to the defender he could turn, he couldn't do anything, he usually ran back a few yards then just passed it to the nearest man, but then failed to charge into the box. I'm not hating on him, he just doesn't look cut out for this level. Take Bristol Rovers strikers, they caused our back lines plenty of problems, that Hoskins isn't a big lad he clowned the biggest player on the pitch, by contrast Kelly looks a million miles away from that and Brizzle's defence weren't anything spectacular.

We need a goalscorer in, it's the final piece of the jigsaw, an out and out striker could have buried one of those crosses we put in, he might have read a couple of Tounkara's flick ons and gone through on goal.

I'm worried about the defence but as soon as Gregan and Hazell are back all shall be well.

Edited by PlayItLivo

I thought that about Taylor too. Before his goal he did cock all, but as soon as he scored he started to look like he was interested again.

Have to say too. All the gob:censored:es in the rocky road end next to the away fans.... If there was one above 14 years old I'll eat my arse! Nice to see the next generation coming through though. Even if they are going to be the next generation of hooligans!!!

Moved back to uni today so didn't make the game.

Tad harsh perhaps, but I can believe those who have mentioned M'voto and Kelly. M'voto reminds me of Terrell Forbes every time the ball come near him. He's naive and needs to learn quickly. He's young, new and in a very young side making similar errors so I won't knock him too much. And obviously I didn't see the game today so I can't fully say much.

Kelly, even on Tuesday, looked out of his depth. However, he's new to our game and profesional football so again I'll hold criticism until I see more of him.

On the result, we've let ourselves down in my estimation. I mean, it's a brilliant start to still be unbeaten, and we're higher than I thought we'd be what with our budget, but Dicko said himself "we've set our standards". Yeovil got smashed 4-0 this week, Rovers 4-0 last week. I'm slightly disappointed, but there's no way we can too heavy what with the age of the squad, the man in charge and our budget.

We're gonna have to dig deep in our next four games, but we held Charlton comfortably so I think we can notch wins up.

Have to say too. All the gob:censored:es in the rocky road end next to the away fans.... If there was one above 14 years old I'll eat my arse! Nice to see the next generation coming through though. Even if they are going to be the next generation of hooligans!!!

It sounded like the school choir when they started singing from where i was sitting in the Chaddy :grin:

On the result, we've let ourselves down in my estimation. I mean, it's a brilliant start to still be unbeaten, and we're higher than I thought we'd be what with our budget, but Dicko said himself "we've set our standards". Yeovil got smashed 4-0 this week, Rovers 4-0 last week. I'm slightly disappointed, but there's no way we can too heavy what with the age of the squad, the man in charge and our budget.

So where will we end the season?

At the start I suggested 12th-18th.

After the first two games I revised it to 7th-12th.

At present I'm in the 10th to 16th phase at the moment!

But we have failed to beat sides that others have taken apart. So it's a warning.

I thought that about Taylor too. Before his goal he did cock all, but as soon as he scored he started to look like he was interested again.

Quite a lot are above 14.

Also without them, there would be no singing at all for majority of the game

"I'm pretty disappointed with that tbh, despite loads of pressure Brill still made the more telling saves, our shots were mainly off-target pot-shots - Stephens sneaky free-kick aside. We created sod all in the box and our crossing was pisspoor. That's two weeks on the trot we have been thankful to Brill for us gaining a point."

That summs it up for me as well.

Troubl;e is we didn't create one clear goal attemp, plenty of long range shots, plenty of long crosses, plenty of near misses but I never saw one clever pass that put either the donkey or the Irishman through on goal.

Tunkare is pants. Oh for Viv Halom, Jim Fryatt or Frankie Bunn.

His missus may have been a good player too....but i'd prefer vic every time! :grin:

Dowie is a tw*t

not really...if you look at the chances created brill made at least 4 top class saves if i remember correctly,they managed to hit the underside of our crossbar and we got away with that..

stupid sloppy goal to conced against the run of play,very unlucky not to have gone in at half time 2-1,if we had i think flood gates may well have opened..

cant be dissapointed after watching that,the most exciting 1-1 game i have seen in ages...even chris taylor did really well today,was willing to run and take on defender and a classy finish for the goal...

i hope the gaffer has a really good think over the weekend and comes up with an idea of getting in a decent finisher on loan...were crying out for some class who knows how to gamble and go for goal...thought bembo was excellent on right wing...

we had something like 20 odd shots,and 1 goal....says it all but can fault the commitment and desire today,much better than yeovil....were one decent striker away from a plyoof spot..

not really...if you look at the chances created brill made at least 4 top class saves if i remember correctly,they managed to hit the underside of our crossbar and we got away with that..

stupid sloppy goal to conced against the run of play,very unlucky not to have gone in at half time 2-1,if we had i think flood gates may well have opened..

cant be dissapointed after watching that,the most exciting 1-1 game i have seen in ages...even chris taylor did really well today,was willing to run and take on defender and a classy finish for the goal...

i hope the gaffer has a really good think over the weekend and comes up with an idea of getting in a decent finisher on loan...were crying out for some class who knows how to gamble and go for goal...thought bembo was excellent on right wing...

we had something like 20 odd shots,and 1 goal....says it all but can fault the commitment and desire today,much better than yeovil....were one decent striker away from a plyoof spot..

It was the new boy

You're always going to get kids giving the v's near the away fans. It's not exactly Millwall away though is it.

My view on todays came (and thats all it is, is my view)

I thought we came out very poorly, it was like the players had been told to pass less than previous games and try more direct. I dont think this worked and in the second half we came out passing like we have been doing in previous weeks.

I think overall though, we should have won and couldve won if it wasnt for some bad misses and some brave defending from Bristol. I think they were a bunch of time wasters and had no right to complain about 8 minutes injury time.

I think its amazing to see how different the players we had last season are performing, for instance, last season, i thought Furman ran around like a headless chicken (maybe it was Penneys tactics) but this year he seems to be more controlling in central mid. I think vocally he would have been a better captain today than Dale Stephens. Lee for me has always shown quality and has now been given a chance he is taking it and holdin his place.

Thought Mvoto and Jarrett had a shakey start, but second half they were solid.

I think Dikaba was great today, hugged the touchline well, showed some great touches and found a lot of space, and in my opinion i think Dickov was wrong to take him off, although he probably isnt fully match fit.

I think Tounkara is a good player, great hold up play and is working a harder than i thought he would. Think he needs to put a couple in the net to build his confidence, but I also think he needs some work on his heading in training. We wouldve been out of sight if he had put his 2 chances away.

Am glad we bagged just before half time as the fans werent as critical/booing. I think if we play like we did in the second half and Kelly starts finding his shooting boots, we will be unstoppable

Dissapointed with a draw but lots of positives.

It was the new boy

oops...my bad...lol.i have recently taken to wearing glasses,lol

looked ok though,found absolutely acres of space on the flank,had a good touch think he would do ok...going off what i heard aound the ground today,the other lad we have on trial looks a better prospect,chilean is it???

just gutted we couldnt finish...thats all were missing,a quality striker....ala beckett abbott or hughes type who causes problem,like there big lad did when he came on

This was my first game for a while, and on the whole considering the slating the team gets on here sometimes I thought we played well.

I think there are a whole load of positives considering where we were, but also for the future.

I agree that i think Taylor was being a bit soft, scored and then bucked up, and they had obviously worked on the long pass and him heading it in to the box, so where was the player running on to it?

I was a bit dissapointed that although we did really well in the 2nd half the crossing was telegraphed a bit.

But as didn't know what to expect, and after last year I think we should have won, had the chances to, but we have plenty of potential and we will get better.

I will be delighted to be pushing for a play off place at the end of the season, and if we keep the team together - as its only young I think we will be alright.

Now we need a few more fans coming and we'll be ok.

Also Latics now have another fan as I took my little one, and it wasn't half as bad as I thought and a Latics kit is on the "asked for" christmas list :grin:

He was the squeaky come on Oldham you could all hear in the RRE!

Ponte

Brill - from where i was sat in the RRE he looked well out of position for the goal, dodgy kicking in the first half but made a few fine saves in the second. Loved the way he had a right go at dickov for givin the ball away! - 7

Lee - really impressed me, linked up well with dikaba. Comfortable on the ball - 8

Jarrett - had a bit of a shaky start and got caught for pace a couple of times. Again comfortable with the ball at his feet - 7

M'voto - he's big and strong, and could bully the forwards off the ball all day, but he's one of the most unconventional CB's iv seen - 6

Black - not his best game today, there was at least 3 times Bristol rovers players just walked past him with ease. goes forward well - 6

Dikaba - (i spent the first half thinking it was Bembo-Leta playing RW) looked good, nice touch, its about time we had a winger who hugs the touchline as it seems every other team who visits BP has one. if he can sort his final ball out we have a really good player there! - 8

Furman - was quality, we're finally starting to see the player bradford and rangers fans thought we'd signed! Real box-to-box, and has a nice range of passing, MOM by a mile - 9

Stephens - decent, involved in most of our play, game bypassed him a bit in the first half as we tried long ball too often. - 7

Taylor - rubbish until he scored, went down like a sack of spuds for no reason in 1st half. his confidence grew massively after the goal and he started taking on the full backs again. hopefully he’ll push on - 7

Kelly - thought he played well. some nice touches, held the ball up well at times. still has work to do to prove himself at this level but i think he could make it! -7

Tounkare - tried too many flicks and tricks, just felt like it didn’t fall into place for him today. He will get better as the season goes on. - 6

Overall im disappointed that we didn’t win but pleased at the performance (particularly 2nd half). its much more enjoyable at BP this season after the disaster of last year! we're still short of an out and out goal scorer and a CB with pace (trialist maybe?) to have a proper go at promotion but i think we'll finish top half comfortably.

I thought throughout the game we looked to play the game as Dickov has wanted us to do, we were a bit slow from the start making mistakes but you could still see we weren't far off getting it right. The free kick was great, reminded me of Taylor's effort against Millwall a couple of seasons back, I had thought we had messed it up completely but Taylor was in the right place at the right time and what a finish!

Furman was easily MOTM today, constantly battling to win the ball, putting in some great passes and whenever the ball came out of the box it always seemed to fall to Furman.

Taylor had a much better game, awesome goal and was much more of a threat, he seemed to burn out in the second half though.

Dikaba is a handful, full of energy, put in a couple of great crosses but also wasted a few balls, no probs with his positioning or his ability to beat players.

Tounkare was great with the ball, tried a few through balls that didn't quite work out, Kelly is a good worker, did alright but never realy got in any positions to score, plenty of time to work on him.

Stephens was very shaky early on, misplacing passes, failing to keep hold of the ball. His free kicks were very good, hit the bar with one, forced a good save out of the keeper with another and supplied the equaliser for Taylor. Even if Stephens is out of form currently, we would miss his abilities from free-kicks, while he isn't playing great he's not playing dire either and is still very important.

Thought Lee was the pick of the defenders, Jarrett did well, didn't see what he did or didn't do first half.

M'Voto is fantastic in the air, dire when the ball bounces, never seen a defender not deal with the ball as much as M'Voto did. I had my doubts in the summer when we brought him in and he does need to improve a lot.

Black had a mare of the 2nd half and was very lucky we didn't concede from the chances he gifted Rovers. He and M'Voto created some dire errors today, wasn't good to see.

Brill saved us on a few occasions, he's having a great season so far.

I really enjoyed the game today, it was frustrating but there was good football on show, we gave Bristol a very tough game and it was great to watch, despite the draw performances like that will make myself and other go to BP a lot more!

Wasn't at the game so won't come down either way on their goal having not seen it. All I will say is that both Iain Dowie and Jeff Stelling said it was an excellent goal and we couldn't do much about it.

Sometimes people are keen to apportion blame for every goal we concede when the opposition have actually just done something that was too good. Will wait and see for it, but off what I've heard blaming M'voto and Brill for the goal was harsh.

please come on here and leave a view when you have seen it.

I reckon you could have blamed anyone of 3 of ours and the one certainty was that there was no excellent play on their part, but I accept I know bugger all so feel free to tell me I'm wrong!

I thought we were very unlucky not to win today. The 1st 20 mins were very poor, no tempo passing was shocking and errors from everyone and the goal was a result of bad defending alround even if it was a nice finnish.

But once Stephens tried his luck with the free kick everyone seemed to be lifted and then we played like we did in the first 4 games of the season. I think my 2 main areas of concern are the centre backs and strikers and we're not being helped by suspension, injuries or international call ups. No partnerships are being developed at the minute because for one reason or another were having to change personel and its definitly not helping.

Overall though I was delighted with the effort and way we played, especially the 2nd half. I thought Tounkare was awesome apart from fluffing his 2 chances. Kelly huffed and puffed and did ok but untill he finds his feet in profesional football he's not going to offer to much in the way of goals. For the 1st time in a couple of years we had 2 wingers on the pitch and I loved the way Dikaba had one foot on the sideline at all times! Thats what a winger should do and the return to form of Taylor was an added bonus. He took his goal very well and as soon as it went in all his confidence he lost under Shez and Penney seemed to return in a hurry.

Stephens manage to controll the game today unlike the last 2 and he was aloud to play 10 yards further forward as Jarret was starting the play from the back. Furman ran his B*llocks of as usual.

The defence looked very shakey and Black got beat a few times by there winger. M'voto jsut needs to learn to be more decisive when it comes to commiting himself as he nearly got cought out a few times by being unsure what to do, but that will come with experience. I do beleive next week we have to have Hazzell back in as the posh's front 3 may give the defence we had today a bit of a lesson.

After seeing all the games so far I think we can all see were moving in the right direction and that we will never be out battled, but there are definitly some areas that need a lot of work still.

Oh and my god do I hope Bristol go down. We were embarrasing last year but at least we didn't resort to making the keeper pretend he had cramp to waste time that was pathetic to put it nicely.

People saying Taylor only turned up after he scored are way off the mark. Second half we gave him the ball to his feet so he could run with it. All he got 1st half were the kind of long balls that Smalley normally gets. 2nd half Dickaba was that outlet and Taylor came into the game. Shame it took 45 mins for us to work it out.

Special mention to Dickov, his use of the F word to both 4th official and ref whilst on the touchline is hilarious. At one point he called the ref 3 times and when he looked up he just shouted f**k off! Dave Penney he aint.

People saying Taylor only turned up after he scored are way off the mark. Second half we gave him the ball to his feet so he could run with it. All he got 1st half were the kind of long balls that Smalley normally gets. 2nd half Dickaba was that outlet and Taylor came into the game. Shame it took 45 mins for us to work it out.

Im talking about the previous 18 months when refering to Taylor.

Special mention to Dickov, his use of the F word to both 4th official and ref whilst on the touchline is hilarious. At one point he called the ref 3 times and when he looked up he just shouted f**k off! Dave Penney he aint.

Another quality Dickov moment was when he placed the ball for the keeper for a goal kick because of his constant time wasting and proceeded to call him a pisstaking Tw.t.