Latics 2-1 Bournemouth

I think picking Taylor out for criticism is wide of the mark today. Everything we did well in the first 20 mins involved him, then the ball stopped coming to feet and we lost the momentum. Alessandra's a better player for me, but then again i've said he had more potential for the past 3 seasons. Taylor on the right and Lewis on the left will see us beat a lot of teams, people are far too quick to write Taylor off and I think a number will end up looking a bit stupid as a result. I should add, i've nothing against Jones, he's a very capable player but when he's having a bad 'un he's a waste of a shirt at times, we'll have more consistency with LA and CT.

He did ok nothing much but if you look at how is overall performances not necessarily today but over the course of the last 12-18 months I feel he hasn't gone forwards and something has to change. The Chris Taylor of 2 years ago at the start of the 08/09 season was going past players both ways getting crosses in and scoring putting in man of the match performances and tearing it up. I want to see him get back to that kind of form I think trying him on the right and Lewis on the left like you said over the course of a few games might be the answer.

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The worrying thing for me before our comeback was the lack of penetration. Plenty of sides will come here this season and set their stall out to not get beat.

When we moved the ball quickly to feet in the first 15 mins or so, we looked a threat, but when the goal didn't come we resorted to a more direct style that was getting us nowhere.

A below par performance today but we ground out an unlikely win and that will do for me.

A special mention for lewi tonight, who added some much needed impetus when he came on.

Thats true, but in the past we would have lost that game but we managed to grind out a win today losing at home to mediocre opposition is what cost John Sheridan his job don't forget.

Its often said that you are not a bad team if you can pick up wins when you have not played so well. very true

Did not think Bournemouth were as good as people are making out. Both managers had done their homework and to some extent cancelled each others tactics out. Referee was as poor as I have seen for some time and that did not help matters. disagree.....we were second to every ball today....my mate said it was just a bad day at the office....my reply was centred around Bournemouth not allowing us to play........hence I thought they had a good gameplan and were executing it perfectly........that was until Dickov shown the faithful that we do infact have a plan B :)

Straight cough from Eddie Howe. It was a cross and not a shot. Brill knows he was in the wrong and I cannot see how it does any good some people booing a player. yeah not to happy about people booing him.....I had an argument with a fellow fan that just couldn't refuse abusing him.......yes he is dropping clangers, he is also savings one on ones.........but c'mon fellow tics........abusing a player whilst still on the field is a disgrace and not doing his confidence or the teams any good............still it wouldn't be latics if we didn't have a fall guy when we are losing ........I also seen some other numpty hurling abuse at a young ballboy today......and it's becoming more and more widespread........

Like people say your only have to see the clangers dropped recently by far betters keepers to take this mistake into context.

I believe that Brill is playing far better than when he came at first and has pulled some great saves off already this season.

Great wing by the boys today and the most pleasing aspect is the way they worked for each other near the end. At one time I am not too sure we would have made such a comeback. agreed, i do believe we have a plan B.......well done boys, i'd say more of the same next week, but I would like to see a better performance as well.......god i'm hard to please :grin:

Barry

Its often said that you are not a bad team if you can pick up wins when you have not played so well.

Did not think Bournemouth were as good as people are making out. Both managers had done their homework and to some extent cancelled each others tactics out. Referee was as poor as I have seen for some time and that did not help matters.

Straight cough from Eddie Howe. It was a cross and not a shot. Brill knows he was in the wrong and I cannot see how it does any good some people booing a player.

Like people say your only have to see the clangers dropped recently by far betters keepers to take this mistake into context.

I believe that Brill is playing far better than when he came at first and has pulled some great saves off already this season.

Great wing by the boys today and the most pleasing aspect is the way they worked for each other near the end. At one time I am not too sure we would have made such a comeback.

Barry

Looks like you've celebrated with a few beers judging by your typing!

Really didn't think we'd pull it off today. Thoughts it was going to be another frustrating one like brizzle t'other week. Highlights for me were Allesandras nifty footwork and the blonde wearing the black dress sat on the front row up in the exec suite. I think Brill was trying to look up her skirt when their goal went in.....

BBC commentator said "Bournemouth missed a host of chances"........... ""PARDON?!!!!!!"

They were a poor side. We were a poor side.

Stats:

Bournemouth

Shots on taget 1

Shots off target 2 (one was the free kick that hit the post, one was a header wide near the end from a corner / free kick)

Where are these host of chances?!

They are the first side in a few years to not create a decent goalscoring opportunity from open play against us.

A decent side would have pasted both of us today.

But....... Great battling result, showed great character which many fans have had a go at the players for not having.

Nowt to see there that will convince me that regularly visiting the decrepit pit that is BP is a worthwhile use of my time. My first visit since the Trannies game when I walked at half time about 9 months ago. All style, no substance.

Re-assuringinly, it was nice to see that Taylor is becoming what I predicted he would become. He must be the biggest tart in the whole of the football league. How anyone would have thought he may have been worth a million quid is beyond me. No manager in the league would give more than two shiny buttons for him now surely?

HnF,

Derek.

[quote name='DerekWilson_1968' date='Sep 19 2010, 01:12 AM' post='428643'

Re-assuringinly, it was nice to see that Taylor is becoming what I predicted he would become. He must be the biggest tart in the whole of the football league. How anyone would have thought he may have been worth a million quid is beyond me. No manager in the league would give more than two shiny buttons for him now surely?

HnF,

Derek.

2? You are generous. Must be going soft in your old age.

[quote name='DerekWilson_1968' date='Sep 19 2010, 01:12 AM' post='428643'

HnF,

Derek.

2? You are generous. Must be going soft in your old age.

Maybe Pukka. But it is still good to see I have an eye for a bad 'un.

One of Brill's biggest fans, but seeing that i felt he could of stepped back as it came over and at least made an attempt to stop it, however one goal like that doesn't make him sh*t, a booboy and useless, the amount of points he's won us this season, as people have said all keepers make mistakes, and Brill makes no more, no less than most other keepers.

the goal was 100% brill's fault, he is a great shot stopper but at what point do the other facets of his game (poor distribution, command and positioning) render his poisition untenable? hopefully he can get a few clean sheets under his belt and confidence will improve the parts of his game which are lacking at the minute

Taylor 4 - in reply to the post above, yes, he is going through the motions. When are you going to stretch the opposition Chris? You're allowed to!

Absolute b******s. Ok, he didn't skin anybody. But how many times did he give the ball away? Every time he had the ball, he looks for a blue shirt and found it. Pretty much every time it was a short ball. Nothing wrong with that at all. I'm not saying he was great, a 6 maybe 7, but he did alright. 4/10 is absolute s***e.

The team performance wasn't great, but there are two teams on the field. Bournemouth, without being great, were organised and made if difficult for us. We kept going, which was good. We showed good spirit, and eventually we got a break and we are back in the game.

It was not a great game, but we stuck at it and in the end got the 3 points, so I was well happy.

Did we win? Just going off this thread i'm not sure...

We did, but it's reasonable to discuss the frailties we showed.

On the plus side we've kept one of the division's top scorers down to a single goal (and with the benefit of TV replay I'm sure Dean Brill will agree with the assessment of most - he made a mess of it) and three shots all game.

Additionally we've shown that we can turn a game round. Get the ball in the box more and we'll score more. I know that's stating the obvious, but sometimes it needs saying. I love the passing game, but it does need incisive through balls and meaninful crosses at the end of it.

On the down side, if our 4 man midfield is up against a 5 man midfield there needs to be a plan to ensure we don't keep losing the ball. The wide players didn't offer much yesterday and as a result Furman and Stephens had their work cut out until Alessandra managed to take the heat off them.

Absolute b******s. Ok, he didn't skin anybody. But how many times did he give the ball away?

How many times did he look like he wanted the ball? How many times did he provide an option for Black? How many times did he look up, see an old man in front of him and think "I can do him every time"? How many times did he move in to space to give an option to Brill for a clearance?

I staunchly defended Taylor when he was receiving stick on his return from injury this season. I think he's had reasonable time to adjust back in to it. There's still a problem with him though. My mate (a Peterborough fan) described as "not a fraction of the player he was" and it's a fair assessment. Last season I thought his issues were around a fear of being injured again. It may still be the underlying problem.

Edited by opinions4u

we really need a change in the 'keeping department, he's costing us points with individual errors all the time.

do you car to elaborate on that clearly ridiculous point.

this seasons dropped points:

charlton away 2points dropped - brill made a couple of good saves to garentee the point which should have been 3 had tounkara got his act together in front of goal

yoevil and brsitol both 2 points dropped in each - pulled off numerous saves some that he had no right to get to and many keepers wouldnt have kept us in both games and earnd us points not lost us any

peterborough away. 3 points dropped - possibly blame him for the first for not collecting the cross but ruben should have dealt with the cross and kieran lee should have been in position to stop the cross. none of the other goals can be blamed on brill although you get the impression on here that any goal is his fault regardless of how good it is