Game Thread: Brentford 1-3 Latics

thanks, hope he isnt out for long

PD said he tweaked his knee in training, and he needs to be looked at next week, so just have to wait and see, but the way JJ and M'voto have perfomed I don't think he is in a hurry to reinstate him.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Everyone played their part today.

Brill still worries me a bit with crosses, but he does other things well - encourages those around him and gets vocal. He could barely watch the penalty! Kicking needs a bit more work though.

M'Voto is really looking good and missed very little. He & JJ showed that we are looking more solid at the back again and didn't really miss Rubes or Greegs. Lee just gets better and better now he's encouraged to cross the half way line. Evina looked as if he'd been here for years - for a kid of 18 to slot in like that and hardly put a foot wrong is impressive.

Furball & Stephens got more of a grip on the game as it went on, Jones showed good touches, Alice made mistakes but grafted his heart out.

Taylor was a revelation; he fought, he battled, he twisted and turned, scored a cracker, wound 'em up and riled the crowd. This position "in the hole" suits him and he looks as though he's enjoying it. Welcome back, Chris. And Tounkara - what a bloody handful he is. I'd love him to get on the score sheet because the rest of his game is excellent. He ran his socks off, chased and harried, got to and won balls that were never his to win and showed terrific skill in tight situations for a big, raw youngster.

Christophe's cameo showed he has class and uses his head. Kelly worked hard in the time he had and could have scored with a bit more luck.

All in all, a terrific, well deserved win. It's a long time since I've seen a Latics team work so hard and pressure the opposition so much, chasing lost causes as this one does. Dickov has got them fired up and it's a pleasure to watch performances like that. Superb team effort

great win. Latics the better team by far and deserved what they got. Defence looked shaky. Lee and jarrett exposed three times first half and the ball hit the net each time. Good job two were disallowed. Taylor was a sensation today. Tonkare ran and ran while lee as an attacking force is great. Furman and stephens worked hard too.

This is my main concern, letting gregan go out on loan could be a tad hasty, healthy competition is never a bad thing but if the defence is still shaky, gregan could be the steadying influence needed.

Good point about Dean Brill. He really cares.

After his mistakes last season and subsequent criticism, he could easily have given in, told himself he wasn't getting a fair chance, sat out his contract and gone home.

But instead he committed himself fully to cutting out the gaffes, pulling off some great saves, and winning back the fans. He looks like he really wants to be a success here, has bought in to the message of unity Paul Dickov has been relaying, and celebrates Latics goals as much as the fans do!

Much respect to him, even if I don't rate him as highly as some of the goalies we've had in the past 15 years.

Very good performance, easily the better of the two sides. As a southern-based fan, it is a pleasure to see us passing the ball and using the wings once again.

I love the way Dickov has gone for players with genuine skills rather than the plodders we signed last season and has given a new lease of life to players such as Furman, Lee and Alessandra. Moving Taylor into the middle is a sign of this and we are getting the rewards from his ability once again. Tounkare impresses me more each time I see him, using his strength and good control to keep the ball under pressure and with an eye for a decent pass.

If we let softish goals in, it is probably because of the collective inexperience of the back four, Jarrett excepted, but Lee was excellent again today and Mvoto has settled down as a really good defender – hardly put a foot wrong. But Taylor has to be my MOM

looks like dickov is the man......love his attitude...the players are responding...must be the youngest team in this league.....play offs this season i am sure...at least

looks like dickov is the man......love his attitude...the players are responding...must be the youngest team in this league.....play offs this season i am sure...at least

Whoah daddy. Not quite booking into the play-offs yet. Strikers not scoring? Lacking something up front are we? Tell that to Chris Taylor, Oldham's Peter Beardsley.

I know nothing about football.

You and me both, kiddo. My first reaction to the starting line-up was 'FFS this is what happens when you leave Gregan out of the squad, weakest back four i've seen in years, we'll let in a shedload today'. I guess that goes in the same file as pearls of wisdom such as 'what the f**k's he doing playing Taylor up front, it's just a waste playing him out of position','Tounkara's keen enough but he's a useless lump' and 'no way on God's green earth is Lee a full back'.

It was a great win, don't get me wrong. But a better side than Brentford will rip that defence to shreds. They were rarely first to a corner or cross and you could drive a train between lee and jarrett at times. The new guy is a good footballer but kept dropping in behind the centre backs leaving massive gaps out wide. I think Taylor and tounkare as a strike partnership will work well. They genuinely seem to get on and a better understanding will develop. More positives than negatives. But improving the defence is the priority.

It was a great win, don't get me wrong. But a better side than Brentford will rip that defence to shreds. They were rarely first to a corner or cross and you could drive a train between lee and jarrett at times. The new guy is a good footballer but kept dropping in behind the centre backs leaving massive gaps out wide. I think Taylor and tounkare as a strike partnership will work well. They genuinely seem to get on and a better understanding will develop. More positives than negatives. But improving the defence is the priority.

I think you're right. However, if we can defend for 90 minutes like we did after we scored, we're not far off being pretty tight.

It was a great day. Hard to pick a man of the match, because I think they all did well, although Evira deserves a mention - great debut and looks as if he's picked up the passion as he was organising the defence at set pieces and even went and pushed Dean Brill about after he missed a cross! Thought the first goal was also fantastic.

A couple of Bees fans in the Griffin afterwards said we were the best team they've played so far. They also praised our support - they reckoned there was about 500 there. Didn't think there was that many, but couldn't see how full the seating area was. Taggart celebrating the second goal with us when he was walking back to the dug out after half-time was a nice moment....

Edited by JoeP

I think you're right. However, if we can defend for 90 minutes like we did after we scored, we're not far off being pretty tight.

It was a great day. Hard to pick a man of the match, because I think they all did well, although Evira deserves a mention - great debut and looks as if he's picked up the passion as he was organising the defence at set pieces and even went and pushed Dean Brill about after he missed a cross! Thought the first goal was also fantastic.

A couple of Bees fans in the Griffin afterwards said we were the best team they've played so far. They also praised our support - they reckoned there was about 500 there. Didn't think there was that many, but couldn't see how full the seating area was. Taggart celebrating the second goal with us when he was walking back to the dug out after half-time was a nice moment....

Thats some very excited celebrating behind the goal when Furman scored matey! Can spot you a mile off on the highlights!

Sorry I missed it! :lol:

It was a great victory yesterday at a ground that's not seen many Latics wins with a good performance going forward. Now for some caution to temper the back slapping. The Bee's scored an early goal, scored a further two ruled out goals after openning us up like a hot knife through butter and hit the wood work. Granted in the second half we improved as a defensive unit but on another day you know the outcome.

It's a weird one really as you could say individually the players all did ok, yet as a group we look like conceeding. Both Lee and Evina got skinned a few times in the first half and the Bee's wingers galloped into acre's of space on both flanks in the first half on several occassions. However it was a measure of Lee's metal that he came out the second half, improved his overall defending (helped out more by Jones too) and played a great half. M'Voto was a rock all day long and JJ was assured along side. It's collectively we need to improve and look more solid, just how we improve on our set piece frailties I don't know cos we are quite a small outfit in the main.

Taylor is looking more the player we know he can be (helps when he's scoring of course) but still not where he was at the start of 3 season's back when he really was ripping up tree's. He and Tonk seem to be doing ok up top together. Tonk's work rate and power is getting better and better, he just need's to get to grips with scoring more and he'll be a little special this season.

It's great viewing when the side plays like it did yesterday and I am sure the boy's must have been buzzing afterwards. They certainly enjoyed joining in celebrating with the fans as they left the pitch. This game could have been 6-6 as easilly as 3-1 though, so don't be getting too giddy just yet. This league is gonna be a close one that you can tell now.

Edited by Lags

Getting to be a good habit winning after going behind ie Bournemouth but does anybody know the last time Latics came from behind to win away ??

ps - before yesterday :lol:

and when was the last time we scored more than two goals away from home? can't have happened in a long time. last time i remember was crewe away 2 boxing days ago?