Technically gifted Latics players ?

Filipe Morais struck me immediately as a technically gifted player and it got me wondering how many Latics players past and present fall into the category of silky skills and comfortable on the ball.

In the old days Bobby Johnstone, and later Simon Strainrod spring to my mind, can you think of any more ?

Edited by BP1960

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filipe Morais struck me immediately as technically gifted player and it got me wondering how many Latics players past and present fall into the category of silky skills and comfortable on the ball.

In the old days Bobby Johnstone, and later Simon Strainrod spring to my mind, can you think of any more ?

Got to be the one and only tricky Ricky Holden in my lifetime, too easy. Out of the current squad of our players I reckon Lewi is in there and Dale is probably one of the most natural when on form also

Got to be the one and only tricky Ricky Holden in my lifetime, too easy. Out of the current squad of our players I reckon Lewi is in there and Dale is probably one of the most natural when on form also

David Eyres was always a class player, amazing he was in non league until he was 26yo.

Back to the Royle era Rick Holden is the obvious stand out. Aside form him I think Richard Jobson was probably the most comfortable player on the ball of that time. Since then, John Sheridan (of course), David Eyres, Kilkenny occasionally, Wellens when he turned it on, the odd flash from Liddell, and most recently Pawel Abbott (who I still think of as a lower league Berbatov).

They're pretty rare cos they usually get hounded out for being "lazy".

nail on the head but then again the reason why these players are League 1 players is because they didn't do it for us every week, for example off the top of my head I would think of Christian Colusso, Jermaine Johnson and Craig Davies

Top 10 in my book would be the following

1. Andy Ritchie

2. Rick Holden

3. Richard Jobson

4. David Eyres

5. John Sheridan

6. Neil Adams

7. Richie Wellens

8. Fitz Hall

9. Richard Graham

10. Andy Liddell

Ive always like watching the technical players who can make things happen and when it comes to first touch and the ability to use both feet knowone beats Andy Ritchie for me the astro turf surface meant the ball fizzed across the pitch quicker than it would on grass which required a great first touch just one of the reasons why Stitch soared above the others.

Top 10 in my book would be the following

1. Andy Ritchie

2. Rick Holden

3. Richard Jobson

4. David Eyres

5. John Sheridan

6. Neil Adams

7. Richie Wellens

8. Fitz Hall

9. Richard Graham

10. Andy Liddell

Ive always like watching the technical players who can make things happen and when it comes to first touch and the ability to use both feet knowone beats Andy Ritchie for me the astro turf surface meant the ball fizzed across the pitch quicker than it would on grass which required a great first touch just one of the reasons why Stitch soared above the others.

I would make it 11 with Paul Warhurst.