Sad News - Merged

would echo everything that has been said on here about Richard and his family, desperately sad news. Would also want to spare a thought for the Macc club and their fans - following a year on from the death of Keith Alexander the shock and disbelief must be magnified. i may be wrong but I'm sure I heard Butcher being interviewed on GMR just after Alexander's death. I think they may have driven back together from a game the night before he died.

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In such tragic circumstances, it can be easy to say nice things.

In Richards case though they are deserved. A quiet lad, a model pro not just at our club, but also wherever he has played apparently. He was never the joker in ther pack but a young man working hard at making the most of what talent he possessed.

He didn't have the engine of a Palmer or the charisma of a Cooksey, the tackle of a Milligan or Henry or the finese of a Wellens or a Killkenny, but he did possess a quiet determination to be as good as he could, to play at the highest level possible, recognise when he could do no more and was never too big for his boots.

Sometimes, we ask players who wear our clubs shirt for more than they are capable of giving and as supporters we can be unforgiving. But on days like today you look back and can say he did his best. That really is all you can ever ask.

Rest in Peace Richard. Thoughts are with your family.

Living in Lincoln I saw Richard both at Sincil Bank and at Boundary Park. He lived quite close to me and I often saw him in the local area. I presented him with the champagne moment after his first goal for Latics against Bradford City on Boxing Day (2005 I think). He was such a likable and honest young man. All the players and fans at Macc must be gutted after this news coming so soon after the death of Keith Alexander. I know he will be in Keith's team in heaven. RIP Richard.

R.I.P. Richard, was really not expecting to log on and see this. He always seemed like a good person, not the best we've had at BP but does that really matter?

I remember him for his goal at Bradford when Wellens took them apart in the first half hour and it was one of my first away games as a Latics fan.

Also thoughts to Macclesfield because they'll have only just got over the death of Alexander.

Heard the news on talkSPORT at work, shocked isn't the word.

Always rated Richard and thought he deserved more of a chance here after Ronnie left, I never felt the management team used him how they should have and I hoped he would have played more a role in Shez's squad. Always remember him for the Colchester winner, a great goal that left the ground rocking.

RIP Richard.

There's grief Paddy, and there's going massively over the top. And you know yourself that day some fans went well over the line.

Personally think Dean Holden got more at Hull in 2004. And the abuse at Barnsley, whilst he did take some individual flack, it wasn't exclusive for Butcher, the whole team kopped for it!

In such tragic circumstances, it can be easy to say nice things.

In Richards case though they are deserved. A quiet lad, a model pro not just at our club, but also wherever he has played apparently. He was never the joker in ther pack but a young man working hard at making the most of what talent he possessed.

He didn't have the engine of a Palmer or the charisma of a Cooksey, the tackle of a Milligan or Henry or the finese of a Wellens or a Killkenny, but he did possess a quiet determination to be as good as he could, to play at the highest level possible, recognise when he could do no more and was never too big for his boots.

Sometimes, we ask players who wear our clubs shirt for more than they are capable of giving and as supporters we can be unforgiving. But on days like today you look back and can say he did his best. That really is all you can ever ask.

Rest in Peace Richard. Thoughts are with your family.

I don't believe I can say what I am feeling any better that this. RIP Richard

Personally think Dean Holden got more at Hull in 2004. And the abuse at Barnsley, whilst he did take some individual flack, it wasn't exclusive for Butcher, the whole team kopped for it!

I didn't hang around at Hull to see what happened, but I believe Dean Holden flicked the V's at the fans at the end of the game so it's a long way from unwarranted abuse. And for the Barnsley game, yes, there was flak directed at the team but Richard Butcher copped for the brunt of it by a long way. It was ugly, I recall it as clear as day. You can't dress it up as anything else really.

By the way Harry DGS, superb words, superbly put.

Stunned. Awful, awful news. Always felt sorry for him because some of our fans were on his back from 10 minutes into his debut. You could see he had potential in what he was trying to do and i've always wondered how it would have worked out for him here if he'd had a bit more confidence.

I can't imagine how much in shock his family must be. RIP.

A bloke who broke his nose twice in a matter of weeks putting his head in where it hurts for the team. He was commited and determined, but Ronnie Moore's hoofball had him running around the pitch looking lost, as ball after ball flew over his head.

Richard has proved himself elsewhere, so it's such a shame that he took the flak here at BP for what was a style of football that just didn't suit his game. As others have said, a thoroughly decent and quiet bloke who never responded to the taunts after a bad game, nor craved the adulation after having a good game - he just headed up the tunnel and got on with things professionally.

A sad loss.

I didn't hang around at Hull to see what happened, but I believe Dean Holden flicked the V's at the fans at the end of the game so it's a long way from unwarranted abuse. And for the Barnsley game, yes, there was flak directed at the team but Richard Butcher copped for the brunt of it by a long way. It was ugly, I recall it as clear as day. You can't dress it up as anything else really.

By the way Harry DGS, superb words, superbly put.

The flak he received at Barnsley was awful, and he copped it in plenty of other games as well. But in my 40 odd years watching Latics nobody has copped for as much abuse as Dave Penney. It seems ironic then that there's another thread running at the moment absolutely slaughtering our ex manager.

As for Richard Butcher, terrible news. RIP.

Just got confirmation from Alan that there'll be a minute's silence before S'oton.

I hope it is respectfully observed by all

Once again, RIP Richard

This was only on News Years Day, 10 days later.....shocking news

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/t...own/9355965.stm

Edited by slystallone