Who's Against a Permanent Move Out of Oldham?

It's interesting. A few years ago I would have been dead against a move out of the borough. But since I moved away from Oldham nearly 5 years ago, and I freely admit I would never seriously consider returning, my opinions have softened.

Are my allegiances with the town, the club or both? I would have to say the club. Having said that I wouldn't want to see a complete name change to accommodate another area eg Tameside Athletic. However I think merely being called "Athletic FC" or "FC Athletic" whilst keeping the nickname 'the latics' is acceptable.

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't agree with that statement and other similar statements made on here. Its your view so I respect it, but my response is that if it means that Oldham Athletic is alive and kicking at a brand spanking new stadium a stones throw outside of the borough of Oldham it will be an incredibly good thing for the club and the fans. I believe the club would have new fans if a move outside of Oldham occurred. Please note, I do not want it to happen but if it is the best for the club then I'm all for it.

I know its a different matter but if a family member or your partner you love moved to a different town to you, you wouldn't cease your feelings and love for them just because of that reason would you? A bit far-fetched but hey...

There has been much bull:censored: spouted on this board over the last day or so, but none of it caps this.

we've been suffering from a long, slow and painful deah. Look at the gates. The council isn't the only problem. A move to the Oldham/Ashton border might, just might broaden the clubs very small fan base and increase business opportunities. Live in Tameside rather than die in Oldham. It might be narrow minded madness to keep burying your head in your arse thinking something is going to turn up. The simple fact is that we ae in the top 5 and yet barely scraped 3,000 on Tuesday. Time for a change. It's hardly a sell-out going all the way to Ashton.

If we move out of Oldham we will have no club.

Does this mean that because I don't live in Oldham I am not allowed to support them? Should I now be preparing myself for Wednesday vs MK?

Does this mean that because I don't live in Oldham I am not allowed to support them? Should I now be preparing myself for Wednesday vs MK?

That's a good point, lots of fans live outside Oldham so it wouldn't matter too much where they played within reason as long as the club was alive.

Obviously the best option is to keep the club playing in Oldham, but other options including ground shares have to now be seriously considered.

i don't live in oldham and haven't done for years, so in terms of the practicalities of getting to the matches, moving out of oldham makes no difference to me, within reason.

but i am fundamentally opposed to oldham, or any other club, moving out of their 'home.'

whether it is wimbledon moving to milton keynes, or tottenham to the olympic stadium, it's just wrong. they become something else.

if oldham aren't oldham any more, i may as well go do something else.

Anyone is allowed to support the club. The club is called Oldham Athletic though so Oldham is should remain.

I support Oldham Athletic the club first and foremost....if we have to move 'Beyond the Boundary' a little, as long as it's still Oldham Athletic and we keep our identity It's OK by me. If we have to relocate, I would much rather move towards Tameside than next to Eastlands....Oh and the majority of Ashton has an Oldham postcode.

Apart from dons, they've all been in their current area for decades?

It's a :censored:e state of affairs we have, but move the club out of Oldham and watch it die. That is the reality.

Its Good but its not right (but I think you know that). If that was the answer I could have said Rochdale, Liverpool, Everton, Bury etc.

People suggesting Tameside as the answer seriously do not have a clue what they're talking about. A small pocket of Latics fans live in Tameside (some might stupidly think it's a good idea...but it's not...The Yeds playing at Hurst Cross showed how interested in travelling some are!)

Anyway...I was asked my opinion on this last night having lived in Tameside for 28 out of my 30 years...this is the reality...

"Ian...Tamesiders have very little interest in anything other than the red scum or :censored:ty! With a small interest in the local non-league scene. It's this interest which is a red herring that Tamesiders would openly welcome a football league club...they like the idea of the small non-league club doing well within their non-league pond but they'll be infront of a TV set just as much as the "Oldham born and bred-Manchester club follower"

It would be very Failsworth like...but worse...with it not even being in the same borough. Tameside is not the answer."

Edited by boundaryblue80

It's a very interesting debate that I'm sure will run and run.

I've never lived in the town, I follow the club through my dad and have had relatives from Oldham in the past. But I wouldn't have as strong an affection to the club if it wasn't from Oldham, the place has a unique feel about it (bad as well as good) which I love and always will.

I with Macca overall on this. A permanent move out of Oldham and a name change to "insert town/borough name here" Athletic is unthinkable for me and would certainly mean the end of my affiliation with the club. Yet I would be happy with a temporary move to anywhere for as long a period of time as is necessary if it means that the club stays alive, just as long as the plan is to move back to the borough as soon as possible.

Go on then Ross "WHAT" IS THE ANSWER? to the puzzle. I doubt anyone is going to be happy with final outcome. Personally based on attendances I suspect the small pocket is no smaller than the small pockets from several in borough locations. Its also no worse than Failsworth to many, equally its a MASSIVE step to far for just as many which I respect. Ultimately it is in Simon Cs hands. Think your ref to in front of telly is the key statement = problems for pubs, clubs etc..... SKY. !!!!!!!!!!!!

Can see the whole structure of lower division football imploding inside 10 years as looking at attendances everywhere it cant sustain the costs.

I haven't said I know what is the answer...but I certainly know what isn't the answer. Tameside most certainly isn't it. For me, the plans for Oldham Arena and Failsworth were all about generating too high a bottom-line profit and were far too big and grand. Now I'd like to see plans produced to generate enough to survive on...but after messing about and getting it wrong for the last 18mths, it's maybe too late to turn the clock back. All the time, money and effort wasted could've gone to more sensible regeneration of BP on a smaller, manageable scale (stand by stand over a number of years, ala Preston, West Brom etc) or relocation (to not a 30-acre site but again, something more managable within Oldham ala Scunthorpes ground etc.)

Edited by boundaryblue80

I haven't said I know what is the answer...but I certainly know what isn't the answer. Tameside most certainly isn't it. For me, the plans for Oldham Arena and Failsworth were all about generating too high a bottom-line profit and were far too big and grand. Now I'd like to see plans produced to generate enough to survive on...but after messing about and getting it wrong for the last 18mths, it's maybe too late to turn the clock back. All the time, money and effort wasted could've gone to more sensible regeneration of BP on a smaller, manageable scale (stand by stand over a number of years, ala Preston, West Brom etc) or relocation (to not a 30-acre site but again, something more managable within Oldham ala Scunthorpes ground etc.)

Given some of the stick TTA got in here for wanting to develope a 'flat pack non league ikea stadium' with 'only' a 12k capacity, can you imagine the grief they would have got for a 'lack of ambition' if they proposed developing Boundary Park into something similar to what Shrewsbury or Chesterfield now have?

I can see the point being made but sometimes they really are damned if they do or damned if they dont

the easiest option looks like redeveloping BP slowly (new lookers, new main stand, new chaddy end) firstly by selling the lancaster club to fund it.

won't happen though because corney reckons it should have been knocked down years ago so i doubt he will be thinking of that and if he does, it won't be his first choice.

BP is a :censored:hole, but it's familiar and it's sad to see it as it is now so if corney finds a way to move the club forward, i can't see it being at BP.

The club would survive in Oldham no matter what happens. Even if the club were to be liquidated a phoenix club would rise.

I'm for the club moving away on a temporary basis and would continue to support them. Our future should lie in Oldham though.

Oldham or bust.

Would it? This has been mentioned many times on here over the years but not once I have I heard anyone say they wopudl actually do it.

Would it? This has been mentioned many times on here over the years but not once I have I heard anyone say they wopudl actually do it.

If the likes of Halifax, Scarborough and Chester, who were getting even worse crowds than we do now when they went bust can do it, then surely there as much chance of someone, somewhere starting something up for us?

Suppose we won't know until it happens. Lets hope we won't have to find out....

Edited by JoeP

If the likes of Halifax, Scarborough and Chester, who were getting even worse crowds than we do now when they went bust can do it, then surely there as much chance of someone, somewhere starting something up for us?

Suppose we won't know until it happens. Lets hope we won't have to find out....

Yeah, maybe. What turned me off more than anything was the sheer apathy (among worse things) during SAFE days was the sheer mind numbing apathy of so many people that made me think that there was an inevitability about what may be coming. While I still hope I was wrong I've yet to see anything to convince me of that