Amos goes back - Merge-o matic active

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The only way to end the loan of a goalkeeper is for the club who hold his registration to recall him.

Corney says to Dickov "We're skint Paul. Ring Fergie and see if he'll take that keeper back".

Dickov calls Fergie "Oi, Rednose, do us a favour and recall Amos, we can't afford our £3.50 contribution to his wage".

I could be wrong. It could be to free up a wage to bring in somebody like Ormerod on loan.

I but I think it's highly likely that money and the end of ambition for another season have everything to do with it.

I thought Ormerod was playing in Blackpool first team and scored the other week? plus I was under the impression Amos is wages where all paid for by Man U anyway.

brill is worse than amos though.

Matter of opinion that. There's no evidence to support your claim.

However, if you were to look at the statistics...... B)

Truth is, I'm not keen on either, but nor was I a fan of Pogs.

We are a club with a history of decent keepers, but times have clearly changed, and we bring in what we can afford, I suppose.

Matter of opinion that. There's no evidence to support your claim.

However, if you were to look at the statistics...... B)

Truth is, I'm not keen on either, but nor was I a fan of Pogs.

We are a club with a history of decent keepers, but times have clearly changed, and we bring in what we can afford, I suppose.

the fact that ben is at manchester united and dean is here and been dropped twice here ? that not enough evidence to support my claim ?

Thing is, Brill HAS to step up to the plate now. He's not the worst keeper we've had by a long chalk (I still break out in a cold sweat whenever I think of Miskelly, Blayney & Budtz), but he is no more than average League 1 standard. He makes excellent saves, but his kicking is poor and I'm fairly certain that his defence is never too sure whether he'll stick or twist at crosses. We won't mention the free kicks he's conceded.

As has been said before, two managers have replaced him with loanees, so that tells it's own story. Assuming PD doesn't bring in another keeper on loan, or play Routledge / Olly, Brillo has 10 games to prove his worth. He's out of contract at the end of the season, so he could be on the football scrapheap if he doesn't do the biz. Unless there is a dramatic improvement, I can't see him being here next season, so it's all down to him now.

Barracking him won't help and, whilst he isn't the most popular player at the club (from the fans perspective, that is,) he wears the Latics shirt and needs support. I hope he does well for the next 10 games, but also hope we have someone better next season.

the fact that ben is at manchester united and dean is here and been dropped twice here ? that not enough evidence to support my claim ?

At the end of the day, does it really matter? Amos has gone, Brill is what we have to go with, so lets give him (another) chance, eh?

Looking at it from a positive angle; even though Amos is at Old Trafford, he's yet to properly "make it" and Brill has had more 1st team experience.

I thought Ormerod was playing in Blackpool first team and scored the other week? plus I was under the impression Amos is wages where all paid for by Man U anyway.

That's why I said "like Ormerod". He was an exapmle. I should probably have just said "A striker".

I would expect a small part of Amos' wages to be paid by Latics.

At the end of the day, does it really matter? Amos has gone, Brill is what we have to go with, so lets give him (another) chance, eh?

Looking at it from a positive angle; even though Amos is at Old Trafford, he's yet to properly "make it" and Brill has had more 1st team experience.

maybe so but he has been at :censored:e clubs. amos also has champions league experiance which brill will never get.

I recall a similar scenario when Brighton were on a romp towards the title and they came to BP at a similar time of year. 2-0 Latics victory with a thunderbolt free kick by Eyresey being the cherry on the cake. We mullered them.

I'm not saying I fancy we're going to turn them over, but I feel we're due a win and shouldn't just go expecting us to get beat.

We certainly are due a win but i still expect us to get beat. Hopefully the playing and coaching staff are far more optimistic!

No. It isn't.

In fact, it has little relevance whatsoever.

When Denis Irwin was at Latics and Lee Martin was playing LB for Utd, would that mean Martin was the better of the two, just by virtue of the fact he was on the Utd books?

Amos is a 4th choice keeper who (IMO) won't make the grade without a massive amount of improvement, and Dean Brill has also come as far as he is likely to, after playing in the lower leagues for the bulk of his career.

Who is to say Amos wouldn't have been dropped twice if he'd stayed?

Neither have proved themselves any better than the other, and other than reading statistics that are (Perhaps wrongly, who knows?) loaded in favour of Brill, there is only opinion dividing the two - Thanks for yours, but I'll stick with mine.

No. It isn't.

When Denis Irwin was at Latics and Lee Martin was playing LB for Utd, would that mean Martin was the better of the two, just by virtue of the fact he was on the Utd books?

Amos is a 4th choice keeper who (IMO) won't make the grade without a massive amount of improvement, and Dean Brill has also come as far as he is likely to, after playing in the lower leagues for the bulk of his career.

Neither have proved themselves any better than the other, and other than reading statistics that are (Perhaps wrongly, who knows?) loaded in favour of Brill, there is only opinion dividing the two - Thanks for yours, but I'll stick with mine.

but irwin was at leeds before us ? another massive club, brill has never been and never will be at a club as big as leeds man utd

but irwin was at leeds before us ? another massive club, brill has never been and never will be at a club as big as leeds man utd

Yeah, when Leeds were potless and a team of kids struggling in the second tier - and selling those kids to us at bargain basement prices - Irwin, Wright, Linighan etc.. and very nearly Shez and Batty...

No. It isn't.

You should have said Paul Parker as Denis was a right back until he joined that lot. Sorry for being a pedant like :-D

You should have said Paul Parker as Denis was a right back until he joined that lot. Sorry for being a pedant like :-D

:grin:

If I'd said RB, someone would have pulled me up, stating that Denis played LB for Utd.

I was kind of hoping the point got across with minimal effort :wink:

my thinking is that PD has had a word with Amos and told him he is thinking of giving him a break for a few games and put Brill in, Amos hasn't liked what he has heard, told utd and they have said that he may as well go back into their reserves than sit on our bench and called him back.

Massive? Have a look at the league standings at the time.

Which club a player is registered to has cock all to do with the issue. FFS, Bruce Grobbelaar played 4 games for us, Bobby Johnstone and World Cup winner Ray Wilson both played for us - what the hell has the club got to do with it?

Kenny Cooper was at Utd - 'Nuff said.

I can't be arsed with the argument. Some of us have grown up things to do.

Just accept that some see it differently.

Run away leaders of the league visit worst form team in the division without a win in 9 and lost last 4?

You know we're gonna hammer them.

I'll have some of what you've had!!!!!

We're going to get seen to; a la Southampton & Peterborough......it wont be pretty!!