Amos goes back - Merge-o matic active

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

And this "ridiculous" about Brill being as good as Amos still carries with some amazing comments. The pro-Brill camp still don't take into account the defence in front.

I'll draw an analogy.....is Van Der Saar as good with Brown and Smalling in front of him as he is with Vidic and Smalling? The answer is clearly no.

Amos will be a good goalkeeper and play at a higher level than Brill....probably not with Man.U. though.

But back to Brill, I will be there on Saturday giving him my full support.....I don't see the point of sticking the boot in to the players before or during the game but prefer to wait until the game is over to voice my opinion.

And this "ridiculous" about Brill being as good as Amos still carries with some amazing comments. The pro-Brill camp still don't take into account the defence in front.

I'll draw an analogy.....is Van Der Saar as good with Brown and Smalling in front of him as he is with Vidic and Smalling? The answer is clearly no.

Amos will be a good goalkeeper and play at a higher level than Brill....probably not with Man.U. though.

But back to Brill, I will be there on Saturday giving him my full support.....I don't see the point of sticking the boot in to the players before or during the game but prefer to wait until the game is over to voice my opinion.

call yourself an Oldham fan?

Of over 40 years when they were in the old 4th. division......and your whiney-arsed point is?

I think you fell for whoosh there mike, the point being

"I don't see the point of sticking the boot in to the players before or during the game " was the clue. :wink:

I think you fell for whoosh there mike, the point being

"I don't see the point of sticking the boot in to the players before or during the game " was the clue. :wink:

Bugger...that's what comes from rushing around and dipping into the message board!!!

So he went back because Lindergaard has picked up an injury. See official

No cloak and dagger or conspiracy theories that some have been spouting on here.

I still think its bollocks , Van Der sar and Kusack is more than ample cover

I still think its bollocks , Van Der Sar and Kusack is more than ample cover

So if either gets a virus (of any sort) and is unable to play who does he name on the bench, not to mention injuries or suspensions? The Danish fella is having a minor knee op those usually mean about 6 weeks out, which is the beginning of May, United are quite likely to be playing 2 games a week for most of those dates. If Amos ends up at Posh this season then I think we have a right to complain- not sure where we will get with it though and it might be counter-productive. 4 goalies haven't been enough for Arsenal so rumour has it they are signing a 41 year old bloke who had retired as emergency cover.

United recalling him is down almost in its entirity to one of their goalies being injured and Fergie not wanting to be short in squeeky bum time. The fact that Amos going has some benefit for us (especially in relation to gain reward) is not all that relevant.

Incidentally the loan window ends in a couple of weeks maximum, the only loans allowed in that time are emergency ones, like having no available goal-keeper.

Having read through the posts it seems to me that we (Latics fans) have to accept the reality of the recall:

1. Amos is needed back at OT to provide the support that the mancs (think they) need

2. Brill is the best (only) option we have to slot into the team

3. We are an average 3rd division team so any expectations for top-class experienced goalies should be quickly eradicated. We're no more likely to attract (or afford) an experienced class goalie than we are to attract a decent striker.

Now for an opinion:

I actually think the recall is best all round.

If the loan keeper had been anyone other than the Man Utd loanee, PD would have rotated the goalkeeper as he would with outfield players and "rested" Amos to allow some confidence rebuilding.

With a bit of luck (and some considerable improvement), we tighten up the midfield and back four to prevent the pressures that have led to recent defeats and who knows, we might just rediscover our goalscoring touch and secure our future in this division.

And the other point is, of course, who do we have as cover for Brill? As already mentioned, we have a 38 year old crock, a stroppy kid whi has yet to prove himself and an even younger, although apparently promising, youngster.

Do we dip into the loan market again in case Mr Brill becomes complacent with no competition or is injured, or do we trust Olly / Routledge?

Out of interest, there isn't a decent shout in the PFA free transfer list.

And the other point is, of course, who do we have as cover for Brill? As already mentioned, we have a 38 year old crock, a stroppy kid whi has yet to prove himself and an even younger, although apparently promising, youngster.

Do we dip into the loan market again in case Mr Brill becomes complacent with no competition or is injured, or do we trust Olly / Routledge?

Out of interest, there isn't a decent shout in the PFA free transfer list.

We don't realistically have a choice.

We go with the squad as is until the end of the season.

What exactly was Brill doing wrong before Amos came in? :huh:

Not knocking Amos here because he was a good keeper for us, problems are more with the defence not doing their jobs well. Maybe first-formed opinions are hard to shake off.