Amos goes back - Merge-o matic active

I agree with Lee, Brill simply doesn't fill me with any confidence his mistakes have been nothing short of shoddy and unprofessional and he's made one too many for my liking plus he's too slow off his line and never comes for crosses, bar his distribution Amos was an example of what we were really missing his saves against Dagenham and Carlisle were probably 2 of the best saves I've ever seen

but I do wish that I can be proven wrong

Edited by Tommy_Fent

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree with Lee, Brill simply doesn't fill me with any confidence his mistakes have been nothing short of shoddy and unprofessional and he's made one too many for my liking plus he's too slow off his line and never comes for crosses, bar his distribution Amos was an example of what we were really missing his saves against Dagenham and Carlisle were probably 2 of the best saves I've ever seen

but I do wish that I can be proven wrong

Some might say conceeding 5 AND 6 in one loan spell is pretty unprofessional.

Like it or not, we've got Brill for the rest of the season so we can either belly-ache about it from now until then or back him to find some of the form that he's shown glimpses of.

Some might say conceeding 5 AND 6 in one loan spell is pretty unprofessional.

The long list of "0" in the goals scored column, stands out as a far bigger problem to me than a couple of mullerings which only the clinically insane could pin as "unprofessional goalkeeping".

amos was clearly better than brill, brill has been dropped now by 2 managers, must show that he isint upto the required standard.

but to be fair to him, his replacements haven't done enough to show brill up as the bad keeper we all said he was/is

No doubt in my mind that Amos is and will be a better 'keeper than Brill, he made mistakes and had some nightmare games but he's still young and learning and has shown all the physical and technical attributes to follow in the footsteps of Ben Foster and be a solid Prem 'keeper. Maybe with a bit of luck he'll make it at United.

But I'm not too disappointed with losing him, we're not going to make the playoffs therefore he's a luxury player. Even though I feel more comfortable with someone of Amos' ability in goal the bottom line is that we want the ball in our goal as little as possible and Brill's record of goals conceded isn't that bad. It certainly stands up to both Flahavan's and Amos' records so I'm happy enough with him between the sticks for the rest of the season.

One long term negative is that if Amos doesn't feel that he's developed well Fergie might think twice about loaning us future prospects, but then again have we actually got a long term future?

+1 amos is a good keeper, but not good enough to make brill think on the sidelines that he's not as good. i liked amos but he conceded too many goals, and it's probably for his own good that he isnt staying at a club like ours. last chance for brill though, he's had two spells out of the team and hopefully he'll come back and show us what he can do. shame to see ben go but hopefully with brill back we can get a bit more stable at the back (and i never thought i'd say that!)

Dunno if anyones noticed but laticslee is the loon who bought Amos shirt with the name on the back, £30 n now its redundant thats why hes a tad bitter, mebbe the lads got a soft spot for them down the road..... :wink:

From United website

Lindegaard set for knee op

The club have confirmed that goalkeeper Anders Lindegaard will undergo knee surgery on Thursday.

The operation will keep the United stopper on the sidelines for the next five weeks.

Since signing for the Reds in January, the Dane has made two appearances in goal. His debut came in the 2-1 FA Cup win at Southampton and he kept a clean sheet in the next round victory over Crawley Town at Old Trafford.

I find this Brill versus Amos argument a bit too reliant on games/goals conceded.

I don't think anyone can argue that Brill with Hazell/Jarrett or Hazell/Mvoto hasn't had a better central defensive partnership in front than Amos with a permutation of any 2 from Hazell/Todd/Trotman? Not forgetting that for a considerable chunk of Amos's nr. 1 goalie slot, the central midfield has not been the preferred choice of Stephens & Furman due to injuries and suspensions.

My opinion, and that's all it can be, is that if we had got Amos at the beginning of the season we would be in a better position than where we are now.

What a load of rubbish gets posted on this forum. I despair.

How on earth Amos is clearly a better keeper than Brill is beyond me. The goals and the number of them conceeded by Amos is truly shocking. He makes a mistake and he us not attacked verbally, Brill makes a mistake and the vitriol directed at him is ridiculous.

Amos is clearly better than Brill? No, his face just fits this clique is all.

The long list of "0" in the goals scored column, stands out as a far bigger problem to me than a couple of mullerings which only the clinically insane could pin as "unprofessional goalkeeping".

Yup. "Unprofessional" wasn't my word, but in the context that it was applied to Brill, surely it could apply to Amos too......

From United website

Lindegaard set for knee op

The club have confirmed that goalkeeper Anders Lindegaard will undergo knee surgery on Thursday.

The operation will keep the United stopper on the sidelines for the next five weeks.

Since signing for the Reds in January, the Dane has made two appearances in goal. His debut came in the 2-1 FA Cup win at Southampton and he kept a clean sheet in the next round victory over Crawley Town at Old Trafford.

Dont be posting this sensible rubbish on here, We couldnt afford Amos's wages coz we're going bust dont ya know!!

What a load of rubbish gets posted on this forum. I despair.

How on earth Amos is clearly a better keeper than Brill is beyond me. The goals and the number of them conceeded by Amos is truly shocking. He makes a mistake and he us not attacked verbally, Brill makes a mistake and the vitriol directed at him is ridiculous.

Amos is clearly better than Brill? No, his face just fits this clique is all.

What about the saves made? Teams confidence in the keeper? How manager's rate them?

Brill made alot of mistakes before he got abuse from fans.

Also, what about how the team are playing? Brill was in when the team was playing better, he knew he would be infront of him, Amos has had Hazell Todd Trotman and Tarky infront of him in space of 2 months.. Brill had Hazell Jarret and Mvoto knowing who would definitely play in a space of 5 months..

Edited by RobOAFC

good luck to Brill - He's responded to the buffoons once already after being dropped and came back looking a stronger character, hopefully he'll do it again and prove a few more 'never have beens' wrong again.

How on earth any self respecting so called Latics fan can 'pre-wish' that Brill struggles is beyond me.

Amos has gone back, made a few good saves, cost us a few goals and should develop into a decent keeper in the future. Brill is ours,so get behind him and if he does drop a bollock, why don't you respond in the same way as you did when Amos dropped one - get behind him instead of the :censored:e some of you will be wanting to ball and shout at him - it'll do nowt for him!!

good luck to Brill - He's responded to the buffoons once already after being dropped and came back looking a stronger character, hopefully he'll do it again and prove a few more 'never have beens' wrong again.

How on earth any self respecting so called Latics fan can 'pre-wish' that Brill struggles is beyond me.

Amos has gone back, made a few good saves, cost us a few goals and should develop into a decent keeper in the future. Brill is ours,so get behind him and if he does drop a bollock, why don't you respond in the same way as you did when Amos dropped one - get behind him instead of the :censored:e some of you will be wanting to ball and shout at him - it'll do nowt for him!!

brill is this seasons boo boy,so that explains why people want him ti fail...sad really because if a keeper fails then the team fails as well...defence can only do so much.

brill on his day makes some pretty decent saves and has kept us in games at times,he is prone to dropping clangers just like any other keeper (robert green ben foster)

amos is a good young prospect,has made some pretty decent saves at times,but has also let in some sloppy goals just like brill....

we will go with what we have now so people better get used to it...at the end of the day if our strikers were bagging every game and we had a goal scorer in the leagues top 5,then we wouldnt be talking about this would we..

Dean Brill has played 137 professional games, Ben Amos has played 27, a difference of 110, Dean Brill is roughly four and half years older than Amos, for Amos to catch Brill for the time frame he has to play about 25 games a season- something he isn't going to do unless he plays some of them in our League (as I don't think he is good enough for regular first team Championship football yet).

Dean Brill IMHO has been villified thanks to a few mistakes which cost us points early in his Latics career, Amos had a ricket as bad if not worse than Brill's in his second game, people forget it though as Saints scored another 5 in the same game with which he had no chance.

The biggest difference between the two as far as I can tell, over their careers to date, stems down to where they were born. Brill born in Luton started his career at Luton- despite some interest from Liverpool. Amos born in Macclesfield- which lets face it is United country, "played" for United. I think Amos is probably going to be a better goal-keeper than Brill (but then again Brill was quite hyped when he was Amos's age) but I don't think there will be that much in it. If Amos ends up playing regularly in the Prem and the highest Brill gets is this level then I think a large factor in the difference is luck. If Amos really is going to be that good then the goalie that plays to give VDS a rest would be a 20 year old from Macclesfield (I won't mind too much being proved wrong in the future as if Amos is that good he will end up in England squads)

In many ways a lot of keepers might have moaned about loosing their job to a loanee from higher up the league (especially one with as little experience as Amos had), I think it speaks a lot for Brill's professionalism that he has kept quiet and has quietly gotten on with his job and has seemingly given Amos a fair amount of support. In fact IIRC correctly he was better after Flahaven's first spell than prior

In all honesty I'd rather we win 5-4 with Brill in net than draw 0-0 with Amos.